Author Topic: Exercise 5: Pumping Qi experiences  (Read 3863 times)

June 14, 2013, 04:09:47 PM
Read 3863 times

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Post your experience with the Pumping Qi exercise here.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

June 16, 2013, 02:32:29 PM
Reply #1

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
At the end of this exercise, I noticed that my hands were pretty red and splotchy, like Kouji said they would be. I did feel the qi tingling sensation all over my hands, but it seemed to be most powerful in the tips of my fingers. I thought this was really weird because I was expecting to feel the sensation most strongly in my laogong points. I'm not sure if it matters where I felt it on my hands, though.

This is purely an aside, but I really like this exercise. There's something about the breath being out of sync with the movement (slow vs fast) that really appeals to me.
(18:23) (@kobok) They taught me about that moth in college.
(01:06) (@kobok) (⊙ ‿ ⊙)

June 16, 2013, 03:04:48 PM
Reply #2

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
At the end of this exercise, I noticed that my hands were pretty red and splotchy, like Kouji said they would be. I did feel the qi tingling sensation all over my hands, but it seemed to be most powerful in the tips of my fingers. I thought this was really weird because I was expecting to feel the sensation most strongly in my laogong points. I'm not sure if it matters where I felt it on my hands, though.

This is purely an aside, but I really like this exercise. There's something about the breath being out of sync with the movement (slow vs fast) that really appeals to me.

It doesn't matter where you feel it in the hands.

It is normal to feel Qi strongly in the tips of the fingers and a good sign of proper practice. Next week, when we do Baduanjin and especially Holding the Balloon, you may feel this sensation as well. When Holding the Balloon is done properly with the spine in a "C" shape the Qi manifests out of the fingertips quite strongly.
My Articles

June 17, 2013, 01:59:39 AM
Reply #3

jimdare

• Settling In

• View Profile
My hands turned red with white splotches...It was like all the blood rushed to my hands, apart from little spots that were missed out.  After I had finished, they quickly turned red without the splotches.  This also happened in my taichi class today and I had what looked like rings around my laogong points...weird

June 17, 2013, 12:30:47 PM
Reply #4

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
This exercise will make almost anybodies palms turn red, and yeah it's less common but you will see various other effects like rings of white dots around the Laogong point and so on.

Remember, though, to get the best benefit from this exercise you must do it internally. Remember to meditate and get to at least an Alpha state before doing it. If you can get Beta (neural discharges) that's even better. When you practice the exercise, focus your awareness on the Dantian. Try and feel out your back and arm meridians and see if you can notice Qi flow in them as you do it. When you're finished, don't just look at the hands physically, but also feel them out (and the arms) internally. What do you feel? Try looking at the hands with with auric vision if you have it. What do you see? These things are most important. The physical effects are basically a side effect.  :)
My Articles

June 18, 2013, 10:09:03 AM
Reply #5

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
After doing this, it kinda feels like there's a magnetic field around my hands. There's no better way to describe it for me at the moment.

June 18, 2013, 12:29:33 PM
Reply #6

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
My experience.

I started off with 5 minutes of Wuwei meditation seated on the floor. When I felt ready and calm I stood up and did the exercise. I focused on the Dantian and swung my arms and took deep breaths. I continued for about 5 minutes. As I did I could feel Qi in my legs and my hands. I finished and looked at my hands and they were bright red on the palms with white dots. I focused on the hands internally and I felt a noticeable buzzing sensation, and a tingling, as well as heat. I also had tingling on the tops of my forearms and the fine hairs on my arms were agitated. It felt like there were magnets in my arms.
My Articles

June 18, 2013, 01:15:28 PM
Reply #7

jimdare

• Settling In

• View Profile
Hmm, I can feel a distinct difference between my in-breath and my out-breath.  When I breathe out, I can feel a 'surge' of energy to the intended area (the hands); this doesn't appear to happen when I breathe in.  It's like inhalation is pulling qi back into my main trunk, and exhalation pushes it into my hands.  I think this could be a carry-over effect from my internal training, as we predominantly use the out breath to carry qi to a certain point.   

June 18, 2013, 01:19:01 PM
Reply #8

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Hmm, I can feel a distinct difference between my in-breath and my out-breath.  When I breathe out, I can feel a 'surge' of energy to the intended area (the hands); this doesn't appear to happen when I breathe in.  It's like inhalation is pulling qi back into my main trunk, and exhalation pushes it into my hands.  I think this could be a carry-over effect from my internal training, as we predominantly use the out breath to carry qi to a certain point.   

This is accurate. The same effect happens for me. Generally speaking, the in breath gathers the Qi and the out breath directs it or moves it.
My Articles

June 18, 2013, 04:30:28 PM
Reply #9

jimdare

• Settling In

• View Profile
Random thought:  the feeling I get from these exercises is very similar to the  spine-tingles I get when listening to an amazing piece of music.  Are these somehow related?

June 19, 2013, 02:59:15 AM
Reply #10

icefire

• Settling In

• View Profile
This worked great for me the first day. I got the red hands with white splotches and the warm "second skin" feeling. but for some reason doesn't do much for me now. Will try again today.

June 19, 2013, 08:48:56 AM
Reply #11

SMFforumID

• Settling In

• View Profile
I've been doing this exercise after doing the first set of exercises and without focusing on the tantien (because i haven't done the tantien meditation yet). The sensations that I felt were similar to the ones that that felt after doing lifting the sky and pushing water, but much stronger. My hands and arms felt warm and tingly in a "wispy" kind of way but I still mostly feel it in and around my hands and arms (not much past my elbows though). Also my hands were also red with some with spots.

June 19, 2013, 08:10:51 PM
Reply #12

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
I have had several of the normal experiences. Tingling, warmth, redness in the hands.

A more odd experience this time, however, is that the redness "blotching" extends beyond my palms. It has varied with each time. Once it covered the entirety of my forearms, from around my elbow down, other times it covered a bit less, and most of the time it covered at least the back of my hand as well as my palms. The extent of it has varied, but it has happened every single time this week, so far.

Kouji, I have given some thought to this, and I have considered--might this be another manifestation of a yang imbalance? The more standard option is that I am simply very sensitive to energy, and my body reacts to it accordingly. But, in a yin vs yang balance discussion as was brought up this week, I have most of the symptoms of too much yang, even some that you did not mention that I read elsewhere. Along that line of thought, this reaction seems to fit.

In any case, I thought it was interesting that it did it this time, because I practiced this exercise before when I dabbled with the qi gong articles a couple of years ago, and the redness didn't extend beyond my palms at that time.

~:Shin:~
~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

June 19, 2013, 11:21:22 PM
Reply #13

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
I have had several of the normal experiences. Tingling, warmth, redness in the hands.

A more odd experience this time, however, is that the redness "blotching" extends beyond my palms. It has varied with each time. Once it covered the entirety of my forearms, from around my elbow down, other times it covered a bit less, and most of the time it covered at least the back of my hand as well as my palms. The extent of it has varied, but it has happened every single time this week, so far.

Kouji, I have given some thought to this, and I have considered--might this be another manifestation of a yang imbalance? The more standard option is that I am simply very sensitive to energy, and my body reacts to it accordingly. But, in a yin vs yang balance discussion as was brought up this week, I have most of the symptoms of too much yang, even some that you did not mention that I read elsewhere. Along that line of thought, this reaction seems to fit.

In any case, I thought it was interesting that it did it this time, because I practiced this exercise before when I dabbled with the qi gong articles a couple of years ago, and the redness didn't extend beyond my palms at that time.

Was the redness covering the whole arm or just one side of it? Was the redness on the outsides of the arms and elbows?

A Yang imbalance could be possible. I would recommend you do the 3 Basic Qigong forms at Midnight, as well as Dantian meditation at Midnight, outside under the moon if possible, for three nights. Drink lots of cold water, and iced tea if you can, to cool the rising heat. I will talk to others about this and see what else I can dig up/verify.

Within the next few weeks we will be learning Baduanjin Qigong and the Microcosmic Orbit. Switch to doing Baduanjin Qigong at Midnight on Friday. The MCO naturally balances Yin and Yang. You will bring the firey Yang Qi in the back of the body to the front of the body, where it will be cooled down by the Yin Qi there.
My Articles

June 20, 2013, 05:50:42 AM
Reply #14

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
Was the redness covering the whole arm or just one side of it? Was the redness on the outsides of the arms and elbows?

Rather than a solid redness, it was more like the same effect that happens in the palms. It just spread elsewhere.

When it goes all the way up to the elbow, it stops just short of it. It doesn't actually show up on either side of the elbow as far as I've noticed, but below that, it shows up on both sides and covers the whole arm. The strongest effect seems to be in the hands. Even when it didn't show up on my arms, it still showed up on both sides of my hands.

I'll try the midnight thing, but it will have to be over the weekend. I might be able to start it tonight.

~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.