Author Topic: Exercise 6: Bringing Qi to the Hands experiences  (Read 3212 times)

June 14, 2013, 04:10:22 PM
Read 3212 times

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Post your experiences with Bringing Qi to the Hands here.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

June 15, 2013, 05:05:07 PM
Reply #1

jimdare

• Settling In

• View Profile
My initial experience with this is that it hurts my shoulders.  Are my arms supposed to be straight or have a slight bend in the elbows?  I am also having trouble with my meditation position because of inflexibility in my hips. Because of this, I have taken to meditating in a chair; is this ok for these purposes?  It allows me to fall into a deeper meditation much more quickly than sitting cross-legged. 

I can definitely feel a tingling sensation and heat in my palms,but I also feel heat in the main trunk of my body (at the same height as I'm holding my hands).   

June 16, 2013, 01:36:13 PM
Reply #2

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
My initial experience with this is that it hurts my shoulders.  Are my arms supposed to be straight or have a slight bend in the elbows?  I am also having trouble with my meditation position because of inflexibility in my hips. Because of this, I have taken to meditating in a chair; is this ok for these purposes?  It allows me to fall into a deeper meditation much more quickly than sitting cross-legged.  

I can definitely feel a tingling sensation and heat in my palms,but I also feel heat in the main trunk of my body (at the same height as I'm holding my hands).    

Hurts my shoulders after a few minutes too. Arms have a bend in the elbows. Sitting in a chair is fine. You can also do this exercise standing up, in Wu Qi stance.

As an alternative, you may make the mudra hand sign with your hands in your lap and focus on that. The reason the arms are supposed to be straight out is because when you fill the arms and hands up with Qi they will usually feel 'heavy' for most people, and thus the arms will be lower when you finish than when you started. This is the same for the optional exercise for those having trouble. However, this may also be due to the arms tiring. So, if it's more comfortable, do it like this:

Again, the key is to be comfortable and deeply relaxed.

Begin the exercise after doing 10 minutes of Void meditation to reach a deep mind state. You should have feelings of warmth, tingling, internal heat, and neural discharges before proceeding.

Remember to focus the attention on the hands. The eyes should be open and looking at the hands. Focus your awareness in the hands, just like with Dantian meditation, and breathe. Pay attention to the meridians if you can feel them, and take note of how the Qi moves through the body. Traditionally, for meditations like this, Qi healing, and the Microcosmic Orbit, the eyes to to be half-open (a squint). However, having the eyes fully open will train you to be able to manifest Qi in your body in your normal waking state or in fighting over time.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 02:17:32 PM by Koujiryuu »
My Articles

June 16, 2013, 02:35:58 PM
Reply #3

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
For this exercise, I -did- feel the qi sensation centered strongly in my laogong points, unlike my experience with pumping qi. I didn't notice too much else with this meditation, but I was very aware of my lower Dantian, and it almost did feel like there was something surrounding/filling my hands. It was a relatively weak sensation, so I'll keep trying daily, on top of Dantian meditation to get a better feel for qi and qi movement. :)
(18:23) (@kobok) They taught me about that moth in college.
(01:06) (@kobok) (⊙ ‿ ⊙)

June 18, 2013, 12:36:04 PM
Reply #4

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
My experience.

I started off with 10 minutes of Wuwei meditation seated. I had some incense burning as an aid. When I was ready, I made the mudra and held my hands out at chest level. I opened my eyes and focused my attention and concentration into the hands. I began to do deep belly breathing while holding a focus on the hands. Almost immediately, the laogong points in my palms begin to feel hot and tingle. I continued, and I could notice Qi coming up into the arms from the lower body. My arms began to feel heavy. They tingled heavily as I continued, and the hairs on the arms stood on end. My fingertips felt electric and I could feel a flow of Qi out of each fingertip. I could feel an electric second skin around my hands, extending out around the hands by about 2 inches in each direction. Since I was staring at the hands, I could see a slight hazy aura around each finger and hand eventually. I did this for about 5 minutes. When I stopped, my hands were at a lower level than they were when I started.
My Articles

June 19, 2013, 02:54:31 AM
Reply #5

icefire

• Settling In

• View Profile
This works really fast for me. I've tried it in sitting and standing poses. Somewhere after 5 minutes my arms "lock" into the position and the fatigue disappears, so I can hold this 10 or 15 minutes comfortably. After that I stop and the hands are really warm and arms tingly.

June 19, 2013, 07:39:41 AM
Reply #6

Nan

• Settling In

• View Profile
Almost as soon as I start this I get a tight feeling in my hand which goes away after a bit to be replaced by my hands being very sensitive and then tingling and then feeling as if the insides are hard.

June 19, 2013, 10:00:06 AM
Reply #7

SMFforumID

• Settling In

• View Profile
I performed this exercise after void meditation (see my post on the results there). After putting my hands up in the given position I felt a slight tingling but with a slightly cool (or at least not a warm one) sensation. I found this slightly odd because any other time that I have ever "projected" or sent energy from my hands they felt warm, but at the interface of my hands and the the air it didn't' feel warm. Also, as I raised my arms slightly the sensation got stronger after which I lowered them and it felt even more strong, but only slightly more.

June 19, 2013, 01:28:22 PM
Reply #8

jimdare

• Settling In

• View Profile
I can distinctly feel my laogong points when my hands are in the mundra position.  The electric tingling sensation appears to throb around my hands, similar to my pulse but at a higher frequency.  After I have finished, I rub my hands on different parts of my body and can notice that part of my body begins to tingle.  I picture this as being similar to the school experiment where you place a magnet (my hand) near iron filings (another part of my body).   

June 19, 2013, 08:17:12 PM
Reply #9

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
When practicing this exercise, I am reminded of basic charging practice from magic and psionics, even as I consciously avoid that and focus on the instructions for this group.

That said, I don't feel my experience with this has been particularly strong. I can feel what I suppose are the laogong points, energy points about the size of a quarter in the center of my palms, and then my hands get warm and a bit tingly. As for the ball of energy around my hands, that doesn't seem to be very dense and there is certainly no weight to it. It is more like a light aura of the extra energy charged into my hands than an actual concentrated ball of energy.

I suppose practice makes perfect.

~:Shin:~

~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

June 20, 2013, 07:38:45 AM
Reply #10

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
The first thing I notice when I do this is the tingling in the lagong. After that the tingling spreads through my forearms and I can feel the energy flowing from them into the lagong. Then I can feel the energy spreading out to my fingers, but that's a really subtle feeling, barely noticable.

June 21, 2013, 12:27:26 AM
Reply #11

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Discoverer of Imaginary Cult

• Personal Text
    Qing Jing Wei Tian Xia Zheng
    • View Profile
I completely forgot to post my experiences for this exercise. My apologies. Having had extensive practice with this technique before, I noticed it was remarkably easier than the other exercises I've done in this class. Within moments of practicing the exercise, I felt Qi in my hands and after a minute or so, I could feel it in a ball like shape. I felt Qi flowing up from my Lower Dantian to my chest, arms, and legs. I had the same experience all week.
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

July 16, 2013, 04:47:14 AM
Reply #12

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
No problems, no issues, no obstacles, I tend to do this a lot, usual symptoms are feeling of movement from the lower dantian to the palms and followed by warmth and a sort of electricity in the hands.