Author Topic: Suggestion  (Read 1783 times)

July 04, 2013, 07:14:52 AM
Read 1783 times

jayfk

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
You should be able to get yourself IP Baned if requested just saying.... not that I want to but I was going to use it as a consequence to me not strictly following my own advice since I'm trying to stop smoking. To my surprise I was told that this can not be done due to issues in the past.
Stop and listen so you may hear.

July 04, 2013, 09:42:25 AM
Reply #1

Theopholis

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    Achievement Unlocked: Stare at Candles
    • View Profile
I'm sure you could find a site blocker for your browser. You would still have control over it, but it would be a deterrent. However, staying away from a webpage and quitting smoking require a similar commitment to self control, and may actually contribute to a combined success.

And as a note on the smoking, I'd actually recommend that you try taking up pipe smoking. If you buy good quality tobacco, don't inhale, and practice moderation then pipe smoking is hardly a worry to your health, and can even be beneficial much in the same way that responsible drinking, such as a glass of wine with dinner, can be good for your health. Beyond that though, pipe smoking is a slow and deliberate act; it usually takes me around an hour or two to finish a bowl, and is enjoyed best when quite a bit of focus is placed both on the act of smoking, and the pipe itself, which needs a fair bit of attention to maintain an optimal burn. Compare that to cigarettes, which can be burned up in a minute or two without much thought at all ... I'm sure you can see how that would be less addicting.

Of course, it may be even better to quit first, so that you are sure you have control of yourself, and then take up pipe smoking as a reward!

The small print:
I am not a doctor, and this is not proper medical advice.
I am not a psychologist, and this is not proper advice on dealing with addictions.
Pipe smoking will make you smell really, really good. Be careful.

Edit: Oh, I see in another post that you are wanting to quit smoking in order to do a detox. In that case, only read the first two lines of this post ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 09:50:19 AM by Theopholis »
And if that doesn't work, try focal meditation.

July 05, 2013, 05:37:26 PM
Reply #2

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Some people share ip addresses, for example we have had plenty of members from the same household or sharing a campus ip address.  So we cannot have this as a general practice.

If you're trying to find a way to systematically punish yourself for smoking, then you should note that the sooner a punishment occurs the more effective it is at adjusting behavior.  Perhaps try dipping the mouth-side of all of your cigarettes in a hefty amount of cayenne powder as soon as you buy them.  :)  You could still try to smoke one, but you'd get an immediate reminder to stop.  (Try not to go inhaling powder or anything though...  Maybe some sort of habanero sauce would be a better idea.)
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

July 06, 2013, 09:38:34 AM
Reply #3

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
You should be able to get yourself IP Baned if requested just saying.... not that I want to but I was going to use it as a consequence to me not strictly following my own advice since I'm trying to stop smoking. To my surprise I was told that this can not be done due to issues in the past.
The point of willpower is not to punish yourself when you fail. It is the stop yourself, consciously recognize if/that/how/when you've failed, and then reinforce the will to do what it is that you're trying to do, or trying to not do. :) Using simple punishments does make it more effective, but they can also create drawbacks (such as a dependency upon punishing yourself, or a belief that you "deserve this" punishment).

Another, positive, means you can use is conscious focus on what you are doing whenever you pull out a cigarette. Instead of letting your body go through the motions from subconsciously learned instincts, make your mind become aware of what is going on, and focus on what is going on (ala, the awareness practices in the IIH, where you focus on what you are eating as you eat it). Ask yourself, and your body, "Do I need this cigarette?" and if the answer is no, then put it away and use your will to settle your nerves instead :) If it is yes, then smoke the cigarette mindful of every breath in, and every breath out, of the smoke as it goes through your lungs, and any other sensations you can pick up from it. As you place more awareness on the activity, it should hopefully become less of a subconscious act, and more of an act that you have to consciously agree to each time that you do it. And with continued perceptions into what's going on internally, you may even be able to eventually consciously create the same internal effects without actually smoking the cigarette, at which point when you pull it out you'll ask yourself why you even bother.

However, there is also the potential with the mindfulness, that you feel even more dependent upon the cigarettes, if you consciously reinforce the sensations and chemicals as being a normal part of your life. So you'll have to make sure to account for this possibility too ^_^

And last of my advice to you, jayfk, keep track of how many you smoke, and when you smoke them (by day, or by hour and day), as you smoke them. Don't keep the time down to the minute, as keeping it down to the hour and day, or just the day (especially if you do it in a visual chart, ie marking it on a calendar), will help your subconscious mind tally up the numbers and make associations more easily in order to see just how often you do smoke. And if you care about the money you're spending, you can use a little legend that says "One tick = $xx.xx" and then write in how much money you've spent each day, and then each week, and then each month. It probably won't help you quit cold-turkey, but if you find you smoke a lot, then it should help cut down one per time period (one per week, one per day, one per whenever) to start.

Even if you don't use any of these specific suggestions, take some time to think up and analyze whichever methods you want to use. Make sure that they have benefits, that they make you pay attention, and that you are actively doing something positive as well :)

~Steve
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 09:41:55 AM by Steve »
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?