Author Topic: Type of Shield  (Read 4938 times)

May 17, 2004, 07:00:00 AM
Read 4938 times

Shadowmagic99

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I have been wondering this for awhile, but if you had enough training could you make a shield that would make you 'invisible'. Before someone yells at me, let me explain. I was thinking that if you make a strong shield, couldn't you program it to move all light from where ever it comes into contact with the shield it would be move to the opposite side of which it contacted the shield, without moving through the shield so that light didnt reflect off your body. Basically it would be like teleporting the light from one side to the exact opposite side. I'll try to illistrate

\
                  \ <------light
        Point A  \    ------
                      ----------
                   --------------    <---- shield (work with me plz)
               -------------------
                  -------------- <------ Light move from point A to B without  
                      --------   passing through the area inside the shield.
                        -----
                                \ Point B
                                  \
                                    \

Wouldnt this give the illusion that there was nothing in the space where ever the shield was? Now, obviously if possible, this would take hundreds of hours of training and practice, but i just want to see if this has any credability.

EDIT : Forget the picture, its not working for some reason.

May 17, 2004, 08:49:04 AM
Reply #1

water1

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Wouldn't it just make you look like a black human figure with no shadow? i guess it would scare people away, if that's what you want.

May 17, 2004, 09:17:36 AM
Reply #2

kakkarot

• Posts By Osmosis

• 0. The Fool... Inverted?

• Personal Text
    Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB
    • View Profile
shadowmagic99: in theory, yes.

water1: no, it wouldn't make him look black. for him to appear as a big black darkness, the shield would have to prevent the light from leaving.

~kakkarot
Philippians 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,  7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

May 17, 2004, 11:59:11 AM
Reply #3

voidmaster

• A Veritas Regular

• 70 posts!

• Personal Text
    70 posts!
    • View Profile
preventing light from leaving would not make him pitch black were surrounded by light evey day thats how we see things so if you just have light arround you there wont be any change. the absence of light is dark if you go in your room and its pitch black its because simply put no light is in your room your rooms not invisible just pitch black.  I believe your theory is wrong shadowmagic99 if there is no light to reflect back to the human eye then you seem like a standing 3-D shadow but if you could blend in to the light and colors around you...you would seem invisible to the human eye just like a camillion.

May 17, 2004, 12:05:47 PM
Reply #4

kakkarot

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB
    • View Profile
apparently, voidmaster, either you or i didn't understand what shadowmagic99 was trying to say.

i do, however, understand that preventing light from leaving an area would make that area pitchblack. and a camellion's *camouflage* isn't invisibility since it changes it's skin colour to match it's background and has nothing to do with bending light around one's body.

bending light around one's body, as i'm sure is what shadowmagic99 is talking about judging by the fact that that's what he said, would make one unable to be seen due to the way that light changes properties when "bouncing off of" objects vs the non-changing when bending around objects.

the "bouncing off of" is in quotes, because technically light photons don't bounce off. they get absorbed into the material by increasing an electron's energy and those electron's which get their energy boosted enough to increase to a higher level of orbit later (well, fast compared to real time) drop down to their regular orbit (unless they've been given so much energy that they just jump out of their orbit and off into free space) and emit the same amount of energy that was absorbed in the form of a light photon, however the new wavelength coincides with the wavelength of the colour of the material from which the photon was emitted. so if light never hits an object, it never changes it's wavelength and so when it hits a person's eye, they still see it's "original" colour (well, actually, the colour of the last thing that it WAS emitted from). so to bend a light photon around a person would leave the photon with it's "original" wavelength of colour (which is the colour the person seeing it would see).

however, the angle of the photon's path would need to be EXACTLY perfectly the same as from before it started being bent around the person or else anyone "seeing" the photons would see the image from-where-the-photons-came at a slight shift from where they should be at.

~kakkarot
Philippians 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,  7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

May 17, 2004, 12:08:42 PM
Reply #5

voidmaster

• A Veritas Regular

• 70 posts!

• Personal Text
    70 posts!
    • View Profile
oh really how did i contridict myself please point it out. I think you need to read the new revised statement.

May 17, 2004, 12:20:02 PM
Reply #6

kakkarot

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB
    • View Profile
that part where you say something about light being around a person making them not pitchblack: we only see things if the light hits our eyes. if the light stays around the person and never reaches our eyes, we'd never see them. and in actuality, we'd not see just a 3-d shadow, but we'd actually see a full darkness from that person and behind them too since they would be pulling in all the light from behind them (in respect to the orientation of whoever is viewing him/her) such that we couldn't see any of that light either (and by proxy, none of the objects from which that light was emitted).

~kakkarot

May 17, 2004, 12:24:39 PM
Reply #7

voidmaster

• A Veritas Regular

• 70 posts!

• Personal Text
    70 posts!
    • View Profile
actually i was editing before I asked you were the mistake was cause i didnt
read what you wrote untill I fully revised my paragraph you just happened to comment before i had a chance to completely edit what i typed in and i can see you have been doing quite a bit of editting yourself

May 17, 2004, 12:33:05 PM
Reply #8

voidmaster

• A Veritas Regular

• 70 posts!

• Personal Text
    70 posts!
    • View Profile
but i can admit i was wrong on both counts when you said making a shield that preventing light from leaving i assumed the shield was see through there fore the light wouldnt be masked but now i see what you saying and as for his theory I just dont know about it because if you dont see any light you should see dark like as i said when i said if you walk in a room with no light its not invisible its just pitch black.so explain to me cause i aint gettin it.
and type fast im dieing for the anwser not being sarcastic i just get pumped over dumb things :elephant:

May 17, 2004, 02:01:50 PM
Reply #9

kakkarot

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB
    • View Profile
cause if the light is bent around the person with the shield, presumably the light carries on it's original path after having been bent around.

ie, ----___--->

where the ___ was where it was bent around the person.

~kakkarot

May 17, 2004, 04:28:31 PM
Reply #10

Nekodaimyo

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
Stick with the hedge shield, it works fine. Tis one of my favorites to boot.
You can find some halfway decent directions on psipog, experiment with it and practice.
I really like the hedge shield. :D
世界の支配者と言われると、お世辞でもうれしい。

May 17, 2004, 05:59:05 PM
Reply #11

wavemaster of psi

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
what the hell are you talking about? fill me in
once something is written in history it can not be erased...

May 18, 2004, 06:23:40 AM
Reply #12

Shadowmagic99

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I would like to know what voidmaster is trying to say. I dont understand what he thought i meant. Anyway, i will try to clarify what i said before, although i dont have that much time right now.

First, for anyone to see anyting, light has to be emmited or reflected (or 'bounce off of', as kakkarot said) of the object or surface. If i had said that all light would be trapped inside the shield, then i think voidmaster would be right, but i said that the shield would be programmed to redirect light around the sheild and place it back in its path at the EXACT same angel, but at the other side of the shield. As far as i could think of, this should give the effect that nothing is in the space where the shield is.

There is a problem though. While i was thinking about this earlier, i thought about the fact that for a human (or almost any animal) to see anything, light has to come into contact with our retinas. If all light is redirected AROUND the shield, how could the person in the shield see? no light is coming into contact with his retinas, and therefore he would be temporarily blind, would he?

Oh, and wavemaster of psi, if you wanted to know what we are talking about, wouldnt it be sensible to read the thread? Aleast read the first post to give you some idea what we are talking about.

EDIT: If anything i say/have said is wrong, please correct me. I do most everything i say off the top of my head, unless someone asks for proof.

May 18, 2004, 07:27:29 AM
Reply #13

Lightbringer

• Posts By Osmosis

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Spiritual Warrior
    • View Profile
Shadow: No, you were correct. Your idea of how to make yourself invisible is theoretically sound.  And kakkarot was right that if you absorb the light you would appear completely black.

I don't have a frickin clue what voidmaster is trying to say, seems to me he just doesn't understand the physics surrounding light....
The thing that really fascinates me about people is their ability to have no idea what's going on even though it's going on in plain sight all around them and the even more amazing tendency to argue violently when one of these obvious things is presented to them.

May 18, 2004, 07:30:22 AM
Reply #14

wavemaster of psi

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Quote from: Shadowmagic99
I would like to know what voidmaster is trying to say. I dont understand what he thought i meant. Anyway, i will try to clarify what i said before, although i dont have that much time right now.
... etc

i did read the thread but again it did not make sence to me but now i understand thank you...shadowmagic
once something is written in history it can not be erased...