Author Topic: Exercise 3: Wuwei meditation experiences  (Read 5827 times)

June 07, 2013, 12:28:36 PM
Read 5827 times

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Post your experiences with Wuwei (Void) meditation here.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

June 08, 2013, 12:26:32 PM
Reply #1

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
I guess I'll go first. :P
Day 1(Yesterday):
Duration: 30 Minutes
Experiences: Nothing much happened until I got into more of a 'no-mind' state. Once I got there, however, it was awesome. I felt very calm and timeless. The tingling sensations I've felt from Zen meditation and the Qi Gong forms were nothing compared to the tingles I got during this meditation. It felt like I had a second layer of skin made of some sort of electrical energy. I could feel my entire body, and everything happening to it; something I've never experienced in normal waking life. I didn't see any neural discharges, so I may have been breathing incorrectly. I'll try to correct this next time.
(18:23) (@kobok) They taught me about that moth in college.
(01:06) (@kobok) (⊙ ‿ ⊙)

June 08, 2013, 12:48:22 PM
Reply #2

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
I guess I'll go first. :P
Day 1(Yesterday):
Duration: 30 Minutes
Experiences: Nothing much happened until I got into more of a 'no-mind' state. Once I got there, however, it was awesome. I felt very calm and timeless. The tingling sensations I've felt from Zen meditation and the Qi Gong forms were nothing compared to the tingles I got during this meditation. It felt like I had a second layer of skin made of some sort of electrical energy. I could feel my entire body, and everything happening to it; something I've never experienced in normal waking life. I didn't see any neural discharges, so I may have been breathing incorrectly. I'll try to correct this next time.

This is a good indicator of doing the meditation properly. "It felt like I had a second layer of skin made of some sort of electrical energy."

The reason you probably didn't see any neural discharges is simple: you didn't go deep enough. In Qigong and standing meditation we allow our minds to go to an "Alpha" brainwave state. However, it is much harder to get to the successive brainwave states- Beta, then Theta, then Delta- without being fully, completely relaxed. Usually, a feeling of energy all over the body and strong tingles is an indication you are in Alpha. Neural discharges is an indication of Beta. Bodily paralysis or inability to move, and feeling total void, and loss of body awareness and feeling and boundary are indicators of Theta and Delta.

The solution to this? Try the meditation lying flat on your back with your hands resting on your chest or at your sides next time. Just be careful not to fall asleep.
My Articles

June 08, 2013, 12:53:19 PM
Reply #3

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply. I'm excited to know that I was doing it at least partially correct. :)

The solution to this? Try the meditation lying flat on your back with your hands resting on your chest or at your sides next time. Just be careful not to fall asleep.

I'll try this today. Maybe after a bit of tea, to stay awake. Can the Dantian meditation be done in this way as well? Is there any benefit, aside from the ease of staying awake, to be had from sitting meditation?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 01:46:57 PM by Impervious »

June 08, 2013, 01:26:18 PM
Reply #4

icefire

• Settling In

• View Profile
Didn't feel much during except peace and I felt like I was much larger than I am. Saw some light flashes. After doing the void meditation I started to feel the warm sensations moving in the body.

June 08, 2013, 04:59:01 PM
Reply #5

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
1st + 2nd day:

Yesterday I did Zen meditation first, to quiet my mind, then afterwards I did wuwei meditation. Except feeling surrounded by energy it didn't do much.

Today was different because additionally I began seeing shapes and lights moving around on my eyelids after a while.

June 08, 2013, 07:33:46 PM
Reply #6

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
Day 2
Experiences: This time, I did it lying down like Koujiryuu suggested. I felt a lot more relaxed, and was able to focus on just thinking about nothing (paradox), and not falling asleep. At some points, I did notice flashing lights of different colors, and dancing shapes. I felt the same tingling sensations as last time. I feel incredibly at peace even now.

June 09, 2013, 08:20:15 AM
Reply #7

icefire

• Settling In

• View Profile
Day 2
24 minutes. Today it was very hard to clear my mind of thoughts and when thoughts stopped I started getting moving images. In the end having tried seemed to clear my mind a bit anyway so I didn't feel any frustration.
Day 3
10 minutes. Good session, got really deep and started feeling floating sensation and getting light flashes. Had to stop because phone rang.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:50:47 PM by icefire »

June 09, 2013, 01:21:17 PM
Reply #8

Eniri

• Settling In

• View Profile
Day 1
30 minutes. About halfway through the meditation everything seemed like it stopped in an instant. My breathing was silent, there were no more sounds around me, and my conscious mind was quiet. It seemed like my subconscious wasn't all that quiet though as I was awake and meditating but odd thoughts, almost like dreams started bubbling up that I kept having to ignore. No awareness of qi flow but I wasn't "looking" for it, as I was during the Dantian meditation.

Edit
Day 2
30 minutes. Tried meditating outside, and I did, but I don't think I will again due to how hot it is in Louisiana. Did a better job of ignoring the dream-like thoughts and returning my mind to the blank state.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:42:05 AM by Eniri »

June 10, 2013, 08:00:17 PM
Reply #9

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
My experience.

Went downstairs to the training room. Took white sage with me on my incense burner. Sat down crosslegged, lit the white sage, said a short Native prayer (as usual). Put my hands on my knees and began to meditate. I used the Mantra "Hamsa" to keep my mind clear. Breath in, "hahm", breath out, "saahh". I continued this way for 5 minutes, taking slow, deep abdominal breaths. Within those 5 minutes I had neural discharges and a great feeling of Qi inside me. 10 minutes in, this expanded and I felt great heat and tingling in my spine and head. The whole crown of my head was tingling and very warm. I could perceive Qi moving around my head counterclockwise. My thoughts became less and less, though I was still occasionally distracted by stray thoughts. I let them ride out and finish, and kept my attention on the breath and the mantra. 15 minutes in, the heat and tingling encompassed the whole back and neck. The neural discharges were really intense at this point. My eyes began to roll back in my head and I felt electric jolts of Qi in my spine (I have active Kundalini). The feeling in my back now moved out to my lats and around the side of the waist. I could feel Qi over and around my skin like a second skin; Wei Qi. I opened my eyes and took a break for a minute to relight the sage, and because my left foot had fallen asleep. I stood up and walked it off and promptly sat back down. I continued breathing and getting up didn't change my mindstate. 25 minutes in, I was totally devoid of thought and I lost body awareness and felt in tune with the Qi of the room, and the universe. My eyes were still rolling back in my head occasionally, but something odd happened. They started to move rapidly back and forth on their own as I continued to breathe with the mantra. I began to see a white "glow" inside of my head, this actually made my eyelids get brighter. It felt as if I had a shower of golden light inside my body, starting at the head, and raining down inside of the body. I opened my eyes to double check, and the room was still lit normally. I shut them and breathed and within 30 seconds I had the same feeling, and my eyelids literally got brighter, as if there was a light in my head. My thoughts had ceased completely at this point so I stopped repeating the mantra. I continued to just sit and breathe for about 10 more minutes, and had the same sensations. I could feel my aura extending around me, even past the Wei Qi, my Qi seemed to merge with the environment, but if I focused on my body I could feel my Qi to either side of me about 3 feet. I decided I had done enough with this meditation and moved on to Dantian meditation.
My Articles

June 11, 2013, 08:26:51 AM
Reply #10

Nan

• Settling In

• View Profile
Absolute calm. It feels very good. Accompanied by a warm feeling and strong heartbeat.

June 11, 2013, 10:13:03 PM
Reply #11

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Discoverer of Imaginary Cult

• Personal Text
    Qing Jing Wei Tian Xia Zheng
    • View Profile
I apologize for not posting this immediately. I haven't had access to the internet for several days. Anyway, I noticed that it's very hard to keep my mind still for longer than 15 minutes. At my calmest point, I noticed that as I inhaled, I felt a slight tingling sensation spread from my lower Dantian, outwards to my shoulders, hips and sides. Even after I struggled to keep my mind still, I still felt remarkably calm.
For the first 15 minutes, I performed this exercise in seiza. My mind, for some reason or other, is always the most easily emptied in this position, but I can only hold it for about 15 minutes before it starts to hurt and distracts me from my exercise, so my hope is that I'll continue to get even more used to sitting in it for longer and longer periods.
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

June 12, 2013, 06:30:03 AM
Reply #12

SMFforumID

• Settling In

• View Profile
I've been doing this exercise in half-lotus with left foot on top of my right knee with my left hand on my left knee and my right hand on my left foot. I found that there was pressure and some discomfort around some of my upper vertebrae so after adjusting my spine by slightly "wiggling" it to the left and to the right the discomfort greatly lessened. I think this may be due to some misalignments that my body has. This is mainly within my upper body (neck and shoulders mostly). After about 15 min (i think) I started to feel warmth, the highest intensity occurring on the left side of my body. I have been able to get to about 20 min with this exercise so far. What I also noticed was that while i was breathing i felt slight tension while inhaling. I can't quite pinpoint where this tension was except that it was within the front and to the sides going backwards (mostly the sides i think). It wasn't painful, only slightly tensed. Should I continue with this exercise until it "stabilizes" or should I go on the next one or both with one in the morning and one in the evening? Also, if anyone can suggest any exercises or yogic sequences I could do to help me with my alignments that wouldn't interfere with these exercises would be appreciated, assuming this is ok with Koujiryuu.

June 12, 2013, 12:41:51 PM
Reply #13

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
I've been doing this exercise in half-lotus with left foot on top of my right knee with my left hand on my left knee and my right hand on my left foot. I found that there was pressure and some discomfort around some of my upper vertebrae so after adjusting my spine by slightly "wiggling" it to the left and to the right the discomfort greatly lessened. I think this may be due to some misalignments that my body has. This is mainly within my upper body (neck and shoulders mostly). After about 15 min (i think) I started to feel warmth, the highest intensity occurring on the left side of my body. I have been able to get to about 20 min with this exercise so far. What I also noticed was that while i was breathing i felt slight tension while inhaling. I can't quite pinpoint where this tension was except that it was within the front and to the sides going backwards (mostly the sides i think). It wasn't painful, only slightly tensed. Should I continue with this exercise until it "stabilizes" or should I go on the next one or both with one in the morning and one in the evening? Also, if anyone can suggest any exercises or yogic sequences I could do to help me with my alignments that wouldn't interfere with these exercises would be appreciated, assuming this is ok with Koujiryuu.

I would say to continue with the exercise until it improves. I am not entirely sure what you mean by tension or alignment, because it's unclear. The tension on the sides might not be tension at all and might just be you feeling your aura.

If you want Yoga I would suggest The Five Rites but I'm not sure if this will help your problem or not. Again, it's not very clear. You said you were doing a half lotus, maybe this is the source of your discomfort. Perhaps try it crosslegged first and see if it improves your problem.
My Articles

June 12, 2013, 12:50:20 PM
Reply #14

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Not much changed. Feel my Wei Qi surrounding me, a tingling, electrical energy flowing upwards in my spine from between my shoulder blades over the back of my head to my crown. Sometimes I feel like falling into myself, as if the inside of my body has turned into an endless void.