Author Topic: Breaking the Ice  (Read 5770 times)

May 28, 2013, 03:51:31 PM
Reply #15

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Discoverer of Imaginary Cult

• Personal Text
    Qing Jing Wei Tian Xia Zheng
    • View Profile
Name: Mason B.
Location: North East Coast, USA. Currently on my second tour in Afghanistan.
Favorite food: Teriyaki Chicken, Chicken Parmesan, Lasagna, Sauerkraut, Afghan Flatbread w/ Rice and Beans
Hobbies: Drawing/ Painting, Physical Training, Martial Arts, Mountain Biking, Jeep Offroading, Eastern Philosophy, European History
Profession: US Army Infantry
Dislikes: Uncleanliness, Terrorists, Criminals, Moral Degradation
Previous training and study: Qigong, Hatha Yoga, Hermeticism, Aikido, Tatsu-Do Karate, Zhan Zhuang Gong/ Xingyiquan's San Ti, Witchcraft, Boxing and Buddhist zazen.

I earnestly look forward to this class. I've neglected my Qigong training about 3 or 4 years ago, and I would very much like to learn and adopt the Eastern Internal Arts into my current lifestyle once again, achieve harmony and awareness, and make myself a stronger fighter in the process. I can't thank you enough for this opportunity.
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

May 28, 2013, 04:09:53 PM
Reply #16

jwax33

• View Profile
Name: Dale
Favorite food: Salmon, Mac & Cheese, Steak, anything simple really.  Hate hoity-toity foods...who wants to eat mango-chutney glazed fruit loops?  :D
Hobbies: Learning in general, exploring the unknown/paranormal/spiritual, games (video/board/social), tinkering around the house, tearing things apart and turning them into something else
Profession: unemployed attorney
Likes: Peace and solitude but time with family and friends too, enjoying nature, swimming, exploring, reading....
Dislikes: Ignorance, bigotry, not understanding the world at the moment, traffic, TV/movies (okay in small doses, I guess), people who can't shut up but have nothing meaningful to say
Previous training and study: No real previous training, a lot of shallow exploration though

May 28, 2013, 04:13:09 PM
Reply #17

Watchtower

• Posts By Osmosis

• Hundred-plus Club

• Personal Text
    Contemplative Panentheist
    • View Profile
Name: Justin
Favorite food: Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Colombian, Mexican, almost anything spicy
Hobbies: Martial Arts, Crossfit, studying medical stuff, movies, tabletop rpging, designing/creating things, archery, gymnastics/tricking
Profession: Paramedic
Likes: girlfriend, sticking people with needles, taking pictures with people I've brought back from death/near death, training, art, fantasy novels, learning, my cat, the outdoors
Dislikes: Self-righteousness, being injured, dependence, seafood
Previous training and study: Jido-kwon Tae Kwon Do (style based largely on Goju and Shotokan karate), Muay Thai, Omnimancy (still active, teacher), Strategic Sorcery, meditation, some basic qigong, some witchcraft and sigil magic.

Unfortunately I do work on weekends, but I'll try to keep up.
"For no matter how holy works may be, they do not make us holy because we do them, but in so far as we within ourselves are as we should be, we make holy all that we do, whether it be eating, or sleeping, or working, or what it may."

-Eckhart von Hochheim

May 28, 2013, 05:26:13 PM
Reply #18

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Quote from: jwax33
mango-chutney glazed fruit loops?

LOL

Can't stand that kind of food either.

That one's a keeper.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

May 28, 2013, 06:20:09 PM
Reply #19

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
I think I'm about to win the record for the biggest post in this thread. I didn't actually intend for it to get this big when I started writing, but oh well. Consider this part of my response to the “you get out what you put in” bit. :P

Name: Aaron
Favorite food: Most of what I come up with myself, and almost anything Asian (to those of you who said “anything” Asian, you have not seen everything Asian, I assure you) or Tex-Mex.
Hobbies: Martial Arts, almost everything Occult and Magic, languages, mathematics, drawing, reading novels, short stories, and almost anything for that matter. I even cook and clean.
Profession: Student, working towards becoming a Software Engineer.
Likes: Manga (Japanese), Manwha (Korean), Manua (Chinese) and that general sort of thing, a good walk to nowhere, and haunted houses and items. I really, really like traveling, but I can't afford to do it enough to call it a hobby yet.
Dislikes: Loud and overcrowded places (not cities in general, just...elevators, ball parks and such), and anime that change the original story line set place in a manga... but I don't dislike much.
Previous training and study: I never thought I would actually write this all out one day, but oh well. I began my study and practice in '07, and now I give you the rèsumè of an eclectic:

Magic

Magic is what pulled me into all of this begin with, and will probably be where I will always return. When I was 18, I made some bad decisions that forced me to face the reality that I was living. I was short tempered, immature, egotistic (and had no reason to be), and generally foolish--and I was severely, and still do struggle with being addicted to food and sex. After this forced introspection, I decided I wanted to be better, and wanted to be more.

Somehow, fate decided that magic was the tool I needed to accomplish this (and, for the record, I have made decent progress), and I began finding all sorts of information regarding the occult in general. One of the first things I found was Chaos Magic, where I was pulled along into various branches of the LHP. Then there was all sorts of other things. To try to put it all in a list, in no particular order:

Chaos Magic--oh, my dear Ellis.
Misc LHP
Shamanism--particularly Native American, but I went on a small and failed quest trying to revive practical Druidry too...
Hermetics—Crowley, a little Regardie, Bardon, and almost everything Prophecy and Veos ever posted on Veritas.
Alchemy—I didn't learn a lot, but there were a few interesting ventures.
Talismanic/Enchantment—not something I am particularly good at currently, but I enjoy it.
Rune Magic, and Asatru in general.
Various forms of Divination, including Runes. I've found that I prefer to not use it, though.
Onmyoudo.
TDS, Probationer Alumni.

There has been other stuff in between, but that is the general gist of what I have been up to over the last six years when it comes to magic. Most recently, I'm not focusing on any particular system, but I have met and became reacquainted some interesting spirits lately. And, despite my LHP beginnings, most would consider me generally RHP now, while I myself pursue the path of neutrality. I am simply a magician.

Psionics

PsiPog is probably one of the first psion websites I discovered, and I think I gave most of the articles a shot and read all of them regardless. I had various success, but the disunity and disorganization of it all bothered me, so I went on to find a lot of other information on Psi in other places. From the Psion Guild to numerous occult and magic forums that had discussions on psionics, all the way up until I found Veritas and studied what was posted of Dynamic Psi a bit.

Presently, the only Psionics that I practice is my own method, which was developed as a result of picking up all of those scattered bits and pieces and organizing them in a way I felt comfortable with.

Qi Gong

Ah, our dear Qi Gong. My experience with Qi Gong is mostly intellectual and contemplative, or generally philosophical. I don't have much practical experience, but I have studied Daoist and Buddhist teachings since I first began my trip into energy working. From the old meditation-mantra videos on youtube all those years ago, to TaoBums, Veritas, various other forums, and numerous books. I have loved the philosophy and theory of Qi Gong from the start. For some reason, it always made sense. And as I got further with my western practice, even without doing the eastern practices, my understanding of the theory only grew.

I have made attempts to practice before, but never took it too seriously, always returning to my other interests after a while. For now, this is my first formal study group and dedicated attempt to practice for, hopefully, more than a few days.

Other

Besides all of the above, I have some minor experience with Yoga, Parkour (which can be very...meditative), and some other minor things. I have had my hands in a little bit of everything over the years.

In general, I sought out the mysteries of the energy arts and the occult seeking an unknown way to improve my character and my life. Now that I am restraining addictions, losing a lot of weight and improving my health, and not only getting into college but keeping very good grades—I have indeed come a long way from the ignorant brat I once was.

I have never stuck with any one path or system, other than to always say that I am simply a magician, but I have certainly made progress in my goal to become better. And, in the process, I have met many wonderful people and had countless experiences that I will carry with me for the rest of my life, as my journey to improvement ever continues.

And thus is my introduction. Praises to thee who actually read it. :P

~:Shin:~
~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

May 28, 2013, 06:40:19 PM
Reply #20

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Great introduction, it's good that you're opening up, that will only benefit you.

Try to apply this in real life too. You'd be surprised how many things you have in common with people that you wouldn't otherwise know by being introverted.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

May 28, 2013, 06:47:50 PM
Reply #21

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
My introversion is indeed one of the things I have worked on for a while, but...it is persistent.  :P

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

May 28, 2013, 07:31:49 PM
Reply #22

Henry

• Settling In

• View Profile
Name: Michael
Favorite Food: Come to think of it, I can't think of a food that I DON'T like  :)
Hobbies: music, reading, origami, philosophy, Buddhism, Daoism
Profession: student
Dislikes: egotistic people, inequality, people who think they are invisible
Previous training and study: little to none

May 28, 2013, 08:01:04 PM
Reply #23

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
Almost everyone keeps saying they dislike egotistical people, arrogant people, or some sort of ego people and similar things. It makes me feel bad for egotistical people, especially since I am one.

We are not above our own egos, and certainly above an arrogant person, simply because we think are less ruled by ego than they are. Open your heart, let go of your temper, and you just might find a good friend in someone that just happens to be a bit arrogant sometimes.

And no, Henry, that wasn't directed at you specifically. You just happened to be the post above this one.  :P

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:06:51 PM by Shinichi »

May 28, 2013, 09:26:10 PM
Reply #24

Aprophis

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Glad to have a diverse mix of people, and an older crowd that is going to bring maturity to our discussions and practice.

I did not mention my mental age....that's a little lower, only a little.

Almost everyone keeps saying they dislike egotistical people, arrogant people, or some sort of ego people and similar things. It makes me feel bad for egotistical people, especially since I am one.

I'm a bit egoistic myself, that's why I said I don't like egoistic assholes.  :P

May 29, 2013, 01:31:19 AM
Reply #25

random_noob

• Settling In

• View Profile
Name: Waldemar H.
Favorite food: self-made pizza
Hobbies: playing the piano, programming, lazying around
Profession: student
Likes: video games, anime, manga, books (particularly SF and Fantasy), music (Baroque, Classical and video game music), mathematics, physics, myself, the Triforce
Dislikes: belief, rules and obligations
Previous training and study: TDS Probationer Alumni (didn't like the philosophy, see my dislikes), some attempts at sigil magic and psionics, but mostly simple void meditation

Being egoistic is human nature. Whether you like it or not will not change anything.

May 29, 2013, 03:44:38 AM
Reply #26

icefire

• Settling In

• View Profile
Onmyoudo.
I had an interest in that since I watched the movie Yin-Yang master a couple of years back as to how it compares to Daoism of that time in China. I couldn't get very far with it because I couldn't find much about the real practices or theory.

May 29, 2013, 07:58:32 AM
Reply #27

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
Onmyoudo.
I had an interest in that since I watched the movie Yin-Yang master a couple of years back as to how it compares to Daoism of that time in China. I couldn't get very far with it because I couldn't find much about the real practices or theory.

The philosophy of Onmyoudo comes primarily from a couple of schools of Shinto and Buddhism coming together and fusing their wisdom into a single school of magic. However, it was indeed heavily influenced by Daoist philosophy and practice as well, which I think carried over through the Buddhist part. A lot of the magic in Onmyoudo works with the energies and philosophies of Yin and Yang, the Five Elements, and the Bagua. There's more than a little traditional Japanese magic mixed in too, though. Shinto had a huge influence on it.

Most of what I learned about Onmyoudo ended up just being philosophical, with a bit of history mixed in. As far as practice, I ended up learning some of the fundamental principles of Shikigami—which greatly improved my understanding of Servitors and Constructs in general—and a little thing called Kekkai Jutsu. Which is, technically, what we usually call Shielding. It's literally translation is “Barrier Skill.” But, learning about Kekkai taught me that “shielding” is capable of a lot more than most western practitioners think. Especially you psions out there. Most of you guys don't know what kind of treasure you have with that. :P

May 29, 2013, 12:45:26 PM
Reply #28

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Discoverer of Imaginary Cult

• Personal Text
    Qing Jing Wei Tian Xia Zheng
    • View Profile
I remember PsiPog, many years ago. That was indeed my first experience with Psionics, and I continued to go there until kobok started writing his articles on Veritas. I think my first OEC group was ki-teachings, back when it was just radki and I was an egotistical brat, myself. I still tend to let my ego get the best of me sometimes, and it is something I strive to vanquish, and I hope that Qigong will help me accomplish this task.
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

May 29, 2013, 01:03:41 PM
Reply #29

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
Name: Cody A.
Favorite food: Pizza of any sort.
Hobbies: Hiking, running, video games, longboarding, philosophy, theology
Profession: Student/Occasional writer
Likes: Video games, reading, math, computers, biochemistry, solitude, politics
Dislikes: Unnecessarily loud people
Previous training and studies: TDS Probationer class, a lot of focal meditation, and the first week of the last Veritas Qi Gong study group.  :P
(18:23) (@kobok) They taught me about that moth in college.
(01:06) (@kobok) (⊙ ‿ ⊙)