Author Topic: Exercise 2: Zen meditation experiences  (Read 8612 times)

May 28, 2013, 06:19:55 PM
Read 8612 times

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
This is the experience thread for Exercise 2: Zen meditation.

Post your experiences with Zen meditation here.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

May 29, 2013, 10:05:06 AM
Reply #1

Fanna

• Settling In

• View Profile
Zen meditation day 1:
I managed to do 25 minutes as I eventually got distracted by my lower foot going numb and the ensuing pins and needles from trying to reposition it. Any tips? Otherwise, the 25 minutes went more quickly than I imagined it would and I was able to maintain focus on the object fairly well with no other interfering thoughts. About 3 minutes in though I had the sensation of my throat tightening. It wasn't bothersome so I continued to keep focus on the object and work through it. By the end the sensation dissipated. I did notice tingling and a bit cooler in my pinky and ring fingers of both hands. By the end, I was certainly more relaxed and moved on to the three basic forms.

May 29, 2013, 12:51:13 PM
Reply #2

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Insert Quote
Zen meditation day 1:
I managed to do 25 minutes as I eventually got distracted by my lower foot going numb and the ensuing pins and needles from trying to reposition it. Any tips? Otherwise, the 25 minutes went more quickly than I imagined it would and I was able to maintain focus on the object fairly well with no other interfering thoughts. About 3 minutes in though I had the sensation of my throat tightening. It wasn't bothersome so I continued to keep focus on the object and work through it. By the end the sensation dissipated. I did notice tingling and a bit cooler in my pinky and ring fingers of both hands. By the end, I was certainly more relaxed and moved on to the three basic forms.

Throat tightening I'm not sure about. Might be a side effect of doing the deep breathing.

As far as your foot goes, move it once a minute to prevent this (wiggle your toes, bend the knee slightly out to move the foot out a bit, etc). Also, every ten minutes or so you can switch your inside and outside legs if you're sitting crosslegged. For example, if your left leg is inside of your right leg, and the left foot becomes bothersome, then switch so the right leg is the one on the inside.

If you have persistent problems with this and it interrupts your meditation, try sitting a different way that's easier for you. Instead of sitting crosslegged, sit with your back against a wall and stretch the feet straight out in front of you, keep the legs together, with the toes pointing up.

Also, it should be noted that my approach is one of simplicity. If you have an itch or something and it's interfering with your meditation, then scratch it. I'm not going to tell you to sit there and ignore it for some other purpose and have it drive you wild and disrupt your inner peace when it is simply easier to scratch it and eliminate it with little risk of breaking your state of mind.

I suppose a little later when someone is here to take pictures of me I'll take a few of alternate meditation positions for people who have trouble sitting crosslegged.
My Articles

May 29, 2013, 02:24:09 PM
Reply #3

icefire

• Settling In

• View Profile
First day:
16 minutes set. Sitting on a bed. It was a bad idea since it was too soft and had to stop because of bad circulation in legs. Easing into the dot(nail on the wall) was not that hard but my mind started wandering pretty hard.
13 minutes set. Sitting on a rug. It looked like objects besides the dot on the wall started to become blurry or unfocused. Mind still wandered pretty hard but I could feel more centered during meditating and after. My head feels relaxed and I have less unnecessary thoughts floating around in my mind than usual.

Second day:
Decided to change position to seiza because I can :P
11 minutes set in seiza. I started to feel strong floating sensation pretty soon that lasted the whole session. Had to stop early because of discomfort.
16 minutes set in seiza. Pleasant floating sensation in chest and head. Brief moments of not thinking and just listening. After I stood up the sensation spread to lower body also. Sense of calm followed practice.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:48:16 AM by icefire »

May 29, 2013, 02:27:32 PM
Reply #4

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
Day 1:
Duration:~26 minutes
Experience: About 5-10 minutes in, I started feeling a sort of tingling sensation all over my body. It felt like there was a sort of current moving around just a few milimeters above my skin. This sort of feeling happens a lot when I meditate, so I can't claim that it is Qi flow, or anything like that. I felt very focused by the end of the meditation. I also felt very energetic, but in a more reserved, peaceful way as opposed to feeling hyperactive.
(18:23) (@kobok) They taught me about that moth in college.
(01:06) (@kobok) (⊙ ‿ ⊙)

May 29, 2013, 04:26:56 PM
Reply #5

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Day 1:

Around 20 minute session: Feeling of Vibration in hands, arms and head. Deep vibrating sound in my ears. Then a short time in my body started shaking, like it does so often in the last months during meditation. Sadly I had to stop after 20 minutes since my eyes really hurt. Comes from staring at a computer screen at work all day and at 1 am I'm tired too. But tomorrow will be better, since it's a legal holiday (yay, finally getting sleep again)

May 29, 2013, 06:15:28 PM
Reply #6

malignant rice

• Settling In

• View Profile
Day 1: 10 minute session due to time constraints.

As I focused on the object and began the breathing I began to have small spasms in my right arm, and as I continued I began to notice a slight unfocusing of my eyes which went away after a couple of minutes of noticing. Shortly after I had to leave on errands which cut the session rather short. :redface:

May 29, 2013, 08:43:39 PM
Reply #7

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Good experiences guys. Remember you can discuss each other's posts to gain understanding.

Here are some alternate meditation positions for those who want to really strain themselves, or who have bad knees and feet falling asleep.

For bad knees:

One Legged Buddha

Two Legged Buddha

Straight Leg

For very fit people who want a challenge

Half Lotus (also Full Lotus)

Seiza (sitting this way generates tremendous internal force, similar to Zhan Zhuang, because of how hard it is on the legs, this is why Aikido is strong)

My Articles

May 29, 2013, 10:33:54 PM
Reply #8

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
I will be using this post as a journal and editing it daily (I hope) for the next week, adding in new experiences with the exercises.

Day 1

I practiced 15 minutes or after waking up today after my other meditation (in retrospect, this is better done before other meditations). There were no notable experiences, because it is very difficult for me to relax my mind sometimes. I will note, however, that when Kouji says the focal point should be a speck, he means it. A small point is a lot easier to concentrate on than a larger dot or such.
~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

May 29, 2013, 11:06:01 PM
Reply #9

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Great observation.

The smaller it is (but still visible), the better.

You may even see it begin to glow after some time.
My Articles

May 30, 2013, 07:42:44 AM
Reply #10

Eniri

• Settling In

• View Profile
Stuck a quartz on the table and meditated on it for 26 minutes. The more I did the more difficult it became to focus. I noticed two things in my peripheral vision began vibrating, a handle to a hair brush and a nail on my desk. My eyes feel tired now.

May 30, 2013, 11:51:25 AM
Reply #11

icefire

• Settling In

• View Profile
Stuck a quartz on the table and meditated on it for 26 minutes. The more I did the more difficult it became to focus. I noticed two things in my peripheral vision began vibrating, a handle to a hair brush and a nail on my desk. My eyes feel tired now.
Are you sure you are not tensing your eyes while focusing? My eyes feel relaxed after this meditation.

May 30, 2013, 12:49:17 PM
Reply #12

Nan

• Settling In

• View Profile
Sat cross-legged which worked fine for me. I think I'll do another position tomorrow.

After a mere four minutes I had to stop.

My vision was blurred, order was forming and the blurred vision started moving. At one point something in my vision began pulsing.

My heart beat was strong and I had at first a tight feeling around the top of my head which was replaced shortly by a light-headed, slightly happy feeling.

Afterwards I was physically tired and a warm feeling spread through my shoulders and the rest of my body.

May 30, 2013, 01:28:29 PM
Reply #13

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Zen meditation experience:

I did this after doing 30 minutes of Qigong yesterday (see other thread).

I did the meditation for 30 minutes.

I had already used nosespray to clear the sinuses, drank a glass of water, but after doing Qigong I needed the bathroom again, so I used it before starting so I wouldn't be distracted.

I burned some Nag Champa incense to help clear the mind.

I focused on a white spot on a big green balance ball in my basement (as seen above).

I meditated and stared at the spot.

After 2 minutes, the spot began to glow. After 5 minutes, the whole ball seemed to glow. After 10 minutes, the whole room seemed to glow, and the spot was glowing even brighter than before. I closed my eyes briefly and saw intense neural discharges in the eyelids. This is what was distorting my vision. I opened my eyes and continued. After 15 minutes, everything was glowing, and had lost color- everything seemed washed out. The ball itself no longer appeared green, but black. The spot was brighter than ever. The ball itself seemed like it was moving, though it wasn't, it seemed like it could move at any time. After 20 minutes, I felt a strong connectedness with the dot, and with everything in the room. Everything in the room seemed to concentrate into that one point. After 25 minutes, I thought that the dot and I were not so different, and it seemed to be alive too. It seemed like an external manifestation of me, or spirit. After 30 minutes, I cannot remember what happened, but I recall feeling like I was in another place and time. I realized I had been doing the meditation for 30 minutes, and so I stopped. I counted from 1 to 5 in my head and then said "I am awake". I stopped looking at the dot, and got up slowly and stretched a little bit. I then went and got a glass of water.
My Articles

May 30, 2013, 03:32:16 PM
Reply #14

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
2nd Day:

Couldn't completely quiet my mind. Got a song stuck there, I do love music, but sometimes that's annoying.
First my eyes started twitching from left to right, making it hard to focus. After a few minutes the room seemed to be covered in a glowing veil. After a while I saw a pulsing in that veil, moving from the lower left corner of my field of vision to the upper right corner again and again. My whole body felt like it was vibrating and again I had the low hum my ears. Then the room started moving, sometimes spinning, sometimes the things moving from left to right, not all in the same direction. The muscles in my spine started locking, straightening my torso, my chest was being pushed out, then came the shaking, either from left to right or my body jumped up and down. My vision went from being covered in glowing veil to intense focus and clear view of everything in my field of vision and back again. It seemed like my left eye lost focus every now and then, getting blurry and refocusing again.