Author Topic: Looking for opinions  (Read 7669 times)

September 16, 2014, 02:12:26 AM
Read 7669 times

SpectralPsycho

• View Profile
Hi everybody, long-time lurker Spectralpsycho here.

I've got an academic background in religious studies and philosophy, and I'm seriously considering doing a PhD in alternative medicine from IBAM (the Indian Board of Alternative Medicine). What I need to know is: is this institution legit? It looks okay to me -- it seems to have some pretty decent alumni listed (on the right hand side, close to the bottom of the page). And I know it's all distance learning, but that doesn't bother me. Loads of credible doctorates are wholly online now and it suits me better as I'm on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere. So, I'm really hoping for some opinions on whether or not this is a credible school.

Their website is here: http://www.altmedworld.net/news.php?id=16

Thanks in advance guys and girls!

(PS -- feel free to ask any questions you'd like)

September 16, 2014, 02:24:24 AM
Reply #1

Enchia

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I don't want to be rude but if you are considering a PhD then you should be able to these kind of judgements yourself and not ask people on the internet.

September 16, 2014, 02:35:59 AM
Reply #2

SpectralPsycho

• View Profile
Thanks for the reply, and don't worry about being rude. I don't get oversensitive on the internet.

Could you explain to me what conflates my capacity to undertake a PhD, and my knowledge of what constiutes a legitimate educational provider? I don't see the connection between the two. Other than a broad assumption of intelligence, but lets face it, smart people get ripped off all the time for not asking the right questions.

Of course, I've done some background research -- I've discovered that they are operating legally and recognised by the Indian accreditation authority (UGC), and browsed their list of alumni and their course curriculums -- but I am not an expert on India. And I don't really know what an alternative medicine university should look like -- it's obviously an unorthodox choice of subjects.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough: I'm hoping to discover what any practitioners of alternative medicine would think about this institution and the qualifications it offers, and (if there are any Indian nationals on the board) if they have an opinion / local stories etc.

This is information that, regardless of ability to do a PhD, has to be discovered somewhere. It doesn't just hide in the back of my head waiting to be found, and google has offered me only a few assurances.

Thanks, and I hope my reply doesn't come off as rude.

SP 

September 16, 2014, 08:16:00 AM
Reply #3

Silver_Archer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Prophet of Doom

• View Profile
I am from India and I had never heard of this university before in my life. Of course, that is not necessarily a bad thing. So, I decided to do some digging. First, I decided to check to see if their UGC accreditation is valid (this is very important.) This is a complete list of all universities accredited by the University Grants Commission as of the 14th of August, 2014:  http://www.ugc.ac.in/oldpdf/alluniversity.pdf

The university you've mentioned is not on that list. Now, strictly speaking even this is not necessarily a bad thing because quite literally the best universities in India do NOT directly come under the ambit of the UGC, for example the various Indian Institutes of Technology, the various Indian Institutes of Management, the Indian Statistical Institutes, and the Indian Institute of Sciences. But these are well known anomalies as each of these institutes came to be as a result of a separate legal act.

I think it's safe to say that the institute you've linked to is one you should avoid.
<Forg> Everything is adjustable when you have a saw.

September 17, 2014, 07:28:03 AM
Reply #4

SpectralPsycho

• View Profile
Thanks for the reply Silver Archer, that's very helpfull.

I double checked the list -- you are completely correct. I also looked through the UGC's list of fake universities (as well as the global ones maintained by oregon and Wikipedia, which are admittedly not complete) and couldn't see it there either. I think this is pretty weird given that the IBAM is over 20 years old and (claims to be) recognised by government / licesnsed to award degrees. You would imagine they'd be aware of it and have an opinion! I have emailed UGC (both the general enquiries and geographically specific email addresses) and not heard back, but as soon as I have done, I'll post their reply here.

I've also sent emails to some of the alumni I'm aware of. So far, only one has replied, Dr Anthony James (who is an alternative health practitioner and the head of the SomaVeda College of Natural Medicine, as well as lineage holder in the Buddhist Sawan tradition, as well as a host of other things. See here: http://www.somaveda.org/scnm-faculty/dr-j/). His reply basically states that he studied there 16 years ago and found it a positive experience, but would not reccomend it if I'm looking for acupuncture licensure in the USA, as it might not qualify me (for the record, I'm not. I don't live in America, and don't plan to study acupuncture).

I will update this thread when and if I get any further with my investigation, in case any other people out there are in a similar quandry.

Thanks to you both for your replies.

SP