Author Topic: Your thoughts on Kemetism?  (Read 8240 times)

October 01, 2014, 09:21:16 AM
Read 8240 times

Agyana

• Settling In

• View Profile
Hello :D

This time I want to ask about kemetism/kemeticism, I knew two kemetics, one was a boaster, he was only saying things like "I will go to try my new adquired siddhi" everyday or "I'll reach samadhi in 3 months", but the other is a reliable person to me but refuses to talk about it.

What do you think about this... religion (?) or what experiences you had with it, maybe from any kemetic you know :3 alternatives to this system will be welcome as well :D

Greetings,
Agyana
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 11:44:54 AM by Agyana »

October 01, 2014, 05:31:21 PM
Reply #1

Rayn

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    <insert something cynical and sarcastic>
    • View Profile
    • Noein
The short answer is that Kemetic applies to Neo-Pagan practices and religions that are derived from some Egyptian thought.

I view that religion as I view all other religions, essentially. A religion is a religion.
Noein - A Resource on Psi, Science, and Philosophy
but sorcery refuses to be a metaphor for mere literature--it insists that symbols must cause events as well as private epiphanies. It is not a critique but a re-making. It rejects all eschatology & metaphysics of removal, all bleary nostalgia & strident futurismo, in favor of a paroxysm or seizure of presence.

October 02, 2014, 05:43:43 AM
Reply #2

Agyana

• Settling In

• View Profile
Well, a religion is a religion, but religion is a set of dogmas about divinity, no matter if it's atheism, monotheism, polytheism, agnosticism, but for example, Kemeticism is sort of kabbalah+yoga/tantra mixed with egyptian theology, I mean, everyone can make a mix and sell it, so the point of the question is not if it's like every religion, is: "it's a worth system?"

Despite the belief that claims "every religion have a bit of truth", is not the same for yoga, and catholicism, they both can lead to samadhi if we take the bhakti yoga statements, but they are not essentially equal

Anyway thanks for your reply, every opinion is welcome for me ^^

October 02, 2014, 10:09:50 AM
Reply #3

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
Sacred Magic of Ancient Egypt by Rosemary Clark is an excellent book on that paradigm of magic and ritual. This manuscript delves into the Song of Birds, a legend about a Pharoah's son who acquired the Language of Thoth, astrology, celebrations, working with the Neteru and so much more. I only read a fragment, but from I did read I learned a lot.

Ancient Egyptian Divination and Magic by Eleanor L. Harris is also a very good (and cheaper) resource. She takes translations straight from the Papyrus from the Book of the Dead and Coming Forth by Day and also transcripts from E. A. Wallace Budge, a well known Egyptian Scholar.

Check out Sacred-Texts.com for free online texts, which I am pretty sure has E.A. Wallace Budge and other older Egyptian Scholarly works.

From personal experience, I worked with Anpu, Pasht, Aset, Asar, and Heru by giving offerings and dedicating meditation, energy, and magic to them. Aset and Heru were lovely to work with, helping me have a deeper connection with my mother, Pasht helped me in my creativity and ability to let loose and Sekhmet (some say Pasht's counterpart) has helped me find deep healing and also strength in my martial arts and fitness. Anpu guided me through the Abyss (which is never easy) but I never really had a strong link to Asar. I mainly had him on my altar to respect the Holy Trinity of Asar, Aset, and Heru. Djehuti and Ma'at were also great guides on my journey to find truth and serenity on the mystical path. Although I do not directly work with these archetypes anymore, I am able to see their blessings and gifts much stronger than when I had statues and gave offerings. Unlike what some magical Egyptian texts claim, I never forced the Neteru to do my bidding nor used demeaning and authority abuse to get my way (the Ancient Egyptians believed that as a mage you had complete over the Neteru because not only did you know how to wield magic, you were also human so you could travel between realms from spiritual to physical and back again).

Even so, Like Rayn said, Kemeticism is just neo-pagan Egyptian magic, much like Hellenic and Dianic Greek paganism. They're all reconstructions. Sorry for the wall of text, but I hope this helps.
"Spirit is in a state of grace forever.
Your reality is only spirit.
Therefore you are in a state of grace forever."

"As relfections of the Source, we are little gods."

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

"Everybody laughs the same language."

October 02, 2014, 03:26:44 PM
Reply #4

Iatros

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Here's the thing. You appear to be asking about a specific religion, but there are many groups which call themselves Kemetiic, varying widely in their beliefs and motivations. If you can provide us with the name of an organization from which you / they got the term "Kemetism" to describe some set of beliefs, it would be helpful.

Unless, of course, you are referring to any and all Egyptian revivals or alleged descendants. In that case, here is my general opinion: Ancient Egypt rose, lived and died. We know only a very little bit about it because (last I heard) less than 1% of Ancient Egyptian sites have been discovered / excavated. What's more, the civilization lasted thousands of years, worshiping differently at different times and in different parts of the countrie(s). Then, to confuse things further, random elements of Ancient Egyptian culture, theology, and magic were borrowed into other cultures that still survive today in altered forms which may contradict the original beliefs.

So what makes something "Kemetic?" I would argue that the golden standard of Egyptian-ness is that which is the most original, and therefore that the only true forms of "Kemetism" are those which adhere most closely to primary sources of Egyptian culture. I believe this to be self-evident. Then, if you are inclined to believe in magic, you should appreciate the power that has been invested into the specific symbols used by Egyptians as they originally understood them. Spiritual paradigms that last and develop for thousands of years sustain immensely powerful beings and effective metaphysical arts. Systems like the Egyptian one which knowingly and explicitly used magic and which were extremely ritualistic, even more so.

Given this, one's proximity to original ritual and symbolic understanding determines one's rapport with these beings and forces, so why would an allegedly "Kemetic" organization make things more difficult for practitioners by cluttering its system with foreign metaphysics just to fill gaps? If you think your gods are worth worshiping, learn everything you can and worship them. They can tell you the rest.

This is the safe way - in my opinion. If you start bringing other paradigms into your practice, you risk several things, magically speaking: 1) not connecting to anything; 2) co-utilizing conflicting forces or symbols; and 3) ultimately detracting from the power and integrity of the original spiritual structure that built up over millenia.

As someone who uses theology to structure my symbols in magic and is most drawn to Egyptian forms, I recognize that it is difficult to resist filling in knowledge gaps with other systems. Sometimes, I agree that it is unreasonable not to supplement with other philosophies for practical purposes, and do so myself. However, I believe that it is important that I recognize where I am supplementing, and ensure that that supplementation is legitimate and effective in its own right for my purposes. If, for instance, I thought that "siddhi" and "samadhi" were Egyptian words, and didn't know their actual meanings, this would be a problem, because then I would obviously have no reliable knowledge of either paradigm.

As far as people claiming to be rightful Pharaohs and High Priest(esse)s with the authority to arbitrate Egyptian beliefs, I have been unconvinced so far.

I hope that this was helpful, but please let me know if I was unclear about anything.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:42:37 PM by Iatros »
"And in this lies my honour and my reward, - / That whenever I come to the fountain to drink I find the living water itself thirsty; / And it drinks me while I drink it." - Almustafa

October 03, 2014, 02:09:47 AM
Reply #5

Agyana

• Settling In

• View Profile
Thanks for the experiences and the great replies :3 I'll check it one by one and comment later.

At you all said, kemeticism is a neo-pagan reconstruction from what they believed to be egyptian rites and cults, mixed and filled with traces of other systems, is like if I ask "what's with wicca?", how many wicca movements do exist? but they all have some points in commons, but let's take the Ausar Auset Society or any kemetic orthodoxy group.

If I ask to you if yoga works, it would be a very wide approach to explain, I know, but a short answer could be "stay away from xxxxx/yyyyy/zzzzz yoga" naming some scams from the new auto-proclammed gurus (?)

I'm refering specifically for "it's the reconstructionist from Kemeticism a nice approach or it's a mix a bit of everything the mad way?", the theory is ok, and I'm not wanting someone to say "yeah yeah, I'm a priest and have great powers, I'm enlightened thanks to Kemeticism", but if there's any Kemetic practitioner here, it would be great to know his opinion.
For example, if someone ask me about tantra, I would say that it's a good system but appart from the new age sects (and name a few), of course it wouldn't be so reductionist :P

By the way I appreciate your answers, and don't want to being rude or so, I believe that bhakti is more important that ritualism, but if you have a good set of techniques it do the things easier, this is my priority, because at the moment I divide my sadhana in three parts devotional/meditational(vipassana)/IIH and don't want to waste my time trying Kemeticism for the first one if I can like you both said, get from another sources and the latros "safe way", just doing an initial research :D

Greetings,
Agyana

PD: woah, I don't know what typed, I just woke up and have flu too, I'll check later the msg xD

October 03, 2014, 10:52:09 AM
Reply #6

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
I think the most important aspect of Egyptian magic and devotion is understanding the roles the Neteru (gods) played in society, how the nine bodies effect your life and world, and the symbolism of their manuscripts, tools, and architecture.

My knowledge of Egyptian culture and mythology is very basic because it has been a long while since I put the book work in. The most basic form of magic and devotion that extends world cultures and is easily accesible by most practitioners is having idols of the Neteru you wish to emulate or worship and meditating with the intent of direct communication and gnosis with them. Ceremonial rituals help tremendously, but I like my magic simple and to the point, and so I enter deep meditative states add focus on the myth and feeling of the deity I wish to work with. Sometimes they do not respond, sometimes it's all psychobabble, but sometimes there is a deep connection and you may find your discovery through gnosis in manuscripts previously unknown to you.
"Spirit is in a state of grace forever.
Your reality is only spirit.
Therefore you are in a state of grace forever."

"As relfections of the Source, we are little gods."

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

"Everybody laughs the same language."