Author Topic: Qigong Study Group: Week 2  (Read 6545 times)

June 13, 2013, 08:16:08 PM
Reply #15

malignant rice

• Settling In

• View Profile
I apologise for not posting sooner, I was staying with a relative and didn't have a reliable connection to the internet. So I'll take a few days and try to catch up.

June 14, 2013, 12:16:01 AM
Reply #16

jimdare

• Settling In

• View Profile
Hey Koujiryuu, I have come down with a cold. Should i be doing these exercises if I'm not 100% healthy?

Jimdare

June 14, 2013, 04:01:13 PM
Reply #17

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
I  would wait for Koujiryuu's answer to be sure,  but it is typically recommended that you not practice things like Qi Gong  or yoga ( practices involving breath  control)  while ill.  It's sometimes said that practicing while ill can exasperate your sickness. I  don't personally believe this, but I usually avoid practicing while sick anyway. I don't feel like I can really give it my all  when I have a child or something,  and a half-hearted meditation session makes me feel a lot worse than not practicing.

Hopefully this answer can help until Koujiryuu  replies.

Edit: Kouji got it. :P
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:25:56 PM by Impervious »
(18:23) (@kobok) They taught me about that moth in college.
(01:06) (@kobok) (⊙ ‿ ⊙)

June 14, 2013, 04:06:05 PM
Reply #18

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Hey Koujiryuu, I have come down with a cold. Should i be doing these exercises if I'm not 100% healthy?

Jimdare

From Week 1 of the Study Group lecture (Guidelines for Practicing Qigong):

Quote from: Koujiryuu
- Don't practice Qigong while sick or injured. Despite some people disagreeing with this, the reasons for it are many. For one, if you are sick with a cold, it will be hard to breath. The air will irritate your lungs and you will cough. It may be difficult to breath in the correct manner because of mucus in the nose and throat. You may be in pain, injured, and this will be too distracting to the mind for it to focus on proper Qigong practice. Your form will suffer and your posture will slouch. You will start to take shortcuts to alleviate the pain, and the mind's focus will be on the pain and not on the breath, posture and Qi. When you are sick, your body and spirit are already using the Qi in the body to burn away the disease. Doing Qigong when your body is already actively fighting infection just slows the healing process and impedes getting better. Light meditation is alright, but any of the moving forms or Qi circulations should be avoided. The best thing you can do is sleep, rest, relax, and drink tea.

Take Vitamin C and astralagus, drink lots of fluids (especially fruit juice and tea), stay off your feet if possible, and get lots of sleep. Oversleep, if you can. When I get sick (and I rarely do; about once every three years for a week) I sleep 14 hours a day and it burns itself out in a few days, then I'll have the sniffles for a week.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.