Author Topic: Exercise 2: Zen meditation experiences  (Read 8608 times)

June 01, 2013, 09:41:03 AM
Reply #30

icefire

• Settling In

• View Profile
Day 3

Had so much to do I left meditation to the late evening. Managed to do only 3 minutes before I decided to get sleep instead.

Day 4

Zen meditation in seiza 16 minutes. Was very hard to stay focused/motivated today. Mind wandering and posture needed to be corrected. Still I felt warmth during and after.

June 01, 2013, 02:43:49 PM
Reply #31

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
4th Day:

In the beginning my face, my crown and then my tongue started tingling and it felt like energy is flowing. Then later during the meditation my throat started tingling too and my chest followed. I had the feeling that energy was flowing through my hands and arms. Today I didn't shake as much as the days before, only thing is that my eyes started twitching, which made it hard to keep my focus. Nevertheless my field of vision continuously changed back and forth from blanking out except the spot to seeing everything at once.
After the meditation my crown really felt charged and my face keeps on tingling.

June 02, 2013, 08:44:28 AM
Reply #32

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
Day 4

Last night, I meditated for 20 minutes, but it was a very...interesting experience. I've had trouble with the focal points I've been using, so I decided to make one. I took a yellow post it note, drew a pencil dot in the center, and stuck it on the back of the office chair at my desk, which is black. Then, I sat down and stared at the dot.

And thus the mind spanking began.

After a moment of meditating, I noticed the paper glowing. After a few more moments, I noticed the dot...moving. Thinking it was my eyes, I got up and got my glasses.

I sat back down, focused again, and again...glowing, followed by the moving dot. And then, the dot disappeared entirely.

Huge logic fail. Major "glitch in the matrix!!!" moment.  :P

It actually took me a minute to wrap my head around the fact that I had accidentally created an optical illusion sort of thing, and my eyes were literally playing tricks on me. However, this turned out to be a very useful tool for me. If my mind drifts, and I lose concentration from the dot, the dot disappears. That is, as was mentioned, a major "glitch in the matrix" sort of feeling. Thus, so that the dot doesn't vanish, I have to concentrate on it. It led to some decent Trataka like practice, even with the whole no blinking thing. Which wasn't even intentional, just a side effect of staring and concentrating.

Day 5

This morning, I meditated for 30 minutes, using the dot on the paper again. Again, the whole vanishing dot thing was a factor, but it turns out to be an interesting tool to force me to concentrate on the dot. It seems to like attention.  :P

~:Shin:~
~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

June 02, 2013, 01:37:45 PM
Reply #33

Henry

• Settling In

• View Profile
I find that keeping my eyes open is very difficult, so I decided to focus on the breath instead. Will this have the same effect as focusing on something with my eyes open? Anyway, I found it very difficult to focus solely on the breath. My mind wanders without me noticing until I am thinking of something far away from my breath. On the days that I have somewhat few thoughts though, my head starts vibrating slightly.

June 02, 2013, 02:01:08 PM
Reply #34

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
I find that keeping my eyes open is very difficult, so I decided to focus on the breath instead. Will this have the same effect as focusing on something with my eyes open? Anyway, I found it very difficult to focus solely on the breath. My mind wanders without me noticing until I am thinking of something far away from my breath. On the days that I have somewhat few thoughts though, my head starts vibrating slightly.

It is very important to keep your eyes open and focus on the dot during this exercise.

The meditations next week build on the skills developed in this exercise.

Please practice the exercise as advised.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

June 02, 2013, 02:37:44 PM
Reply #35

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
4th Day:

Today I could nearly sit still for the whole meditation, occasional twitches were there, but they were weak. I did notice that the hair on my arms, my neck and the back of my head stood up and I can still feel that. Otherwise the experiences were the same as before.

June 02, 2013, 03:41:28 PM
Reply #36

Fanna

• Settling In

• View Profile
Zen meditation day 3:

I must have slept wrong and moved too quickly as I developed a killer muscle cramp between my shoulder blades. Tried to massage it out and took some Advil but it got worse throughout the day. Being immobile anyway, I figured I could at least try the meditation but after a few deep breathes I realized that even this was too painful so I stopped. :(

Zen meditation day 4:

I decided that Advil wasn't doing much for my muscle cramp so I tried magnesium instead. This helped enough so that it didn't hurt to breathe deep. I did my best to focus on the object but I kept getting distracted by one thing or another, which left me feeling frustrated. I figured I wasn't doing myself any favors in this frame of mind and stopped the meditation after five minutes.

Zen meditation day 5:

Since I knew I would be doing the forms later in the day, I decided to try my meditation then too. I definitely find it easier to clear the mind and maintain focus in the mornings before the day's stresses take hold. While thoughts kept creeping in, I did my best for 15 minutes. Surprisingly, while I couldn't maintain focus during the meditation, it did help in clearing the distraction while doing the forms right after.

June 02, 2013, 11:30:03 PM
Reply #37

jimdare

• Settling In

• View Profile
Zen meditation tends to hurt my eyes a bit.  My perception of colour changes with time and things appear more washed out.  I tend to get the same hypersensitivity/tingling that I get with the qigong exercises.  I use a point on an old pink floyd poster as my 'spot'; sometimes the rest of the poster appears to warp and move.

June 02, 2013, 11:36:54 PM
Reply #38

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
jim, that sounds awesome and fitting of Pink Floyd.

:P
My Articles

June 03, 2013, 12:58:40 AM
Reply #39

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
(I'm done posting experiences in the first week thread, after this post. I'll most definitely still be practicing, though! I just wanted to share this one because it was my most powerful experience so far).

Day 5:
Duration: 22 minutes
Experiences: The first ten minutes were business as usual, but after that, things got cool: My point of focus started glowing, and the rest of my vision sort of followed suit. It was a milder version of how I imagine Koujiryuu's experience going. During all of this, I felt the tingling sensations I normally feel, but in full force. I felt absolutely brimming with energy. At the same time, I felt absolutely at peace. I hardly associated with my body during this time, aside from the aforementioned tingling. These sensations slowly died down as I brought the meditation to a slightly early close, but I can still feel residual tinglings as I'm writing this.

It's very strange to feel so energetic and calm at the same time, but it is a good feeling. All around, I would call this a success.
(18:23) (@kobok) They taught me about that moth in college.
(01:06) (@kobok) (⊙ ‿ ⊙)

June 03, 2013, 07:53:26 AM
Reply #40

icefire

• Settling In

• View Profile
Do you think you could do this while visualizing a dot instead of staring at one? Last couple of days have been hard on my eyes and I can't do this for more than 5 mins now.

June 03, 2013, 12:25:15 PM
Reply #41

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
It is best to just use an actual dot.

If your eyes hurt, try using one that's bigger and putting it closer to you. Draw one about an inch around with a permanent marker on a piece of paper. Place it on a wall about three feet away from you.

Alternatively, you already have your experience post, so you can just discontinue the practice altogether if it's bothering you that much. Do your Qigong forms instead.
My Articles

June 03, 2013, 03:09:00 PM
Reply #42

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
5th Day:

Couldn't keep my eyes open. They are burning too much today. Also had some twitches. Did only meditate for 10 minutes. However my crown and my forehead are tingling like crazy after this meditation. Also I noticed really tiny glowing dots appear on the black spot I focused on that were moving around.

June 04, 2013, 02:56:27 PM
Reply #43

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
6th Day:

Felt like energy was flowing up the back of my head over my crown to my forehead. Also the little glowing dots were not just visible on the black spot I focused on but also in my whole field of vision. Also my field of vision expanded a bit during focussing, at least the perceived one.

June 04, 2013, 09:09:04 PM
Reply #44

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
Day 6

I did not do any practice today. Although I hate to use anything that even resembles an excuse, circumstances simply prevented me from having the time I would have liked.

Day 7

I did the meditation for about 20 minutes, focusing on the same post it note dot that I mentioned before. A few thought trains proved to be very distracting, but for the most part I managed to concentrate, and when I relaxed into it I felt energy moving around various places. Head especially.

EDIT:

Day 8

I managed to sit down and practice for about 20 minutes, again using the post it thing. I've decided that, amusing and interesting as it is, that dot doesn't seem to be good fro my eyes. Which is unfortunate, because the position I had it in was perfect for doing this. I still managed to concentrate a fair bit, but out of 20 minutes, I'd say I only got 10 minutes of actual practice because the distraction of the vanishing dot.

~:Shin:~
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 05:35:06 AM by Shinichi »
~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.