Author Topic: Breaking the Ice  (Read 5775 times)

May 29, 2013, 01:04:40 PM
Reply #30

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
The key with ego is to accept it and love it.

No, really, I'm not bullshitting you.  :HA!:

Some ego is good. Without ego, we wouldn't be individuals and have personalities. Ego defines who we are. When we deal with strangers or go out in public, we choose how to present ourselves, and this manifests in our attitude, demeanor, the clothes we wear, the overall appearance we have ("booky guy, "scary tattoo guy", "biker", "nerd", "high school kid", "loud person", "soccer mom", etc). Ultimately, we are much more complex than we appear, but our ego and it's manifestation serve as a potential defense mechanism to protect us in unfamiliar situations. Of course, we are much more complex than any of those stereotypes, but only people who we open up to like family and friends know that.

In meditation, when we empty the mind, there is no ego. We see that the universal mind does not distinguish itself in forms, and is essentially one whole that is separated only by necessity. We see that our personal soul is a part of this, and is devoid of that ego. However, when we come out of meditation, we are still ourselves. As time goes on and you meditate more, you will be more closely rooted in this Wuwei, or void, and it will naturally manifest through you. When this happens, our negative egoistic traits become less pronounced and our positive ones naturally become stronger.

Meditation naturally cleanses the negative traits from us, and strengthens the positive traits. Only if you let it, however.

If you hold on to the ego, or even if you see the ego as being a completely negative thing, you will miss this aspect of meditation, and miss out on the transformation. Why? Because you aren't being accepting of yourself, and compassionate towards yourself.

When you realize ego is a means to an end, a necessary tool to survive socially, and a positive thing since it is what makes you you, then you accept it. When you accept it, you can love it, and love yourself. When you love yourself, you can let go of your ego (that is, the negative things about it).

"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players" - Shakespeare

Ego is just an actor. We should not try and defeat ourselves and get rid of our ego- this is destructive. Instead, we should accept ourselves for who we are, negative and positive, and try to allow meditation and spirituality to minimize our negatives and strengthen our positives. This is called acceptance.

However, I know what you all mean about egotistical people. These are people who are usually selfish, stubborn, pigheaded, unwilling to reason, lack compassion, lack empathy, lack sympathy, are self motivated, and so on. These people usually hate themselves, and thus cannot see beyond themselves and realize what they do to others. They may be mentally ill- they could be sociopathic. The only thing you can do with people like this is try and understand and help them. You have to teach them compassionately that they are not always right, and that other people matter too. This is difficult and takes a lot of compassion, and must be handled delicately. A lot of the time, it is futile. Ultimately, sometimes it comes down to just accepting them for who they are and moving on, since you can only control yourself and your actions, and not theirs.

"What is a good man but a bad man's teacher? What is a bad man but a good man's job?" -Daodejing
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:14:44 PM by Koujiryuu »
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

May 29, 2013, 02:36:28 PM
Reply #31

Eniri

• Settling In

• View Profile
Name: Eniri
I feel like I get to be more of myself online and my pseudonym feels like my own name. I don't have any reason against dropping my real name but I'm a bit more comfortable being called Eniri
Favorite food: I love so many things, I like to cook. I think I'd say my favorite recipe is shrimp tchefuncte
Hobbies: I'm a beginner at psionics, I also like video games, and history. I love the French and Japanese languages and can speak both.
Profession: student
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 06:53:13 AM by Eniri »

May 29, 2013, 04:34:58 PM
Reply #32

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Discoverer of Imaginary Cult

• Personal Text
    Qing Jing Wei Tian Xia Zheng
    • View Profile
Thank you for the clarification on the ego, Kouji. I learned something and I'm grateful for it. I will apply the wisdom to my everyday life, and try and embrace the positive aspects of my ego and allow my meditation to vanquish the negative ones.
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

May 29, 2013, 08:26:27 PM
Reply #33

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
That is an excellent post, Kouji. Thank you. I just want to emphasize one point:

we choose how to present ourselves, and this manifests in our attitude, demeanor, the clothes we wear, the overall appearance we have ("booky guy, "scary tattoo guy", "biker", "nerd", "high school kid", "loud person", "soccer mom", etc).

Sometimes, there is a scary, tattooed, badass biker hidden under that mild mannered, introverted nerd.  :wink:

Who we choose to be is always up to us. There are some aspects of who we are that will always shine through, and some things that will persist, but ultimately we are responsible for who we are. This also means that appearances can be deceiving, but that isn't always a bad thing.

As I said to everyone before: open your heart, let go of your temper, and you just mind find a good friend in someone that you thought you disliked.

~:Shin:~
~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

May 30, 2013, 09:00:43 PM
Reply #34

Helhath

• View Profile
Name: Brennon
Favorite food: A hefty sandwich.
Hobbies: Reading, video games, martial arts, anime.
Profession: Student
Dislikes: Most seafood, though I do like seaweed and salmon.
Previous training and studies: Martial arts (wing chun and some others), qigong books, and some meditation when I was younger.

May 31, 2013, 09:46:48 PM
Reply #35

Tricky

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
    • My facebook, add if you want
Name: people call me Rex a lot from high school(stupid, I know) but my name is Matt.
Food: I like to constantly change what I eat, just so my tastes never get bored. Salsa and chips, salad, chicken, steak, all kinda potatoes, etc
Hobbies: searching google, boxing, MMA, psionics, qigong, partying
Profession: lifeguard
Dislikes: unfairness, people who purposely wrong others and lie about it, etc
Previous training: I always like to feel like I have a clean slate going into these types of things, just to learn as much as I can. But I have arojnd 9 years in psionics. No qigong experience at all, always wanted to give it a shot though.

June 02, 2013, 04:03:16 AM
Reply #36

Mordekaiser

• View Profile
Name: Isaiah L
Food: Love hot food, im not picky love everything
Hobbies:Computer Programming(begginger), psionics, games
Profession: school
Dislikes: Stupid people, rude people, di-honest people
Previous training: meditation

June 04, 2013, 01:56:49 AM
Reply #37

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
Name: Adrian B
Favorite food: I eat everything
Hobbies: 3D design, game creation, video games, drawing, martial arts, cold weapons, psychology, philosophy, traditional and modern paradigms
Profession: Software engineering and database administration for maifnrames, also a freelance occultist.
Dislikes: What is that?
Previous training and study: Traditional grimoires like Goetia, Clavicula Salomonis, Books of Abramelin the Mage, Grimoirum Verum, Albertus Magnus, books of Papus, semi-modern grimoires like Necronomicon and post modern stuff of Chaos Magick (eg Patrick Dunn).

June 04, 2013, 08:52:45 AM
Reply #38

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Well, that explains why I did like you from the start. Well, in a manly kind of way. :P