Author Topic: Ask any question about Qigong or Yoga.  (Read 24457 times)

June 17, 2014, 05:52:06 PM
Reply #15

Mindlessinvalid

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Crazy and Can't Get out of Bed
    • View Profile
The Soul Mirror is a training method to ready one's self for Hermetic Magic. You write down mercilessly all your flaws and then without exaggerating write down your virtues. You then rate them and then assign them to whatever key you're learning. This paints a perfect portrait of the self in a very clear fashion that allows for introspection without idealization. The thing is that I HAVE concrete knowledge of all my faults, but I never do anything with that knowledge.

The reason I want discipline is because I can trace every single thing that I find myself discontent with in my life directly to one of two vices, lack of motivation and lack of discipline.

I honestly don't know why I am attracted to neigong and daoist practices in general, but I can say that I am. It's the tradition that has solidly captured my interest most solidly out of any paradigm. Chaos Magic was a bad fit for someone as mercurial as myself, Hermetic Magic is too rigid, some paradigms are too poorly understood now for me to follow them reliably with all the misinformation spread in the name of a quick buck.

I've noticed that after practicing dantian meditation steadily for a days I end up worse off than before after one lapse in self control.

I want to overcome my lack of constancy in practice and my lack of self control because I've got several rare gifts(not relating to metaphysics, I wouldn't know if I have any knack for occultism) that are being completely squandered because I refuse to do anything with them.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 05:55:28 PM by Mindlessinvalid »
Clothes make the man, and naked people have little or no say in society.

July 12, 2014, 10:39:20 AM
Reply #16

Dash

• Settling In

• View Profile
Can practicing Qigong help in developing strength (not sure if that's really the right word) in other paths?

July 12, 2014, 10:59:13 AM
Reply #17

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
It depends on how you define strength. I'll guess that you mean something in the direction of proficiency, or if Qi Gong can be of support to overall progress.

In that case, the answer is yes, depending on your other paths and what you focus on. My primary "path" is one of magic, in a system which works heavily with internal energy. So certain forms of Qi Gong, or Qi Gong based martial arts like Taiji Quan, Xingyi, and so on can serve as a good supplement to my overall aims.

Whether or not Qi Gong will be useful as a supplement to your primary practices depends on you, what your primary practices and ideologies are, and how much spare time you have for supplements in the first place -- because if you're focusing on a particular path, it's usually wise to not practice so many different things that you can't make progress with your primary path. Figure out where you're at and where you want to go, then you'll be able to understand what can help you reach your destination.

~:Shin:~
~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

June 29, 2015, 02:24:08 PM
Reply #18

Explorer

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
Which is the most Effective Qigong exercise for a complete beginner that can be safely practised without a teacher for health and vitality purpose ?

any links ?

thanks
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 02:28:36 PM by qwert »

July 14, 2015, 01:27:08 AM
Reply #19

TheAghora

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
Qi Gong is the watered down aspect of Nei gong, though traditionally the sifu would teach both. My sifu taught me both Qi Gong, and Nei Gong, in Wuji style Xingyiquan. Will it help you? It can't hurt. It will strengthen your body, and not just physically. Ever stand in Ma Bu or San Ti Shi for an hour? It doesn't only take strength from your legs, lower back, stomach, and other muscles. It also takes a very strong mind; a developed WILL to be able to do this as well, and self discipline to reach this point.  These are aspects of self development that you need along any spiritual path I have seen that demands development. How can you be expected to meditate for two hours or more in one session if your back isn't strong enough not to cause you pain? To sit static in one position without being bothered? I would generally say that Qi Gong (and later Nei Gong if you find a teacher and want to learn) would help anyone a lot. Even if you chose a path of Magic (say, for example; Hermetics), Qi Gong would still be of benefit to you. It would strengthen your muscles, develop balance, build endurance, teach you to develop, move, and store Qi (Which, in Hermetics, they do the same thing with different techniques and call it something different, though Vital Force energy is is still Qi, regardless. I would say go for it. If you want a system that will teach you Qi Gong, that isn't too slow and will keep you entertained, I say go with Chen style Taijiquan. It's harder then what you see, and you learn to emit Fa with it. By harder, I mean it's a harder style of Tajiquan. If you can find a Xingyiquan teacher locally that will teach you properly, that would be even better. As Xingyiquan teaches you the basic 5 elemental forms, though few teachers in the West will teach you how they are connected to the 5 major internal organs, that each organ is represented by an Element, and that each sense is also connected to an Organ, and represented by an Element. You end up learning a lot about your body this way, and different ways to manipulate the Elements, and your Qi. Though Xingyiquan is much more in depth then this, that is the basis.

My two cents anyway.

August 06, 2015, 05:52:51 PM
Reply #20

Explorer

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
Qi Gong is the watered down aspect of Nei gong, though traditionally the sifu would teach both. My sifu taught me both Qi Gong, and Nei Gong, in Wuji style Xingyiquan. Will it help you? It can't hurt. It will strengthen your body, and not just physically. Ever stand in Ma Bu or San Ti Shi for an hour? It doesn't only take strength from your legs, lower back, stomach, and other muscles. It also takes a very strong mind; a developed WILL to be able to do this as well, and self discipline to reach this point.  These are aspects of self development that you need along any spiritual path I have seen that demands development. How can you be expected to meditate for two hours or more in one session if your back isn't strong enough not to cause you pain? To sit static in one position without being bothered? I would generally say that Qi Gong (and later Nei Gong if you find a teacher and want to learn) would help anyone a lot. Even if you chose a path of Magic (say, for example; Hermetics), Qi Gong would still be of benefit to you. It would strengthen your muscles, develop balance, build endurance, teach you to develop, move, and store Qi (Which, in Hermetics, they do the same thing with different techniques and call it something different, though Vital Force energy is is still Qi, regardless. I would say go for it. If you want a system that will teach you Qi Gong, that isn't too slow and will keep you entertained, I say go with Chen style Taijiquan. It's harder then what you see, and you learn to emit Fa with it. By harder, I mean it's a harder style of Tajiquan. If you can find a Xingyiquan teacher locally that will teach you properly, that would be even better. As Xingyiquan teaches you the basic 5 elemental forms, though few teachers in the West will teach you how they are connected to the 5 major internal organs, that each organ is represented by an Element, and that each sense is also connected to an Organ, and represented by an Element. You end up learning a lot about your body this way, and different ways to manipulate the Elements, and your Qi. Though Xingyiquan is much more in depth then this, that is the basis.

My two cents anyway.

hi was this for me sorry i got confused with these Chinese names

could you please give me a youtube link to chi gong exercise for a beginner  to improve health and vitality that is safe and effective without teacher ?

thanks

February 02, 2016, 08:38:19 PM
Reply #21

nativewolfie

• View Profile
Do qikong and yoga go together well?

February 03, 2016, 10:04:00 AM
Reply #22

Lakshmi

• Settling In

• View Profile
So... I've been practising yoga for several years, but am fairly new to qigong.

Silly question: when I stand on one leg and rotate the opposite ankle, I find that my wrist (same side as ankle) wants to rotate along with the ankle. It's much more noticeable on the right side than the left.

So... What causes that? Are the wrists and ankles in sympathy? Are the motor neutrons near each other in the brain? Why is it more pronounced on one side than the other?

February 03, 2016, 12:40:22 PM
Reply #23

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
In Chinese Kung Fu your Wrists and Ankles, Elbows and Knees, Hips and Shoulders all work together to form the Six Connections. Why they are inbalanced can be caused by various factors. Maybe your mind is adjusting to the connections, maybe your body is trying to find balance, maybe your consciousness is split between the two areas instead of being united, or maybe you're just a marionette and your puppet master is messing with you  :eek:
"Spirit is in a state of grace forever.
Your reality is only spirit.
Therefore you are in a state of grace forever."

"As relfections of the Source, we are little gods."

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

"Everybody laughs the same language."

February 05, 2016, 11:57:24 AM
Reply #24

Lakshmi

• Settling In

• View Profile
Next question: when making qi balls .... What would happen to the qi if you didn't make a ball from it? Does it deplete some sort of bodily reservoir to create it?

The qigong instructor in my town ends with this sort of elaborate belly-rubbing exercise, and visualisation of protective spheres ... and he said something like, "you don't want to just let all that chi ebb away, now that you've gathered it" ... Which made it sound as if you were gathering it from the environment....

But if you are directing it from your body through your hands into this ball... And you are just practising say, and don't have a particular purpose for the chi ball... Does it get lost, as the instructor from the qigong class suggested?

February 05, 2016, 12:43:11 PM
Reply #25

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
In my experience, the 'qi ball' will dissipate but it doesn't do much, if any, damage to your personal reservoir. With that said, it is always a good idea to center your qi into your lower dan ti'en (lower belly) or ground it into the earth so excess qi doesn't create blockages and you avoid light headedness.

If you watch kung fu or qigong practitioners, they are ALWAYS centering their qi in their lower dan ti'en before and after their sets. You don't need to visualize or spend five minutes rubbing your belly, you just need to center in your dan ti'en and stand in a sate of being and just let the qi go where it needs to go, otherwise your practice is wasted.

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

February 05, 2016, 04:11:09 PM
Reply #26

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Next question: when making qi balls .... What would happen to the qi if you didn't make a ball from it? Does it deplete some sort of bodily reservoir to create it?

The qigong instructor in my town ends with this sort of elaborate belly-rubbing exercise, and visualisation of protective spheres ... and he said something like, "you don't want to just let all that chi ebb away, now that you've gathered it" ... Which made it sound as if you were gathering it from the environment....

But if you are directing it from your body through your hands into this ball... And you are just practising say, and don't have a particular purpose for the chi ball... Does it get lost, as the instructor from the qigong class suggested?
There's multiple schools of thought on this question, as to whether energy depletes. Some say it is not really energy and that there is no real "amount". Others say it is, and there is (I'm of this camp, preferring to start off assuming that metaphysical things mimic physical things until proven otherwise). For those who say it is, a well balanced exercise actually involves multiple exercises in order: grounding and centering, energy gathering, energy manipulation (the core of the practice that you want to do), then more grounding, then more centering.

Simply said, Grounding is like grounding out electrical circuits by letting the excess flow out into the earth (except in the case of these exercises, you purposefully push the excess out into the earth); it also helps get rid of negative or unhelpful feelings/energy. Centering is the act of regrouping the remaining energy within yourself, which should be a fairly normal amount for you to go about your day, and making sure that it's flowing properly. Energy gathering would then be sending your mental awareness and your energy out into your environment to touch upon the energy in the environment, and then figure out how to pull/direct it back into yourself. Various martial art forms that practice with qi normally incorporate these things into their martial practices, so it's all one seamlessly bundled package.

The actual energy manipulation can involve many things; if you're learning under a teacher, then they'll teach you a few internal things to do. If you're not learning under a teacher, and I assume you're not, then head on over to the Qi Gong articles to see what's available. Practice some light stuff first and don't get into anything too heavy.

EDIT: Oh right, qi balls. Don't bother with them. Instead learn how to feel and move the energy within your own body, preferably in a calm and gentle loop around the body (in various ways, up to down in the front like a waterfall, then under at the base to go back up again along the spine. Clockwise or counter to spin like a tornado); find what works well for you. Internal practices first :)

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

February 05, 2016, 06:51:57 PM
Reply #27

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
I will give my input on this.

First: My apologies guys, but grounding and centering is not traditionally a Qigong practice (or a Yoga practice) in many schools. It's more a psionic thing and even a borderline new-ager idea. Mind_Bender, I'm aware you learned this from your Bagua Shifu, but I'm unsure where he got it from. If you guys can quote me a book or link a book from a reputable Qigong author/teacher that includes grounding/centering in it, I will retract my words. To be clear, I practice mostly from Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming's books (The Root of Chinese Qigong and Qigong: The Secret of Youth) as well as Deng Dao-Ming's Scholar-Warrior. I also have Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body by Bruce Frantzis as well as Empty Force by Paul Dong. All of these have numerous Qigong sets and some go really in depth into Qigong theory (The Root) and none of them include grounding and centering as an exercise.

Second, Steve is right, Qi balls serve no real purpose at best and are counterproductive to Qi development at worst. My approach nowadays is that hey, if people wanna make Qi balls, let them! However, in my practice and from people I've talked to (e.g. mystic, Kendamu) Qi balls would be essentially wasting your energy. The approach is to conserve, conserve. This means (usually) abstinence from sex, proper diet and so on. It is far more productive to practice the Microcosmic Orbit and other circulations than to make Qi balls (which theoretically dissipate the Qi, but as Mind_Bender mentioned I'm unsure if that's true).

Lakshmi, if you want to practice Qi balls I would start first with the Dantian meditation found here in my Qigong study group: Dantian meditation Practice that for a week and cultivate an "empty" mindset. We don't want to force our Qi into balls in our hands and we don't want to visualize or imagine Qi gathering in the Dantian. That is a "filling" method and is detrimental to development. Instead, simply empty the mind with a focus on the Dantian and breathe, and your body will do the rest. This is an "emptying" method of meditation.

After this I would move on to the "Bringing Qi to the Hands" (Exercise 6) exercise found here. This is essentially Dantian meditation, but with a focus on the hands. This will bring Qi to the hands simply by thought as opposed to forceful methods, or visualization of energy balls.

I hope this helps. Regards.

EDIT: To make things clear for anyone else if I'm not around, I would strongly urge people to practice the methods and curriculum in my Qigong Study Group course as opposed to the methods in my articles (especially Beginning Daoist Qigong). Please refer anyone wishing to learn Qigong to the study group material, as it's far superior and not 12 years old.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:59:28 PM by Koujiryuu »
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

February 06, 2016, 12:25:05 AM
Reply #28

Lakshmi

• Settling In

• View Profile
Thanks for all the responses.

I was actually going to classes, but a) the teacher kept saying there were about a million different schools in qigong all with different ideas, which made it seem like either the specific details weren't that important or, if they were, that the chances of finding a school with the correct method were a million to one, and b) I couldn't help but notice that he looked very unhealthy himself. Dull complexion, dark circles under the eyes, pot belly. Which made the chances of his qigong being the "correct" one (if there is one) seem slim.

February 06, 2016, 11:47:25 AM
Reply #29

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
@ Koujiryuu: Both of these exercises are directly from my lineage (Medical Qigong aspect):

Grounding (Purge)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iChfo6WudcE

Center (Store)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UukeAzLxFJI

"Because Qigong practice is intended as a method for life improvement, the close is a moment in which to simply thank yourself for taking the time to take care of your health."

The Healing Promise of Qi - Roger Jahnke, O.M.D.

It is also hard to quote direct teaching from Master to Student, such as from my first Sifu, my current Instructor, and my Tai Ch'i instructor (Sifu Yan Li - Chen Family Style, not from Shaolin).

@Lakshmi: It sounds like your teacher is unhealthy. I would be wary, but follow your intuition and pay attention to how you feel before you make any decisions.