Author Topic: Qigong Study Group: Week 6  (Read 1641 times)

July 04, 2013, 10:28:54 PM
Read 1641 times

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Week 6: Qi Healing

Welcome to week 6 of the Qigong study group.

This week we will be learning about Qi healing techniques derived from Reiki.

We have come a long way and learned how to develop our Qi and Jing. Now, we take the final step and learn how to affect others with it.

There are many methods of using Qi in self defense. If you wish to learn to use Qi in self defense, I would highly recommend you look into taking an internal martial art. There is an excellent, in depth lecture next week about the various internal martial art styles, to assist you in training your Qi for martial use. If there is not an internal martial art class near you, then one can move on to the methods of Fa Jing in my article, Intermediate Daoyin Qigong and Applications, after the conclusion of this group. However, I am not including these methods in the group because I fully believe that healing others is more useful in the long run. I also would caution anyone that Fa Jing is potentially dangerous, and it is probably beyond someone with only 6 weeks of Qigong experience to employ. Regardless, the methods of training and information is there if you seek it out. Additionally, I have made some videos demonstrating this method. If you are interested, contact me at the conclusion of the group.

I am going to ask you to find someone you trust, someone who already knows about your metaphysical practices, or someone you have talked to about them before. This person will be our test subject.

If you cannot find someone you trust you may do this exercise on yourself, using one hand on the opposite forearm. Don't purposely hurt yourself, to heal yourself, though. xD If you already have some kind of pain or persistent injury (say a bad knee, or a bruise) this will work well. Otherwise, it is best to practice on somebody else, as your own personal belief and training may influence your perception of the results.

Ask the person if they have any sort of injury or problem. These techniques are most effective on something like general pain, a scrape or a bruise. In the case of general pain, a headache, joint pain, the goal is to dull or remove the pain completely through healing Qi. In the case of a scrape or bruise, the Qi healing may accelerate the healing process. Believe it or not, I once had a large bruise from martial arts practice on my side, around the waist area. It was about 3 inches around, and dark purple/black. I used the following Qi healing technique on it, and the next day it was a much lighter brown. Two days later, it was yellow-brown, but the astonishing thing is that it had healed from the inside out; instead of receding from the edges of the bruise inward like it would normally, it receded from the center outwards (where my fingertips were when I massaged and channeled healing Qi into it).

Exercise 9: Hands-on-Healing

Technique 1: Hands-on-Healing method.

This method is the fundamental method of Qi healing. Have the person lay down on a couch. Pull up a chair next to them. Ask them where the pain is if it isn't obvious. Tell them, "I am going to prepare to channel healing Qi into you". This establishes a bond, and yes it also establishes an expectation from the person, but this is positive if they trust you and believe in what you're doing.

Close your eyes and begin to meditate. Place the palms of your hands together prayer style, and begin to rub them together lightly. Affirm to yourself that you are going to heal this person. Do Buddhist breathing and begin to focus on the Dantien. When you feel confident, centered and ready, open your eyes and stop rubbing your hands. Now, place your hands on the person's injury and focus on it. Using Yi, you want to involve the component of emotion as you channel Qi into them. The technique is similar to making a "qi ball" that we did in week 4, but you want to affirm to yourself that you are channeling positive, healing energy with the quality of love into the injury. Continue to breath deeply. Don't focus too much on the feeling of Qi moving through your body, or Qi flowing through your palms. Instead, your focus should be on the negative energy (pain) in the injury being overwritten by healing, calming, loving energy. Focus on extending healing Qi from your Dantien in a direct path into the injury. This is one of the few times I will recommend visualization- if you find it helps, visualize the healing Qi you are channeling as a golden-white light.

When you are finished, move your hands away from the person. Thank them for allowing you to try and help them. Ask them if the injury feels better, and take note of the results they say. Ask them if they felt anything out of the ordinary.

The second technique comes from Intermediate Daoyin Qigong and Applications.

Exercise 10: Deep Tissue Massage

b. Deep tissue massage

This is a powerful technique used to heal yourself or others, particularly of old, chronic injuries such as weak joints.

First, start off massaging the area with Icy Hot, Ben Gay, Tiger Balm, etc. As you work in the rub, focus your energy on the afflicted area, seeing it as a golden white light removing obstructions from the area. Now, lightly smack the afflicted area, all over, with the back of your hand, while projecting qi down into the area, clearing out the stagnant energy of the wound. Each tap with the back of the hand penetrates the injury deeper and deeper. Continue doing this until the person comments that the pain is gone, or until you feel that your efforts have removed all negative energy from the area.

Finish off by massaging the entire area with qi. Remember, the more you focus on positive emotions and energy while you do this, the more effective the treatment will be. Some injuries may require more than one treatment to completely heal.

For various reasons, this technique may not be appropriate to test on anyone but yourself. If you and another person you trust feel comfortable doing it, go ahead, but otherwise try it on your left forearm with your right hand or vice versa if you are left handed.

Practice these techniques on someone whenever you have the chance this coming week. For the rest of the time, do Dantien meditation, Baduanjin Qigong and the Microcosmic orbit.
This concludes week 6. The following week we will discuss closure of the study group, resources for continuing training and further reading in the subjects of Daoist philosophy.

Good Health and Training.
~Koujiryuu
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.