Author Topic: What is the best book for beginnners?  (Read 3637 times)

July 19, 2014, 05:15:49 AM
Read 3637 times

ActionOfAll

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
I'm looking to get started in OOBE's or Astral Projection ( I'm slightly confused on what the difference is as well) so does anyone have any good, well-rounded, practical instructional books for beginners. I'm looking to shy away from books that contain a lot of hocus-pocus and theories on how it works - hoping for something more manual-like and practical.

July 19, 2014, 12:25:37 PM
Reply #1

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
I'm not aware of any books that correctly teach projection except the IIH, but there is a Veritas article which may be useful to you even if you may overlook the Hermetic philosophy in it.

The Art of Skrying, by Veos.

Also, there's these two threads:

Etheric Projection Methods, by solstice.
Psychic Projection: Explained, by solstice.

Different people have different ideas of what projection is and how it works. Those three threads should offer you the common views.

As far as my own understanding goes: OBE's are usually, at least the way I understand the terms origin, unintentional events. Astral Projection, classically, refers to the conscious temporary separation of the Astral Body or Soul from the Physical Body in order to explore, and this is common in shamanistic and magical traditions. Projection may also be done Mentally, via Mental Projection, which is more simply a projection of consciousness, which is not strictly bound to the physical body anyway. Veos explains these two as Mental and Magical Skrying.

~:Shin:~
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:29:48 PM by Shinichi »
~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

July 19, 2014, 01:32:50 PM
Reply #2

ActionOfAll

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
Thank you for the information! I happen to have a copy of IIH as well so I will look into the method presented in the book :)

November 23, 2015, 09:59:43 PM
Reply #3

bracko

• View Profile
Hi Shinichi I am satisfied with your suggestion but you can let me know any kind of good book that a beginner can use well. I am also a beginner and don't know what kind of book I should use so that I can be expert in my profession .So if you have suggestion let me know please.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 08:39:27 AM by bracko »

November 24, 2015, 01:36:53 PM
Reply #4

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
Hi Shinichi I am satisfied with your suggestion but you can let me know any kind of good book that a beginner can use well. I am also a beginner and don't know what kind of book I should use so that I can be expert in my profession .So if you have suggestion let me know please.

Before Shinichi answers. You might want to try IIH or if you are not into that stuff then I can wh*re myself with this: https://www.scribd.com/doc/171161878/Magickal-Curriculum
Can also be downloaded here on the forum as a pdf :).

November 24, 2015, 04:38:31 PM
Reply #5

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook

Depends on exactly what you want to do and what your profession is. Different paths have different skill sets and training methods. A shaman is different from a witch, which is different from a wizard, which is different from a magician, which is different from a chaote, which is different from a priest, which is different from a sorcerer, and on and on. If you know exactly what path you want to follow, it will be easier to study the literature and meet the people of that specific path.

For general development, I second the recommendation of Initiation Into Hermetics (IIH) by Franz Bardon. The first three steps especially is good basic development, which transfers into almost all other paths even if you don't continue with the IIH. Akenu's work is good, and my Fundamental Development paper was written specifically for beginners who don't know quite what they want to do yet, providing basic training that transfers into almost whatever you want to do later.

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

November 24, 2015, 10:56:56 PM
Reply #6

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
@Shinichi: Didn't know that you have written a paper. I definitely have to check it out once I get to the office :)

November 25, 2015, 04:19:44 AM
Reply #7

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
I posted my first draft of it here a year ago. Everyone just ignored it. lol The download link I posted above is for the latest PDF version. I also had Araignee lift my "must be 7 days old to post links" limit over on AL, and it's in the Tutorial forum over there now too.  :)

November 25, 2015, 04:24:28 AM
Reply #8

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
I posted my first draft of it here a year ago. Everyone just ignored it. lol The download link I posted above is for the latest PDF version. I also had Araignee lift my "must be 7 days old to post links" limit over on AL, and it's in the Tutorial forum over there now too.  :)

Yeah, Veritas really did have some activity issues at the time. But times are changing and Veritas slowly goes back up :).

November 26, 2015, 11:27:50 PM
Reply #9

Ekstatikos

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    "It was ME! I was the turkey all along...!"
    • View Profile

You should write more Shinichi, I'm sure others besides me are curious about how you got to the point you are now, and the success you're having on your path.
~ Io Daimon Eriounes Theon ~

"Success is thy proof: argue not; convert not; talk not over much!" ~ Aleister Crowley, Liber AL vel Legis

To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Be Silent, and To Liberate

November 27, 2015, 04:04:15 AM
Reply #10

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
I've written quite a lot just in forum posts, I simply haven't been on Veritas because there's rarely any interesting discussions to partake of these days. Or any of the other days of the past several years, for that matter. :P You might like my IAO project, if you haven't seen it yet. Though, I'm sure Akenu would prefer I post it here on Veritas instead of linking it.  :cow:

As for how I got where I am, well. I wrote about a fair bit of that in my testimonial post. My time with TDS, my Yoga adventures, being God Claimed. Ah, fun times.  :biggrin: Besides that, I can honestly say that magic has simply always been part of my life and I am simply living my True Will and Life Path accordingly. From my early youth where I was cured of a serious ailment by a faith healer in church, to suffering at the hands of a group of witches hired by my sisters boyfriend at the time to kill me and my parents (who strongly disallowed his relationship with my sister), to the various Initiations that Nature decided to put me through from age 10 (including the Elemental Trials, which Prophecy went through in his Quarantine, and Levi wrote of as being very basic First-Step Initiations), to remembering the Mysteries of Berserkrgang and playing around with them as a teenager (I seriously don't recommend anyone "play" with War Magick, seriously), to meeting Prophecy here on Veritas and going through everything that lead up to being God Claimed and everything Wyrd that's happened since.

I can thus truly say that I do not do magic, I live it, both the practical sorcery aspects and the spiritual development aspects. And my life is consequently quite...interesting. :)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 04:23:04 AM by Shinichi »

November 29, 2015, 10:58:56 PM
Reply #11

Steropes

• Settling In

• View Profile
    • Tibetan Heart Yoga
I'm curious, Akenu, Shinichi, what would be the best entry point for evocation for someone with no experience? Specifically astral/mental wandering, plane/sphere work and evocation of elemental & planetary beings etc?
Mindís nature is and always has been buddha. It has neither birth nor cessation, like space.

~ Garab Dorje

November 30, 2015, 12:17:17 AM
Reply #12

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
@Steropes: I would personally say you should start with meditation and thaumaturgy

Considering thaumaturgy I would recommend the Dynamic PSI course here at Veritas as it is very similar to what I have been taught.

November 30, 2015, 03:51:17 AM
Reply #13

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
I'm curious, Akenu, Shinichi, what would be the best entry point for evocation for someone with no experience? Specifically astral/mental wandering, plane/sphere work and evocation of elemental & planetary beings etc?

Read Initiation Into Hermetics. Bardon teaches most of that in his first book via step-by-step instruction, and once you have completed Step 8 you are ready to practice his second and third books, on Evocation and Incantation.

November 30, 2015, 05:59:47 AM
Reply #14

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation

Read Initiation Into Hermetics. Bardon teaches most of that in his first book via step-by-step instruction, and once you have completed Step 8 you are ready to practice his second and third books, on Evocation and Incantation.

That. I actually considered this answer but thought that IIH is out for some reason :-/