Author Topic: Exercise 4: Dantian meditation experiences  (Read 5232 times)

June 07, 2013, 12:29:20 PM
Read 5232 times

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Post your experiences with Dantian meditation here.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

June 08, 2013, 12:30:34 PM
Reply #1

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
Day 1 (Yesterday)
Duration: Unsure, probably closer to 20 minutes than to 30
Experiences: This was a very tough meditation for me. I've never tried to focus on an area of my own body like this before, and it was nearly impossible for me to maintain my focus. I was prodding my stomach at least once every five minutes to try to feel where my Dantian was. Since I was hardly able to meditate during this time, I have next to no experiences to report. During the few times when I did maintain a degree of focus, it felt like there was something a bit more substantial than just residual pain below my navel, something warm and tingly. So, maybe that was my Dantian, or maybe it was just wishful thinking.
(18:23) (@kobok) They taught me about that moth in college.
(01:06) (@kobok) (⊙ ‿ ⊙)

June 08, 2013, 01:16:21 PM
Reply #2

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Day 1 (Yesterday)
Duration: Unsure, probably closer to 20 minutes than to 30
Experiences: This was a very tough meditation for me. I've never tried to focus on an area of my own body like this before, and it was nearly impossible for me to maintain my focus. I was prodding my stomach at least once every five minutes to try to feel where my Dantian was. Since I was hardly able to meditate during this time, I have next to no experiences to report. During the few times when I did maintain a degree of focus, it felt like there was something a bit more substantial than just residual pain below my navel, something warm and tingly. So, maybe that was my Dantian, or maybe it was just wishful thinking.

Don't rely on prodding the stomach.

Let your focus relax into that area naturally. It helps to do Wuwei meditation and get in the right mindstate first.

Think of it like the dot in Zen meditation but internalize it. There is no difference between the dot and the Dantian. Tell yourself this over and over, then relax and focus on the Dantian. If you can't "feel" the Dantian that's okay, it has taken some people up to a year to truly "feel" it and know it exists. The important part is to focus on the general area, and just deep breathe. The rest will happen on it's own and at some point you'll truly feel it.
My Articles

June 08, 2013, 01:28:21 PM
Reply #3

icefire

• Settling In

• View Profile
Day 1
After some meditation on the dantien I felt like there was a bubble extending from the spot to outside of my body.

June 08, 2013, 05:04:21 PM
Reply #4

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
1st + 2nd day:

Yesterday right after wuwei meditation I started doing dantien meditation. But sadly I have to admit defeat, since I started falling asleep during this meditation.

Today after I have focused on my dantien I started feeling warmth slowly spreading outwards from it while I kept my focus. The spot is still pretty warm now, after I have finished meditating for an hour.

June 08, 2013, 07:36:55 PM
Reply #5

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
Day 2
Experiences:
Today I had almost the same experiences as Aprophis posted. I couldn't seem to focus for the first five minutes, but once I managed to, I felt an intensely warm "pushing" force where I was focusing. With each breath, the pushing feeling seemed to expand over my torso, until eventually most of my body felt the same way. It's about ten minutes later now, and I can still feel a pretty intense feeling at my Dantian. I also feel really energetic now.
(18:23) (@kobok) They taught me about that moth in college.
(01:06) (@kobok) (⊙ ‿ ⊙)

June 08, 2013, 09:08:29 PM
Reply #6

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Good indication you are doing it right, Impervious.
My Articles

June 09, 2013, 08:29:53 AM
Reply #7

icefire

• Settling In

• View Profile
Day 2
30 mins. I felt some pulsing warm movement going through the center line of the body. I got pretty energetic after the 30 mins and did a good session of bodyweight excercises after that. My concentration went to the dantien often when I was doing incline pushups and situps. Looks like this excercise will be another favorite of mine.

June 09, 2013, 01:13:54 PM
Reply #8

Eniri

• Settling In

• View Profile
Day 1
Meditated on the Dantian for 15 minutes immediately after 30 minutes of wuwei meditation. I stopped once my mind started wandering off and it was more like I was ping-ponging my attention between the Dantian and other thoughts.

Assuming I was meditating on the right thing, it seemed like the Dantian was like a drain. As I concentrated on it, it looked like energy flowed in to it from the sides. I tried "tapping" at it and it felt like there was a film or something over it, which is why the energy only entered in at the edges and didn't flow straight through. I didn't try to break the mold over it, although it seemed like a few cracks opened up from the meditation. The energy and flowing I'm describing was to me like water, and if it had any feeling, it was somewhat cool.

Edit
Day 2
22 minutes immediately after 30 minutes of void meditation. I briefly felt something like vibrations. Not sure if the meditation was less effective in the heat. Nothing else remarkable.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:45:09 AM by Eniri »

June 10, 2013, 03:29:25 AM
Reply #9

jimdare

• Settling In

• View Profile
Hmm, I find this meditation quite easy. I guess it helps that I have been focusing on my dantien for the past few years in my martial arts class. I find it a bit hit and miss, sometimes it feels really intense and other times I can hardly feel it all. During these intense periods, it feels like a vibrating pulse around where I think my prostate gland is located. Sometimes I can expand this feeling to the rest of my body and it feels like a warm vibrating blanket has been put over me. On a couple of occasions this blanket has actually seemed heavy, like it's pushing/pulling me down into the ground. I have this is similar to the stomach dropping feeling you get on a roller coaster, but more prolonged.

June 10, 2013, 12:55:08 PM
Reply #10

icefire

• Settling In

• View Profile
Day 3
30 minutes on the bed on my back. Got into it fast and easy, reminded me of the zen meditation of last week. Sometimes concentration would slip and I would follow some sensation up into the chest or head. Boost of energy I get from this is nice.

June 10, 2013, 08:08:42 PM
Reply #11

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
My experience.

I had already done Wuwei meditation for about 40 minutes before beginning this. I relit my sage and continued to deep breathe. Since I was in the proper mindset already I focused my attention on the lower Dantian. I continued to deep breathe with the focus in the abdomen. Within about 5 minutes my gonads began tingling heavily. I could feel immense Qi in the Dantian itself, and this extended out into the abdomen and lower back. As I breathed I could feel Qi coming into the Dantian. I began to feel a 'pulling' sensation downward on the Conception (renmei) meridian. I felt Qi moving from the heart area to the Dantian down this vessel. Eventually, I felt a strong magnetic pulling feeling in the Dantian itself, and I perceived Qi being pushed out around it on either side of it. As I continued, this feeling only increased. I kept deep breathing and kept my awareness focused on that center. Of course, I had all of the other effects from my Wuwei meditation experience, so I felt strong energy all over the body at this point. I could feel my Wei Qi, my aura, my Dantian, as well as Kundalini in my back and spine. However, as I continued with the Dantian meditation I also felt what felt like "movement" around the belt (Daimei) meridian. It felt somewhat hot. I kept going for about 30 minutes total, and at some point I felt "full" so I stopped. Even now, I feel strong Qi in my body and aura.
My Articles

June 11, 2013, 08:28:20 AM
Reply #12

Nan

• Settling In

• View Profile
When I started focusing on the Dantian I got an uncomfortable tight feeling and the muscles around my navel went taut. Update tomorrow. Followed immediately after the Wuwei meditation.

June 11, 2013, 10:16:40 PM
Reply #13

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Discoverer of Imaginary Cult

• Personal Text
    Qing Jing Wei Tian Xia Zheng
    • View Profile
After doing Wuwei Meditation for 30 minutes, my mind was hard to keep focused in a continued sitting. I was also tired from working all night, so I only did this for 15 minutes. I noticed that I was able to feel my Dantian, and that I felt somewhat pulled into it, if you understand what I mean. I felt energized and yet calm afterwards, and I'd like to be able to keep this up for a full 30 minutes. It seems the hardest aspect of the exercise is to remain focused, and I will continue to try and master that aspect.
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

June 12, 2013, 12:10:24 AM
Reply #14

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
I actually do this meditation automatically so I have nothing unusual to report, it's also easy for me to maintain focus on all dantians so there were no troubles either.