Author Topic: Good Place to study martial arts?  (Read 3149 times)

April 13, 2013, 11:07:35 AM
Read 3149 times

Rayn

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    <insert something cynical and sarcastic>
    • View Profile
    • Noein
I found a place that teaches martial arts at Independent MMA and Fitness . Does it look like it would be a good place?
Noein - A Resource on Psi, Science, and Philosophy
but sorcery refuses to be a metaphor for mere literature--it insists that symbols must cause events as well as private epiphanies. It is not a critique but a re-making. It rejects all eschatology & metaphysics of removal, all bleary nostalgia & strident futurismo, in favor of a paroxysm or seizure of presence.

April 13, 2013, 07:41:37 PM
Reply #1

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
From everything I can see on their site it looks like it would be. They don't provide much info, but the instructor backgrounds look credible and very good. All of their instructors have actual competition and pro fighting experience.

If you want self defense and training to be a fighter without a ton of ritual, I think that would be an excellent place. Probably much better than any Karate America or Tae Kwon Do studio, especially if you actually get in the ring and grapple or box and learn to take hits.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

April 13, 2013, 08:54:41 PM
Reply #2

Rayn

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    <insert something cynical and sarcastic>
    • View Profile
    • Noein
From everything I can see on their site it looks like it would be. They don't provide much info, but the instructor backgrounds look credible and very good. All of their instructors have actual competition and pro fighting experience.

I ran into the instructor Chris Ruiz(he teaches Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and other forms of mixed martial arts he said) at the bookstore. He was wearing an Independent Fitness and MMA shirt. I, of course, asked him about it and he basically told me about what they offer, what he teaches there, and said that I could do a free trial week(with no sparring of course - he noticed my look when he said that so he quickly added that in). The classes are also very very very affordable(they have different packages). They also have fitness equipment, too. I think I'll try it out. I'll just have to see about squeezing in the time... 
Noein - A Resource on Psi, Science, and Philosophy
but sorcery refuses to be a metaphor for mere literature--it insists that symbols must cause events as well as private epiphanies. It is not a critique but a re-making. It rejects all eschatology & metaphysics of removal, all bleary nostalgia & strident futurismo, in favor of a paroxysm or seizure of presence.

April 13, 2013, 10:52:54 PM
Reply #3

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Go for it.

On the site I saw listed Boxing, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu Jutsu, and MMA. All of those will get you in shape fast, teach you how to fight in real situations, and improve your confidence and physique.

I think it looks like an excellent place to train even if you don't want to become a serious prize fighter. The reason, is that it is obviously a fighter's gym that will train you in how to defend yourself unarmed. Personally, if I take any kind of martial art again I will probably do one of those arts. I have experience with Karate at a generic school (Villari's) and I found it very ineffective in actually teaching you to fight. I disagree with Katas (Forms) because they are rigid and don't include circumstances such as counters to your moves, and how to counter those counters. They just teach you a pattern, oftentimes with no context, that you perform by yourself. It is only at high levels, after you pay hundreds of dollars for numerous colored belt tests and reach a Dan rank that they teach you real sparring- but oftentimes it's not even full contact. This doesn't teach you how to take a hit.. I know some people will disagree and say that forms can work, or they teach you discipline, or that they can actually be practical. I think that SOME forms of CERTAIN arts can be practical, for example anything in Judo, Jiujutsu or Aikido that deals with joint locks, grappling or throwing. However, most of what I've seen from Karate and Tae Kwon Do is not only rigid and impractical but almost comically useless in a real street fight. (I've been in several.)

In contrast, all of the arts you could do at that school hurt. They will eventually be full contact and physical. They will place you into real combat situations vs other students. I think this is the best way to learn how to fight.

In the future, I think I am going to take Tai Ji Quan (again, forms) because it's an internal art and I think it's a beautiful form. I hope I learn real combat applications of it. The school I want to go to looks good and very authentic, so we'll see. They also teach Shaolin Kungfu but I think I would rather cross train and just go to a boxing gym, or Muay Thai gym to learn and practice real fighting.

Good luck, I would say try it out and see if you like it. See if you like the people, their attitudes, the philosophy, and the practicality of it. If you like it, stick with it.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.