Author Topic: Random mandala  (Read 7112 times)

August 29, 2014, 03:32:46 PM
Read 7112 times

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
So today during my trip home I was drawing a random mandala:

August 30, 2014, 08:46:39 AM
Reply #1

Rayn

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    <insert something cynical and sarcastic>
    • View Profile
    • Noein
The symmetry is more spherical than radial(due to the 3-D shape) which makes it not very useful as a functional mandala.
Noein - A Resource on Psi, Science, and Philosophy
but sorcery refuses to be a metaphor for mere literature--it insists that symbols must cause events as well as private epiphanies. It is not a critique but a re-making. It rejects all eschatology & metaphysics of removal, all bleary nostalgia & strident futurismo, in favor of a paroxysm or seizure of presence.

August 30, 2014, 10:28:58 AM
Reply #2

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
It's actually quite a common to have leaves around that cover other leaves, but I see what you mean.

August 30, 2014, 03:53:33 PM
Reply #3

Rayn

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • Noein
It's actually quite a common to have leaves around that cover other leaves, but I see what you mean.

That is a repeating motif, so that is more aesthetic than functional(much like a Celtic knot). The problem is not really your motif. Mandalas have radial symmetry. Yours has an incomplete one, regardless of the motif you used. It lacks the radial symmetry needed for it to be functional in terms of meditative practices. Nice drawing, though. Your center is radial; however, the symmetry is not preserved when you make it spherical, in your drawing, at the outer edges. The outer edges of the petals don't have a radial symmetry to the center. Versus adding more petals to make it look 3-D, you should shade them. Along the inside, or outside, of the lines you should make them darker and then use a slightly lighter shade around that darkened line. It will make it look 3-D without the extra petals spoiling the symmetry. Shading creates a 3-D effect without having to add a lot of elements in that depth is implied via the presence of varying levels of darkness and contrast. So versus having a lot of elements in a complex arrangement where that can make preserving symmetry hard, you can make use of shading techniques to suggest depth with less elements that are distracting. The amount of elements you have makes it distracting, which is why I said it is not very functional or practical. For example, say you draw a circle. If we assume that the light is shining from overhead, making the bottom lines of the circle darker while shading the inside via curving strokes done to the bottom from lighter to darker(which would be your darkest part) would make it appear to be spherical with one element. We can apply this same concept to your sketch where we subtract distracting elements and still imply to the eye that it is 3-D. It seems as if you attempted to make it 3-D via implying there are other shapes behind it via having their edges stick out, but that spoils the symmetry. The grid paper you used actually makes it easy to see in that starting from a point and moving diagonally from the edge of a petal to the center, the line would not hit the center. It hits the bottom portion.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 04:28:03 PM by Rayn »
but sorcery refuses to be a metaphor for mere literature--it insists that symbols must cause events as well as private epiphanies. It is not a critique but a re-making. It rejects all eschatology & metaphysics of removal, all bleary nostalgia & strident futurismo, in favor of a paroxysm or seizure of presence.

September 02, 2014, 03:12:37 AM
Reply #4

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
Btw, this is how my mandalas look like when not drawing them  in the bus:

September 02, 2014, 06:50:07 AM
Reply #5

Rayn

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • Noein

Trying using a compass. I have one and use it when I am drawing circles, otherwise, they are uneven.

September 02, 2014, 06:53:33 AM
Reply #6

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation

Trying using a compass. I have one and use it when I am drawing circles, otherwise, they are uneven.

Why? To screw the meditation process of actually drawing the mandala?

September 02, 2014, 06:58:43 AM
Reply #7

Rayn

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • Noein
Why? To screw the meditation process of actually drawing the mandala?

That's now how you actually use them, though. Mandalas are useful for meditation due to the radial symmetry that naturally draws your eye to the center after creation. I have a compass and protractor to keep things straight. 

September 02, 2014, 07:19:00 AM
Reply #8

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
True, but the process of drawing is meditation itself.

September 02, 2014, 09:04:52 AM
Reply #9

Rayn

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • Noein

Yeah, but that doesn't mean you need to draw like crap.

September 02, 2014, 09:06:36 AM
Reply #10

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation

Yeah, but that doesn't mean you need to draw like crap.

Wait there homeboy, show me how you draw only with hand ;-).

September 02, 2014, 10:48:03 AM
Reply #11

Rayn

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • Noein
Wait there homeboy, show me how you draw only with hand ;-).

You can hold it with one hand and put a pencil in the little holder opposite the needle and turn it with your wrist. This allows you to make perfect circles at the size that you want it with one hand.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:52:06 AM by Rayn »

September 02, 2014, 11:00:16 AM
Reply #12

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
You know there are compasses with graphite so you don't need to strap any pencil to it, right?
Also you act as if I didn't know what compasses is, it's not like it's comonly used in geometry classed at the elementary school or something ;-).

What I meant was you called my drawing crappy. Then be my guest and show if you can draw better circle than I without using any geometric tools.