Author Topic: Exercise 1: Basic Qigong Forms experiences  (Read 10089 times)

May 30, 2013, 12:45:16 PM
Reply #15

Nan

• Settling In

• View Profile
Lifting the sky= Hugely relaxing, nice feeling. It distorted my sense of time and seemed to slow it down.
Pushing water=Physically straining. My sense of time changed again.
Shaolin Archer=For certain reasons I wasn't able to do that today. But yesterday it lent me a tremendous focus.

During Lifting the Sky and Pushing Water I focused on a single spot unconsciously. That was interesting, especially the randomness when the spot changed. I was always focused somewhere, without really noticing.

May 30, 2013, 01:00:28 PM
Reply #16

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Good posts guys.

Quote from: Nan
During Lifting the Sky and Pushing Water I focused on a single spot unconsciously. That was interesting, especially the randomness when the spot changed. I was always focused somewhere, without really noticing.

This is good. Remember during Shaolin Archer to focus your eyes on the hands, and the tip of the index finger in One-Finger Zen.

Quote from: Eniri
Lifting the sky quickly made me yawn, a lot. After about 6 minutes of doing it I felt lightheaded and got distracted by a tree. Near the end I was yawning after every 4 "lifts".

This might be energy blockages being worked out.

Pushing Water took me a while to figure out the form. After a while my big toes started to hurt, I think I was improperly putting a lot of weight on them. I also eventually got lightheaded from this and stared at the nearby tree for what felt like a minute but was probably just ten to fifteen seconds. I also got hungry and ate breakfast after this one.

The weight when pressing down should be on the balls of the feet. The heels WILL raise and you will naturally go on your toes. Put the weight on the balls of the feet.

Shaolin Archer seemed like it would be difficult but once I got the hang of it I ended up liking this exercise a lot. I like how each movement flows in to the other side instead of how the others feel like you stop and reset. Time seemed to pass more quickly doing this. Near the end, the back of my leg started to hurt at the gastrocnemius.
My left hand also didn't want to make the sign properly.

A lot of people like this one for that reason.

My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

May 30, 2013, 01:19:27 PM
Reply #17

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
My experience with the forms.

I did them yesterday.

Before starting, I used a menthol nose spray to clear out my sinuses and allow smooth, proper breathing. I also used the bathroom and drank a glass of water to ensure I wouldn't be distracted by those things.

Lifting the Sky: 10 Minutes. About 3 minutes in I really got into it. I could feel my mind detach. I then continued doing the form with deep belly breathing, while blanking out and paying attention to Qi movement in the body. I noticed the Qi moving across my outer arms and tops of the hands as I lifted my hands up, and as I lowered them I felt it fall along the front of the body to the Dantian. I continued, and as I went I noticed I could feel my legs rooted in the earth. I then noticed Qi movement going up the outside of my legs, to the shoulders, to the arms, as I was raising my hands over head. The Qi felt warm and tingly. After a few minutes I had intense internal heat in the back, spine and head. It felt like my back was on fire. The hairs on my arms started to feel itchy and stood up on my arm. My palms were quite red afterward with tons of little white dots all over them.

Pushing Water: 10 Minutes. I got into it right away. I felt Qi movement in the same manner. As I went down, I felt Qi coming up my outer leg meridians and going out the arms to the hands. As I came up I felt a more generalized downward moving force on the front of the body. I felt less internal heat with this one, but I still felt Qi in the spine and head. Again, the hairs on my arms felt itchy.

Shaolin Archer: 10 minutes. Again, was into it right away. I felt a stronger, more generalized Qi flow over the arms that felt watery. It also agitated the fine hairs on my arms. I felt heat on the tip of the index fingers. After about 5 minutes of this I started to feel a strong magnetic force in my aura on the sides of the body. It was very strong and felt like it was pushing or radiating outward into my environment. It was almost entirely sideways, and I felt incredibly tingly and warm on the sides of my body (outside arms, outside of the legs, hips and lats).
My Articles

May 30, 2013, 02:20:57 PM
Reply #18

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
2nd Day:

Lifting the Sky: Pretty much the same sensations as yesterday, only a bit stronger. Felt tingling and pressure on the crown of my head and on the forehead. My hands felt like I was wearing gloves of energy. Whenever I raised my arms above my head it felt like water was pouring down inside them and the feeling of having gloves intensified. My whole body felt a bit tingly. It made me really calm and my mind quiet.

Pushing water: My thighs still hurt from yesterday, so I couldn't keep it up the whole 10 minutes. My knees were crunching a lot today, guess it's from the lack of strength. My body was heating up a lot. Otherwise same as yesterday, with the feeling of water being pushed into my arms and hands when I lifted them up.

Shaolin Archer: Thighs didn't shake as much today. Otherwise it went easier, since I didn't fumble once unlike yesterday. My body was heating up really fast, but today I didn't sweat as much. My body felt like energy was surrounding it like a second skin and it was tingling all the time.

May 30, 2013, 03:01:54 PM
Reply #19

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Quote from: Aprophis
Shaolin Archer: Thighs didn't shake as much today. Otherwise it went easier, since I didn't fumble once unlike yesterday. My body was heating up really fast, but today I didn't sweat as much. My body felt like energy was surrounding it like a second skin and it was tingling all the time.

I get this feeling during Qigong too. Being surrounded by a second skin or a thin layer of Qi over the skin and around it.

What you are feeling is your Wei Qi. Wei Qi is defensive Qi. This is the Qi that prevents infection, and acts as a psychic barrier to the body. This is also the Qi that Iron Shirt develops and strengthens.

There's a saying, that a good internal stylist, Qigong practitioner or Aikidoka doesn't need to make a "psi shield". This is because our exercises strengthen the Wei Qi and make it very strong. We naturally develop a strong energy body, and in turn, a constant psychic shield of Wei Qi. This is why Qigong practitioners get sick less often too, because strong Wei Qi promotes immune system function.

Certain herbs and tonics also strengthen this Wei Qi, two of them are astralagus and ginseng.

My Articles

May 30, 2013, 03:39:53 PM
Reply #20

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
I can still feel it, stronger around my hands and my head. As far as I remember, I felt that sometimes after meditation, but never that intense.
In my case it's more wool than iron shirt  :HA!:

May 30, 2013, 06:06:44 PM
Reply #21

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
Day 2
Experiences: I just wanted to post here to say that I did do the forms today, but I was not in a position to write down my experiences. As such, I forgot a bit of what happened. I'll briefly post what I remember.

Lifting the Sky: This form went the exact same as on the first day. On my last repetition, I felt renewed, for lack of a better word. I just felt cool and refreshed. I don't know if this was a side effect of the form itself, or a side effect of moving on.

Pushing Water: Same as the first day as well. I felt hot, though less than before. The heat seemed to be focused on my arms and (to a lesser extent, my legs), and not really present anywhere else. I started feeling a very intense focus toward the end of my repetitions.

Shaolin Archer: I don't remember feeling anything that could be described as energy movement during this form, but I did end up feeling very "in the zone". I'll attribute this to the form's flowing nature that others have already pointed out.
(18:23) (@kobok) They taught me about that moth in college.
(01:06) (@kobok) (⊙ ‿ ⊙)

May 30, 2013, 06:27:44 PM
Reply #22

Fanna

• Settling In

• View Profile
Basic Qigong Forms day 2:
I did produce more body heat today, especially with Shaolin Archer. Love how relaxed and at peace I felt afterwards especially since this was a rather hectic day.

May 30, 2013, 07:01:12 PM
Reply #23

jimdare

• Settling In

• View Profile
Some additional observations.

Lifting the sky:  I can feel the tingles in my hand better if they are fully extended and flat, facing directly upwards at the halfway point (as opposed to a sloppy cup shape or angled forwards/back).  My arms feel much lighter if I have done shaolin archer prior to this.

Pushing Water:  I struggle to get the same feeling in my head when doing this outside.  I think it may be due to distraction by other stimuli (wind, sun etc..).  I can feel the tingles in my hand centred around a point in the middle of my palm.  I don't know if this is an artifact of my own internal training (we use this same point when training iron hand).

Shaolin Archer: This makes me very hot; I often have to take off my jacket.  I really like the flow with this exercise, it's quite similar to one of our basic Kung Fu moves.  I find this flows better if my breathing is less focused (it's habit from Kung Fu).   

May 30, 2013, 07:18:02 PM
Reply #24

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Discoverer of Imaginary Cult

• Personal Text
    Qing Jing Wei Tian Xia Zheng
    • View Profile
I've refrained from reading everyone else's experiences until after I've completed my hour of training and then posted this, so as not to expect any feeling whatsoever, and not imagine anything I might be feeling due to anything I might have read. I have also limited myself to 27 repetitions of each form, because Kouji mentioned that anything more could result in Qi sickness... so until I have more clarification on that, I will limit it to 27. Although all 3 forms took me around 15-20 minutes to complete, so I think I may be good regardless. Please clarify if I am wrong, though. With that said, the following are my experiences:

Lifting the Sky: I noticed that after a few repetitions, I started to feel what can only be described as hot water rushing up my arms upon lifting, and upon going down I noticed that I felt that same hot water flowing down my spine and into my Lower Dantien. I assume this feeling was Qi, but I won't draw any conclusions just yet.

Pushing Water: Whenever I stood up, I immediately felt hot water flowing through me, once again downwards, under my arms, down my kidneys and across into my Lower Dantien. At this point I started to feel lighter.

Shaolin Archer: My biggest problem with this exercise was at certain points I believe I went too fast, however when I noticed this I immediately corrected myself. I felt hot water flowing freely in a sort of orbit under my arms, down my back, spine and kidneys, and into my Lower Dantien. This was complimented, around repetition 15 or so, with mild sweating from my back and my forehead, as well as a distinct feeling in my hands. Upon completion, I used a towel to dry the now dripping sweat from my forehead and back. This was odd to me, because I go to the gym every day and I am in top physical condition, and I didn't quite understand why such a simple exercise could make me sweat. My only conclusion would thus have to be that the exercise was correctly cultivating Qi and that I was experiencing a side effect of that. When I practiced Pranayama and had that as a part of my routine only a week before this, I noticed that I was sweating and shaking, as well. Would you happen to have any insight on this?

I found it to be an overall good session and at the end of it I noticed significantly better Qi flow, blood flow, and increased energy and awareness. I am pleased with the results an I will continue training.
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

May 30, 2013, 07:32:56 PM
Reply #25

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Quote from: Shadow_Dragon
Shaolin Archer: My biggest problem with this exercise was at certain points I believe I went too fast, however when I noticed this I immediately corrected myself. I felt hot water flowing freely in a sort of orbit under my arms, down my back, spine and kidneys, and into my Lower Dantien. This was complimented, around repetition 15 or so, with mild sweating from my back and my forehead, as well as a distinct feeling in my hands. Upon completion, I used a towel to dry the now dripping sweat from my forehead and back. This was odd to me, because I go to the gym every day and I am in top physical condition, and I didn't quite understand why such a simple exercise could make me sweat. My only conclusion would thus have to be that the exercise was correctly cultivating Qi and that I was experiencing a side effect of that. When I practiced Pranayama and had that as a part of my routine only a week before this, I noticed that I was sweating and shaking, as well. Would you happen to have any insight on this?

Both this Qigong form and Pranayama are powerful, ancient exercises.

You said you also got a very good workout from the Tibetan Five Rites Yoga, even though you're in peak physical shape.

My explanation would be simply that all of the above mentioned things have existed for thousands of years for good reason. The ancients were more in touch with the spirit world, energy, physiology and so forth. It makes sense that these exercises would make you sweat, because they generate immense internal heat and energy flow. This is normal.

Sorry, I can't really provide any more insight than that.
My Articles

May 30, 2013, 07:39:59 PM
Reply #26

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Discoverer of Imaginary Cult

• Personal Text
    Qing Jing Wei Tian Xia Zheng
    • View Profile
Thank you, your answer was more than adequate. There are many aspects of things- Mind, Body, and Spirit- that we tend to neglect in our training, and I believe that this Qigong will help develop those underdeveloped faculties. I assume I was sweating because of a combination of the Qi generated, and the fact that I probably am using muscles that I am not accustomed to using. This has been most enlightening, and I thank you.
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

May 30, 2013, 07:45:31 PM
Reply #27

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
No problem.

Keep in mind you can also use tea, and Chinese herbs, to improve your quality of life and your Qi flow.

There are many Chinese herbs we can use to help unify Body, Mind and Spirit.

If you're going to do this, drink one cup of this a day. It has astralagus which is good for Qi flow, Jing, and immune function. It also has Chinese Ginseng which is good for virility, Jing, the organs, and the meridians.
My Articles

May 30, 2013, 10:23:37 PM
Reply #28

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
Since a lot of people are doing a "day two" post, I will too.

Two observations: first, doing qi gong while very sleepy is probably not a good idea. :P Second, I apparently have a very weak lower body.

Lifting The Sky: This was still the easiest exercise for me. I just relaxed and it felt great, but after about 4-5 minutes my legs started getting shakey and tired. I tried to persist for a moment, but being sleepy doesn't make for a very persistent Shinichi.

Pushing Water: This is probably the most difficult one. Maintaining relaxed breathing and a relaxed mind while doing the movement is very difficult, and it becomes more of a simple squatting exercise than a qi gong movement. Or, at the very least, it feels that way. I managed to push through it four about 2 minutes.

Shaolin Archer: Yesterday I actually didn't quite get the hang of this, but today I feel I did much better with the movement. Actually holding horse stance and actually doing it for very long is another matter entirely, though. I also did this for about 2 minutes.

It seems my limit for doing all of the exercises at once is about 8-10 minutes. Tomorrow I will try to do that three times throughout the day, to push it to being 30 minutes for the tomorrow.

I also got a bothersome sting in my left knee and lower leg at some point doing these, but as I'm typing this it seems to be gone.

~:Shin:~
~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

May 31, 2013, 02:15:48 AM
Reply #29

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Since a lot of people are doing a "day two" post, I will too.

For me it was day 2 :P

Two observations: first, doing qi gong while very sleepy is probably not a good idea. :P Second, I apparently have a very weak lower body.

Lifting The Sky: This was still the easiest exercise for me. I just relaxed and it felt great, but after about 4-5 minutes my legs started getting shakey and tired. I tried to persist for a moment, but being sleepy doesn't make for a very persistent Shinichi.

Pushing Water: This is probably the most difficult one. Maintaining relaxed breathing and a relaxed mind while doing the movement is very difficult, and it becomes more of a simple squatting exercise than a qi gong movement. Or, at the very least, it feels that way. I managed to push through it four about 2 minutes.

Shaolin Archer: Yesterday I actually didn't quite get the hang of this, but today I feel I did much better with the movement. Actually holding horse stance and actually doing it for very long is another matter entirely, though. I also did this for about 2 minutes.

Probably due to the strain from the day before. I had the same problem, just didn't have enough strength since my thighs hurt from yesterday. I couldn't even do 6 minutes of pushing water.
During the exercise I have no problem breathing relaxed but as soon as I stop for a moment (because of lack of strength) I start breathing heavily.

I also got a bothersome sting in my left knee and lower leg at some point doing these, but as I'm typing this it seems to be gone.

Happened to me while doing pushing water, but only for a moment and then it was gone. Maybe something was released? Did the pain persist during all of the exercises?