Author Topic: Exercise 4: Dantian meditation experiences  (Read 4940 times)

June 12, 2013, 12:52:45 PM
Reply #15

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
The last days not much changed, but yesterday I started feeling something like pressure coming from my dantien additionally to the warmth, as if there's a physical sphere pushing outwards. Today it felt like I was drawn towards it and as if energy was flowing from my chest down into it and also energy flowing up my thighs into the dantien.

June 12, 2013, 05:33:16 PM
Reply #16

jimdare

• Settling In

• View Profile
I struggle to get my right knee down, and it hurts my hip at the beginning.  After a few minutes of meditation, this pain disappears as I move into a deeper trance. After about ten minutes I feel a tingling sensation over my entire body, with emphasis on the crown of my head, and my hands.  After 30 minutes my thoughts are significantly reduced. but not absent.   

June 13, 2013, 08:07:54 PM
Reply #17

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
I actually started practicing this around the time we started week one. I got interested in it, and Kouji said I could.  :P

One of my biggest experiences with this meditation has actually come from that first week. A few days into it, I got to concentrating particularly well on the dantien. I had "found" it, and so I no longer use the poke thing (really, the sooner you can concentrate on the actual dantien, the better).

In concentrating that night, I got kind of absorbed in the dantien. Its "feeling" got stronger, and my awareness sunk into it. Not a literal "sinking," as much as the majority of my awareness was on the warmth of the dantien--my surroundings, my thoughts, and everything else did not matter at that time. Only the dantien. In this concentration, I simply breathed and observed. With my awareness centered on the dantien, I felt more energy, and I felt my energy move all through me, over me and round me. As I inhaled, I somehow ended up doing Bardons practice of Pore Breathing without intending to--that is just what my body did, it seems. And so, inhaling, concentrating on the dantien, I felt qi flow not just through my nose but through the entirety of my being as, not my lungs, but my dantien its self inhaled.

It was a very strong experience, which I am not sure I can accurately put in words. It only lasted a moment, and but my dantien was very strongly warm and tingly even into the next morning. Suffice to say, I think I did something right, and I have spent the rest of my time since trying to relax back into that state of concentration and relaxation. And, make no mistake, that is what it was--do not concentrate on the dantien so hard that veins pop. Relax, and simply be aware of the dantien. Focus your awareness, so that you are aware of nothing else. Then, just breathe. This, as I have found, is a very good way to practice dantien meditation.

Other than that, in the last few weeks, I have had a lot more energy that I did before. And, I have noticed something about my hair. See, I was born with orange red hair, and over the years it settled into a sort of auburn--a very nice color between red and brown, almost like having natural highlights (and if you don't know what that is, read a fashion magazine!). But, over the last few years, it has settled into being more brown than red. Today, however, I have noticed that it is more red than it was last month. The "red" half of the red-brown mix is a little stronger.

Now, the shade of ones hair color changes based on many things, from sun exposure to vitamins and other things. I can't say that my hair is getting healthier because I am practicing qi gong. But...I haven't been practicing anything else different, so take it for what you will.

~:Shin:~
~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

June 13, 2013, 08:41:09 PM
Reply #18

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Quote from: Shin
It was a very strong experience, which I am not sure I can accurately put in words. It only lasted a moment, and but my dantien was very strongly warm and tingly even into the next morning. Suffice to say, I think I did something right, and I have spent the rest of my time since trying to relax back into that state of concentration and relaxation. And, make no mistake, that is what it was--do not concentrate on the dantien so hard that veins pop. Relax, and simply be aware of the dantien. Focus your awareness, so that you are aware of nothing else. Then, just breathe. This, as I have found, is a very good way to practice dantien meditation.

This is exactly what proper Dantien meditation is.

The key to having this kind of experience again, and prolonging it, is to let go and just breathe with the attention in the lower abdomen. Don't have any expectations or preconceptions about what will happen. Just forget about it and breathe.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

June 13, 2013, 08:44:45 PM
Reply #19

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
Don't have any expectations or preconceptions about what will happen. Just forget about it and breathe.

And therein lies the difficulty.  :P

The most simple things are often the hardest to master.

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

June 14, 2013, 11:19:37 AM
Reply #20

Eniri

• Settling In

• View Profile
I have no clue if I'm meditating on the Dantian properly or not. I haven't had anything interesting to report except a mild vibrating sensation except I feel that when doing other meditations and before I fall asleep. I look to find it the same way when I scan for things so I think I should have the right thing ... it's so difficult to be certain.

June 25, 2013, 12:33:49 PM
Reply #21

SMFforumID

• Settling In

• View Profile
I haven't had any success with this one until after doing it after doing Baduanjin excercises. I felt the "warmth" around my lower tantien area. This sensation of warmth felt different from other sensations of warmth that I have felt. The best way I could describe it is that it is similar to the warmth that is felt from drinking alcohol, but the sensation is below the stomach not in it. Once I felt this sensation, it didn't last too long maybe a minute or so. I also have tried this exercise laying down, but with no success. Also, my attention keeps getting drawn up to head while doing this exercise because I feel more sensations there then in the lower tantien. I'm starting to wonder if something is "blocked' causing me to have a harder time feeling the lower tantien but an easier time feeling the upper tantien. Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

June 25, 2013, 01:25:47 PM
Reply #22

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
I haven't had any success with this one until after doing it after doing Baduanjin excercises. I felt the "warmth" around my lower tantien area. This sensation of warmth felt different from other sensations of warmth that I have felt. The best way I could describe it is that it is similar to the warmth that is felt from drinking alcohol, but the sensation is below the stomach not in it. Once I felt this sensation, it didn't last too long maybe a minute or so. I also have tried this exercise laying down, but with no success. Also, my attention keeps getting drawn up to head while doing this exercise because I feel more sensations there then in the lower tantien. I'm starting to wonder if something is "blocked' causing me to have a harder time feeling the lower tantien but an easier time feeling the upper tantien. Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

It may or may not be a blockage. If your awareness is constantly drawn to the head, this might just mean that you're drawn to the head for some reason. I think it's more a product of your mind, and willpower, than any kind of blockage. Some people are drawn to certain areas of the body more. The key is to let go of this notion, not expect anything, and meditate on the area you need to meditate on.

Dantian meditation comes easier for some people than it does for others. You may need to stick with it and continue before really "getting it". I suggest devoting a half hour a day to solely Dantian meditation, probably after doing Wuwei meditation until you blank out. If you have the time, do an hour a day or two hours a day until it "clicks" and you really get it and notice sensations in the Dantian. Again, don't let the mind wander. It may be useful to go back and do more Zen meditation on the dot to train your mind to detach and shift it's focus to a certain point.

It is possible to meditate on the Upper Dantian but this is an advanced practice and not for beginners. Improper meditation on the Upper Dantian can cause a gathering of Qi in the head that will be very strong and difficult to move. This energy will stagnate and cause Shen to become clouded and possibly disperse. It can lead to Qigong disease and illnesses of the mind.

It may also be useful to read some of the experiences of other posters and their advice in this and other threads about letting go and just breathing. It sounds like you have preconceptions about what is "supposed" to happen. The truth is, when you are first beginning you may feel nothing at all 99% of the time. This is not bad, it just means that you're going through a stage in training where your doubts and belief will be tested. If you can stick with the practice and detach, you will notice effects eventually. It sounds like you have already experienced some true feeling of the lower Dantian and this is good, but you must not attach to the experience or think that every experience with Dantian meditation will or should be like that.

Hope this helps.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

June 25, 2013, 02:36:00 PM
Reply #23

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
Also, my attention keeps getting drawn up to head while doing this exercise because I feel more sensations there then in the lower tantien. I'm starting to wonder if something is "blocked' causing me to have a harder time feeling the lower tantien but an easier time feeling the upper tantien. Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Follow Kouji's advice on releasing preconceptions, and practice wuwei or zen before dantien. Just control your attention and awareness, and focus it on the dantien. Don't strain, or struggle. Just relax, and pay attention to the dantien. There might be all sorts of other sensations, you might even feel energy move through the meridians in all kinds of ways after you get more sensitive. But don't pay attention to that, just let the other sensations do what they want and keep your attention where it is supposed to be--on the dantien.