Author Topic: What's ur personal experience w/ Om Namah Shivaya mantra?  (Read 6044 times)

February 13, 2014, 04:59:56 AM
Read 6044 times

wondering

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
Maybe this is the right place to post my question. Coz this also concern with how it affects the energy system.

I was curious how it affects your energy system, relationship with people, psychic development and life in general chanting the Om Namah Shivaya mantra for several months/years?

I'd like to know your very own personal experience and not with the experience of others or from books or from what the teachers/gurus have said to you.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.
              - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

February 16, 2014, 10:13:08 AM
Reply #1

lifeforce

• View Profile
It's a topic I'm also interested in. I was about to start this as part of my daily cultivation practice and wondered, like yourself, what benefits it would have on me.

February 17, 2014, 05:05:29 AM
Reply #2

mystic

• Veritas Furniture

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
keep in mind that the primary focus of a mantra is to still the mind to enter deeper levels of stillness. In this, anything can be a mantra (even bla bla bla) if it stills the mind.

Stilling the mind and entering full absorption is the primary purpose of the mantra. I wouldn't focus on anything else.

February 17, 2014, 05:43:47 AM
Reply #3

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
This mantra generally fills me with a disgust. Shiva isn't my deity and he has always looked a bit too sissy for my tastes, therefore the whole "I surrender to Shiva" thing is against my tastes and therefore ineffective for me.

P.S. Don't take this wrong, I am just writing down my own experience here....

February 17, 2014, 05:54:06 AM
Reply #4

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
This mantra generally fills me with a disgust. Shiva isn't my deity and he has always looked a bit too sissy for my tastes, therefore the whole "I surrender to Shiva" thing is against my tastes and therefore ineffective for me.

P.S. Don't take this wrong, I am just writing down my own experience here....

The meaning is more in line of praised be lord shiva than I surrender or I bow to lord shiva. Also the androgynous depictions of shiva are based on the hinduist aesthetics. Shiva helps with overcoming the base ego helping to transform to the higher self. Also he's married with Kali/Shakti and keeps her in check, so I couldn't really agree with the sissy thing, the depictions made by humans have not really anything to do with the force behind it.

February 18, 2014, 12:42:49 AM
Reply #5

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
I agree with mystic when it comes to the act of mantra. The entire spectrum of the culture and religious practice should be taken into account, and practiced, as well.  When I used Om Namah Shivaya I never really felt much, but the Presence of Shiva is quite powerful whenever I think of him, but I don't recite the mantra because I personally believe (where I am now on my path) one should be given a mantra by a Guru or through a vision of some sort (an intense spiritual experience not a simple dream or voice in your head) and never just chanted for the purpose of desire or spiritual merit. Spiritual merit is awarded in its own way no matter if you think you deserve it or not or want it or not.

I'm not arguing Akenu, this is just my opinion, but, Shiva being a sissy :confused:..., 1) what Aprophis said, 2) he is known as the Destroyer, 3) he is the Supreme Godhead of the Aghora who, although with great love and compassion, eat dead flesh, perform necromancy, and live out in the mountains and travel their homeland with a staff, a human skull (sometimes other human bones), and a few other implements of devotion usually saved for 'black' mages, yet they have no fear or restrictions. A Deity who allows all of that while also giving blessings is no sissy. He also is known for his temper and turning people and celestials into dust when they disrupt his meditation. He is also the reason Ganesha-Gunapati has an elephant head - he severed Ganesha-Gunapati's human head with his Ajna because he was blocking Shiva's way into his own home. I see Shiva as neither good nor bad, just a cultural understanding of all facets of life, much like Shakti.
"Spirit is in a state of grace forever.
Your reality is only spirit.
Therefore you are in a state of grace forever."

"As relfections of the Source, we are little gods."

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

"Everybody laughs the same language."

February 18, 2014, 03:56:46 AM
Reply #6

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
Odin hanged himself, drown himself and pierced his own chest with a spear, he literally sacrificed himself in his own name to obtain Norse runes. He tends to walk on paths camouflaged as a homeless man and he tends to trick people who do not discover his real identity.

Time from time he fights with his blood brother Loki who makes fun of him because of his interest in seidr. Loki himself gave a birth to the eight-legged horse Sleipnir that Odin is used to ride.

For me, Odin has much bigger balls than tempered Shiva because he doesn't need to run around with chopping heads to be feared and he has guts to sacrifice himself. For me even trickster Loki is much more noble and powerful god than Shiva who obviously based on your stories, Mind Bender, has control issues.

Once again I am telling this is based on personal tastes and beliefs, Om namah shivayah will simply not work for me as I do not hold any respect for Shiva, his character is alienated to me.

February 18, 2014, 05:44:08 PM
Reply #7

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
Understandable. Odin is pretty fierce. I still wouldn't call Shiva a sissy, but I see your point. The biggest difference between the two Gods/Paths, from my perspective, is Shiva being part of Hinduism is more about Devotion and Love, where Odinism and Runa are about true warrior strength and individual feats of strength and bravery, such as Thor represents. The modern Scandanavians still hold a fierce spirit being they currently 'own' (keep winnng) World's Strongest Man on a fairly regular basis. That's saying something (not to mention Jan Pall [?], in the 80's, always screaming "I AM A VIKING!" at the competitions... rest his soul).

That's all. Don't want to get this too far off topic.

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

February 19, 2014, 05:43:25 AM
Reply #8

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
And, when we are already talking about different deities, just a quick fun:

February 19, 2014, 06:11:02 PM
Reply #9

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile

February 19, 2014, 06:33:43 PM
Reply #10

RanmaBushiko

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Ki Researcher
    • View Profile
Akenu, that's hilarious.  Thank you for making me laugh my head off, today.  I needed it.
An old Radki user, still working to refine how it was originally taught.  I've been studying since 1998, for 15 years of the stuff.

I've worked as a mentor online on AIM and MSN for the past 10 years of that time, as well.

If you want to ask me about Astral Projection, Radki, or anything else, I'll give you advice.

February 20, 2014, 07:51:30 AM
Reply #11

wondering

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
I become curious bout this mantra coz this was repeatedly suggested by several indian gurus, including Babaji. They insisted that only by repeating the name of God/Deity that we can be saved, empowered, enlightened, etc...and this Om Namah Shivaha is one of the most important God's name mentioned.

I was also then thinking that maybe, there are some guru/s in the past that found some real words of power by whatever means they've acquired/learned and that some mantras they're saying are names of Gods are actually not the name/s of God/Deities but it has some kind of energies in it that manifest when repeated lets say for a million times that in order to "attract" people to keep on repeating or using it the gurus have to associates or invent some stories...like it is a name of God to make it more appealing or sacred. And the real truth was that when the vibrations of the mantra becomes in harmony with the chanter then there is some kind of "bliss" or whatever power that it be felt.

That's why, I become more interested on the experiences (especially of how it affects their energy) of those people who actually uses the particular mantra rather than being interested in the story behind it. Because it could be that many fantasy like stories was then associated with that mantra that in reality are not true and are pure inventions.

I've tried this mantra in the past, but then, after several weeks of chanting it my whole body heats up that I become afraid that it might affect by blood pressure and heart ailment that I have to stop it and forget about it. I know that there is really something in this mantra but maybe this is powerful enough that possibly I couldn't handle and manage its energies.

There are some sites that says that there are some people that come from penniless into millionaire just by chanting this mantra. This mantra also improves masculinity and relationship issue and that it activates, harmonize and activates the 5 elements in our body. How true is this in your very own personal experience?
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.
              - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

February 20, 2014, 09:09:40 AM
Reply #12

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
I see where you are getting at...

wondering, if you want to experience better focus through cheap focal meditation then sure, use Om Namah Shivayah, Om Namah Psivayah, Halee Balee Palee or anything else you desire.

But if you want to truly change something about yourself, build your own mantra and in your native language. Effects will be completely different, this was taught by Abramelin the mage, always use your native language.

I understand that various yoga, qi gong and other practices sound so exotic and mystical, but it's also a spit to the face of western cultural heritage, worse that it's the one caused by Allan Bennett and passed on to Crowley.

I do admit that repeating something one million times sounds really appealing, after all in Kalachakra we were taught something similar. If you repeat mantra "Om ah hum ho ham ksha ma la va ra ya hum pat" (which balances elements btw) 1 million times, you will unlock your psychic abilities.

I have spent great deal of time repeating the mantra, even when it was against my standpoint considering my Kabbalistic background but in the end I have switched to the simple: "Spirits, beings of the Light and of the Darkness, don't forget about me, stand by my side and do my Will" and in the end it works much better for me, if you wanted same effect with Indian mantra, you would have to adopt Indian culture, else your unconsciousness doesn't expect the "the bliss must come any moment now" effect of the long term repetition and you are just wasting your time on some "gibberish" that could as well be "I hef bick titz" with the very same effect.

I believe this is also why you asked, you don't want to waste your time.

September 26, 2017, 10:56:07 PM
Reply #13

Shivji

• View Profile
I chant om namah shivaya nearly everyday.

It give me amazing feeling.

Here very good explanation of om namah shivay that I read.http://doshidhrumit.blogspot.com/2016/08/om-namah-shivaya.html

Really very powerful mantra.

September 28, 2017, 06:17:28 PM
Reply #14

Steropes

• Settling In

• View Profile
    • Tibetan Heart Yoga
Mantra's can certainly be used to still the conceptual mind and are good tools when used so. Om Namah Shivaya has a vast, still, spacious quality which to me indicates it is associated with the highest most refined levels of awareness. It has a similar vibrational quality to other non dual deities such as Mahavairocana, Samantabhadra/Kuntuzangpo etc.
Mindís nature is and always has been buddha. It has neither birth nor cessation, like space.

~ Garab Dorje