Author Topic: Exercise 1: Basic Qigong Forms experiences  (Read 10090 times)

May 31, 2013, 06:15:06 AM
Reply #30

Kyuuketsuki

• Settling In

• View Profile
Day1:

Sadly due to me having to stay over a friends another night I was not here this morning to start this week's stuff bright and early. But I have been working on the exercises when I got home. I like the "Lifting the Sky" as I find that form the most relaxing. I also did not know how to do these through explanation so Im happy you made a video to show them, thanks for that. And then I did the meditation with no trouble as I am no stranger to some good meditation. Next time I will be around to start this earlier but day 1 has been a success,

May 31, 2013, 01:19:47 PM
Reply #31

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
3rd Day:

Lifting the Sky: Felt like I was swimming in water when I was moving my arms up and down. The back of my right leg started tingling and the left one soon followed, but not as strong. The feeling of energy surrounding my body intensified. My lower dantien felt warmer than usual and the warmth was spreading through my lower body.

Pushing Water: Although my legs were killing me because my muscles are still sore, I could do a whole ten minutes, even if it was hard sometimes. My body heated up, my neck, my shoulders and my upper back started tingling and then my whole head, strongest at the crown. Afterwards my head felt like it was filled with energy.

Shaolin Archer: My legs didn't shake like yesterday when doing this exercise. After a bit I started feeling lightheaded and dizzy and I still do. The heat today was not so intense as yesterday and I did not sweat much.My mind went really calm and I continued doing the excercise for more than 10 minutes because I just was in the flow. Now my head feels tingly and warm.

May 31, 2013, 01:21:25 PM
Reply #32

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
If you guys have trouble with the Horse Stance for Shaolin Archer you can do it in Wu Qi stance instead (the one used for Lifting the Sky).

Horse Stance kills me too after 10 minutes.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

May 31, 2013, 01:51:30 PM
Reply #33

icefire

• Settling In

• View Profile
Day 3:
Lifting the sky for 27 moves inside the house. The warmth in my hands was incredible.
Pushing the water for 27 moves inside the house. I still keep getting the strange watery floating feeling from feet up to chest level when I do this. Heat follows the excercise.
I had to stop there but the feeling of intense heat stayed with me for atleast 10 minutes.

Shaolin archer for something less than 27 moves in the forest. I think I'm getting the movement down now, but somehow I start feeling anxiety when I do this movement. I wonder what it could be?

May 31, 2013, 01:52:54 PM
Reply #34

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
If you guys have trouble with the Horse Stance for Shaolin Archer you can do it in Wu Qi stance instead (the one used for Lifting the Sky).

Horse Stance kills me too after 10 minutes.

For me it's ok. Muscles just need time to gain the strength needed, like with every workout. The difference here is, that normally when I work out, I give my muscles at least 2 days to regenerate.
That's why I split my workouts into legs, torso and arms so they can be rotated such that the muscle groups can regenerate.
Doing it every day slows the regeneration and I guess therefor the strength gain.

Back in my teenage years I was working out the whole body, every day, up to 4 hours a day. And then I was wondering why I never could get up in the morning...nevertheless I pushed on.
Although today I'm still stupidly stubborn that way :P
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 03:04:16 PM by Aprophis »

May 31, 2013, 02:44:56 PM
Reply #35

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
This is a really good idea, I'm going to have to try that myself.

Usually when I work out I do everything at once and then I'm sore for 3 days or more and can only work out twice a week. Usually Yoga, Weight Training and Heavy Bag work over 2 hours on one day.

Might sound a little stupid that I didn't know about this but whatever... I never had any kind of fitness instruction or anything.

I suppose I'll do my weight training on my upper body and yoga one day, and bag work (mostly kicking) the next.

Thanks!
My Articles

May 31, 2013, 03:12:48 PM
Reply #36

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Heh, you're welcome. It helps to know bodybuilders, at least those who don't start taking stuff. One can learn a lot from them, after all that's all they do every day.

When I work out, I do the five tibetans and then some hatha yoga stances before, to warm me up. The other way around was proving difficult when I failed to do some stances due to exhaustion. Noone wants to fall flat on their face when doing the fifth tibetan. Since when I work out, I do HIT, there's pretty much no strength left and *BAM* realization set in.  :biggrin:

May 31, 2013, 04:12:16 PM
Reply #37

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Which one do you consider the Fifth Tibetan rite?

That's what I do for yoga.
My Articles

May 31, 2013, 04:21:55 PM
Reply #38

Eniri

• Settling In

• View Profile
I did the exercises at midnight. I yawned a lot doing lifting the sky. Same with pushing water but I moved my weight to my heels properly this time. Shaolin archer didn't start to hurt my knees until about halfway through, which is also when I started yawning for this one. I took longer. This one is still my favorite. My sleeping rhythm is really messed up (I'm a student and it's summer ...). I woke up in the afternoon today so I wasn't yawning because it was midnight. Same thing happened yesterday at noon ...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 04:26:51 PM by Eniri »

May 31, 2013, 04:26:00 PM
Reply #39

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Which one do you consider the Fifth Tibetan rite?

That's what I do for yoga.

The fifth is the one from cobra to dog position. My hernia loves that one :P

May 31, 2013, 04:43:38 PM
Reply #40

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Yep.

http://www.mkprojects.com/pf_TibetanRites.htm

I do them in a different order.

5, 2, 4, 3, 1

I think that's because that's the order they were done in in the book, "The Ancient Secret of the Fountain of Youth" that my mom had.

When her and I did them together and she taught me them in the late 90s that's how we did it.

Yeah, that's about the only one where you could potentially fall on your face.
My Articles

May 31, 2013, 05:08:22 PM
Reply #41

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Yep.

http://www.mkprojects.com/pf_TibetanRites.htm

I do them in a different order.

5, 2, 4, 3, 1

I think that's because that's the order they were done in in the book, "The Ancient Secret of the Fountain of Youth" that my mom had.

Interesting, I have seen about 3 versions of the book and own two of them. Never seen it in that order though.

The only one with exactly that name that I could find was this: http://www.lib.ru/URIKOVA/KELDER/Ancient_Secret_of_the_Fountain_of_Youth-Peter_Kelder.pdf
But it still has the same order.

May 31, 2013, 05:13:29 PM
Reply #42

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Must have just been the way she taught me then.

Back to the subject...
My Articles

May 31, 2013, 09:39:09 PM
Reply #43

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
I also got a bothersome sting in my left knee and lower leg at some point doing these, but as I'm typing this it seems to be gone.

Happened to me while doing pushing water, but only for a moment and then it was gone. Maybe something was released? Did the pain persist during all of the exercises?

Yeah, it did. And during the meditation I did afterwards. But after that, it was just gone.

Day 3--I didn't manage to do it three times throughout the day like I hoped. What I'm posting below is just for tonights session.

Note: doing a gentle, light warmup first is a good idea, especially if you aren't already warmed up or have been sitting a while.

Lifting The Sky: Counting the repetitions instead of counting the minutes made it much easier, and allowed me to focus on the experience its self--or simply relax into it. I only made it to about 20 repetitions, because a pain began spiking in my left shoulder.

Pushing Water: Again, counting repetitions is easier than counting minutes. Also, from warming up before hand, actually going down into horse stance was much easier than before. However, the shoulder pain persisted, and I only went to ten reps. I could have done more, but the shoulder thing was getting stronger.

Shaolin Archer: After doing the other exercises and the shoulder getting worse, I decided to stop and not do Shaolin Archer, and go on to the meditation instead.

And, funnily enough, now that I am typing this 15 minutes later the pain is again gone. Maybe stuff really is clearing out?

~:Shin:~
~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

May 31, 2013, 10:13:02 PM
Reply #44

malignant rice

• Settling In

• View Profile
Day 2:

lifting the sky 21 repetitions: I felt a similar tingling in ribs as befote, although it was farther up this time.

Pushing water 21 repetitions: I felt very little different this time than before save for an intensifying pressure in the skull, I also had a little difficulty maintaining the stance throughout as my legs tried to spread further apart in between repititions.

Shaolin archer 18 repetitions: Still had some trouble with form so not much in terms of results.

Day 3:

Lifting the sky 27 repetitions: no tingling in ribs to be found,  however I did have an almost lightheaded feeling towards the last 5-6 repetitions.

Pushing water 27 repetitions: pressure in the skull was subtler, and my body felt a little heavier afterwards.

Shaolin archer 27 repetitions: finally got the hang of the form, I felt an intense heat throughout the repetitions and compleyely lost track of time during the practice. I do believe this one is my favorite.

I apologise for combining 2 days experiences together, but it was rather late when I did day 2's practice so I wasn't able to post.