Author Topic: Exercise 3: Wuwei meditation experiences  (Read 5542 times)

June 12, 2013, 01:03:09 PM
Reply #15

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
I've been doing this exercise in half-lotus with left foot on top of my right knee with my left hand on my left knee and my right hand on my left foot. I found that there was pressure and some discomfort around some of my upper vertebrae so after adjusting my spine by slightly "wiggling" it to the left and to the right the discomfort greatly lessened. I think this may be due to some misalignments that my body has. This is mainly within my upper body (neck and shoulders mostly). After about 15 min (i think) I started to feel warmth, the highest intensity occurring on the left side of my body. I have been able to get to about 20 min with this exercise so far. What I also noticed was that while i was breathing i felt slight tension while inhaling. I can't quite pinpoint where this tension was except that it was within the front and to the sides going backwards (mostly the sides i think). It wasn't painful, only slightly tensed. Should I continue with this exercise until it "stabilizes" or should I go on the next one or both with one in the morning and one in the evening? Also, if anyone can suggest any exercises or yogic sequences I could do to help me with my alignments that wouldn't interfere with these exercises would be appreciated, assuming this is ok with Koujiryuu.
I've had much the same tension as you while performing sitting meditation. It's part of the reason I prefer to lie down. The right side of my back seems to be a lot stronger than my right side, and it leads to a lot of posture problems. All I can recommend is experimenting with different ways of sitting, and/or going to the doctor to see if you have a similar problem. (I typically can't sit straight up during a meditation; I have to lean slightly in different directions so that the whole of my back is worked fairly equally.

Regarding the tension you feel while breathing, I would recommend sitting on a pillow of some sort while performing meditation. If you position the pillow in such a way that your pelvis tilts slightly forward and your spine remains erect, you may feel much more 'open'. If that doesn't work, or you already do it, I would again recommend trying different positions, or lying down to meditate. I feel like I take much deeper breaths lying down. :P
(18:23) (@kobok) They taught me about that moth in college.
(01:06) (@kobok) (⊙ ‿ ⊙)

June 13, 2013, 07:49:47 PM
Reply #16

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
Ahem! I am alive. I haven't managed to do the daily journal thing this week, but I have been practicing. Not as much as I want, but as much as I am able, and usually averaging a minimum of 30 minutes a day (with more for several days this week).

So, meditation.

I have one major observation for wuwei meditation:

It is maddening!

You see, it has been a while since I have meditated consistently. Last year, actually. Life kinda got in the way, so I haven't had a daily habit of meditating for a while. Even so, I thought that I could make my mind shut up just a little.

But no! Of course, the maddening bit is a good thing. It means I am becoming more aware of my mind, instead of simply ignoring it as I have, apparently, been doing.

But it is maddening!

Okay, but really. Other than that bit, this has been good practice for me. I clearly still have much practice to do, but I am grateful for the experience of being shown how much work I need to do to properly reign in my mind.

~:Shin:~
~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

June 14, 2013, 07:51:55 AM
Reply #17

icefire

• Settling In

• View Profile
I have one major observation for wuwei meditation:

It is maddening!
Same here, I worked the time up to 40+ mins, because I felt that I didn't really reach the quiet I intended in the first 30. The bonus time was worth it. Surprising is I've needed alot less sleep when I started doing 30+ mins meditations.

June 15, 2013, 02:51:10 AM
Reply #18

random_noob

• Settling In

• View Profile
My experiences seem to vary. What always happens is a calming of the mind, a heating up of the upper body and a weak electrical tingling in hands, arms and shoulders.

On good days, I start to sense a weird feeling in my chest after which my meditation gets deeper. However, after some minutes of deepening, I start to hit a wall and my thoughts slowly come back.

On bad days, I can't calm my thoughts properly, so after a while I accept that fact and go to sleep (I habitually do void meditation before sleep for several weeks now).

Furthermore, I often try to enter a void mindset during normal daily activities. At those times, I also experience an electrical tingling (predominantly in my left hand and arm) accompanied by a warming up of the upper half of my body and calmness of mind.

June 19, 2013, 09:53:18 AM
Reply #19

SMFforumID

• Settling In

• View Profile
Update on Posture:

I am still using half-lotus because full lotus is too constrictive for me to meditate with at the present time, and I sit way too much in the cross legged position throughout the day to use for meditation. Also, the cross legged position placed to much pressure and discomfort on one of my feet and half lotus seems to help with that. I have also been using a pillow because that seems to help with my posture (thanks  Impervious). I have not tried this laying down yet. Also, I have my hands on my knees.

Update on Experience:

It still takes a bit of time adjusting the position and placement of the pillow (still have some tension in the neck and shoulders), but once I did some interesting things happened. While settling into position, making subtle adjustments to my posture (mostly the spine) I was trying to find the position at which it takes no voluntary effort to stay upright. As I found this a few things happened either simultaneously or near simultaneously. First, I had a physical sensation that I guess is best described as being similar to that of anticipation/excitement/nervousness; its kinda hard to explain. The best thing I can liken it to is the feeling you get when you are going out on a first date with someone and you are waiting for them to arrive or the feeling you get when your waiting to open your Christmas presents. This sensation didn't last too long and was accompanied with the sensation of "letting go". A little while later (not sure how long) my body began to "feel connected" warm and relaxed, not completely relaxed but much more so than before. Shortly after my attention was drawn to my head because I felt a pressure starting to build. The pressure was at the front of my head, from about my eyebrows over my forehead and onto the top of my head ( but only a little over my head maybee 1/4 of an inch but i'm guessing here) AND the pressure was also at the back of my head from where my last vertebrae is at the back of my head up over the "little hump" (from my last vertebrae upwards may be 1/4 of an inch but i'm guessing here). This "pressure" gave way to a definite flowing that feels similar to an electric shock but without any pain and much less intensity than an actual shock. I only felt these sensations at the front and back of the head NOT the entire head and not across the whole top and not all the way up the head.The "pressure" feeling may have been still present but it was greatly lessened as my attention was drawn to the "flowing". I could not tell which direction the "flowing" occurred only that it was present. Now as all this happened rather fast, I didn't experience these things for long. Today was the first day that I felt this and the entire time I did this exercise was about 40 min. I still didn't see any lights behind my eyes.

Any thoughts? and Koujiryuu should I do the tantien exercise now or still stay with this one?

Also, Impervious: how did you find out that your right side is stronger than your left one?

June 19, 2013, 10:43:46 AM
Reply #20

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
SMF, please practice this and Dantian meditation and post your experiences with each as soon as you can. We're almost to week 4.

If you have trouble with sitting positions, do the exercise laying down flat on the back.

It seems you are having trouble with and getting hung up on the posture being perfect, which isn't the goal of the exercises. The goal is to just be as comfortable as you can be, and let go of it so you may work on the mind. What is most important is the detachment from the physical body, and the focus on the breathing, and quieting the mind.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

July 13, 2013, 05:35:02 PM
Reply #21

jimdare

• Settling In

• View Profile
It looks like I missed this one out.  My experiences with Wuwei mediation are as follows;  I focus on my breath and allow myself to sink into the ground.  After about five minutes of this, I can feel a distinct tingling in my palms and fingertips.  I try to maintain focus on my breath, but sometimes it slips to focus on the buzzing feeling instead.  One time I focused on the buzzing feeling in my head, and it felt like there was a force from above that was pushing me downwards.  I don't experience neural discharges like other people seem to, perhaps this is because they aren't significantly different from what I experience before sleep on a day to day basis, or perhaps my meditation is not deep enough.  When I come around, my hands continue to tingle for about ten minutes, and I feel very relaxed and refreshed.

July 16, 2013, 04:41:29 AM
Reply #22

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
I usually do this exercise while laying on my back, rarely in asana position. Generally I get a feeling of my body being "melted", in other words like borders of my body were disappearing in electric field.