Author Topic: Differenty Ways to Exercise  (Read 4128 times)

March 28, 2013, 09:44:49 PM
Read 4128 times

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
I love working out and love to experiment and push my body to its limits. I just thought I would share these different ways of exercise for those that are interested. I use calisthenics because I don't lift weights, but the same rules apply.

Pyramids

Pick an exercises and go up to failure from the failure point work your way down. For example:

Push Ups:

10 second Rest or as much time as it took to the number of repetitions between exercise (if 2 Push Ups takes 2 seconds rest 2 seconds, if 5 Push Ups takes 10 seconds, rest 10 seconds, etc. Basically, you have more rest time the higher your repetitions get).
Perform 1 Push Up
Rest
Perform 2 Push Ups
Rest
Et cetera.
Let's say your maximum is 15 repetitions, begin descending back to one:
14 Push Ups
Rest
13 Push Ups
Rest, until 1.

These are really good for endurance and overall strength.

A note on failure or maximum repetition: to save yourself from injury, especially for those of you just beginning an exercise routine, failure means giving yourself enough stamina to pull off 1 or 2 more repetitions with perfect form, which means proper body alignment and breath control. When you start shaking to get a rep done you run the risk of damaging your joints and over exhausting your muscles causing stiffness, injury and burn out. Contrary to popular belief, you need to be smart when you exercise. Get enough sleep, have a balanced diet, drink lots of water, warm up, stretch, listen to the body and have a good time.

Supersets

Pick two exercises and perform them one after the other with no rest between sets. Rest after second exercise is complete. The exercises can target the same muscle group, opposing muscle groups (push/pull for example) or two different muscle groups all together. For example:

To exhaust one muscle group and develop strength and endurance perform Dips followed by Wide Push Ups, or Diamond Push Ups followed by Plyo Pushups (Clap Push Ups).
To work antagonizing muscle groups perform Hyper extensions (Superman Crunches) then Crunches or Leg Raises.
To work two different muscle groups perform Squats then Pull Ups, etc.

You can also do Tri-Supersets, which follows the same principle only with a third exercise. You basically have a Circuit at this point.

HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training

Pick one exercise and perform each one for 5-20 minutes with a 2:1 ratio for exercise versus rest. For example:

1 minute Jumping Jacks
30 second Rest

Repeat for 5-20 minutes or planned amount of Sets.

You can also add Supersets the stronger and more in shape you get. For example:

1 minute Mountain Climbers
30 second rest

1 minute Push ups
30 second rest

For Sets or specified time. This basically turns into a killer Circuit.

Circuit Training

Pick 3-7 exercises, perform 5-10 repetitions each for 3-8 sets. For example (we'll keep it easy, but you can do whatever exercises, weights or body weight, that you choose. Crossfit websites usually have their Workouts of the Day [WOD] you can follow, as long as you know the terminology):

This example is For Time:
Wide Push Ups- 5 reps
Lunge Squats- 5 reps
Pull Ups- 5 reps
Side Lunges- 5 reps
Leg Raises- 5 reps- This equals one Set. Perform 5 Sets with no breaks as fast as you can. Record your time and try to beat it the next time you perform this Circuit.

This is for reps:
Do each as many as possible for 15-30 seconds per exercise:

Push Ups
Prison Squats
Leg Raises
Pull Ups

You can add more time or reps the stronger and more in shape you get.

The possibilities are endless.

There are many more ways to exercise, but these are my favorites (and the ones I've memorized, to be honest).

End Notes:

Strength and Endurance

If you want to build bulk and strength with calisthenics you do what is termed Under Tension (similar to an Isometric exercise). This basically means holding the beginning and end position of your exercise for 2-5 seconds (or longer). This causes the blood to flow to your muscles, thus causing bulk. Because Push Ups are the most widely taught upper body exercise, we'll is them as an example.

From the top Push Up position (called the Plank) hold for an extended count, descend as slowly as possible and hold at the bottom for an extended count slowly push up. Repeat as many as possible.

Another great muscle builder is what is referred to as Partials:

Perform Push Ups going half way down and pause. From the half way position go all the way down and pause. Return to middle position and pause, return to Plank. As many as you can.

To build strength and explosive power perform a Push Up with a slow descent, pause at bottom and push up as fast you can. You can jump your hands off the ground and clap for greater explosive power. These are good for any external martial artist or fighter. Same rules apply for Squats.
For endurance perform as many Push Ups as possible as fast as possible (with perfect form that is). Same rules apply for Squats, Crunches and Pull Ups.

Isometrics

Isometrics means "same distance" in Greek. It is holding a position under tension for an amount of time without movement. A good breathing method that works is to inhale with body in ready position, exhale and tense the muscle you are targeting, and inhale once again top release tension. Do this 3-10 times per muscle.

Refer to this website for proper breathing (there's a free PDF somewhere on the site, I just don't feeling like surfing through all the useless advertising. I refer you here so as not break any copyright laws- it's a direct link to the breathing method):

http://www.animal-kingdom-workouts.com/isometric-muscle-exercises.html

Dynamic Tension

This is using the principle of Isometrics except you are moving. Those of you familiar with Okinawan Karate this method is utilized in their katas Sanchin and Tencho (in the Uechi style almost all their katas are performed with dynamic tension). Filling the Golden Bell (elongation and filling of the tendons and ligaments) is also very similar to this type of exercise, but not the same as the Golden Bell is an internal skill.

Basically, tense your body and move around with said tension. You can use the same breathing method as the Isometric example from the site or whatever is comfortable. I would look up Sanchin on YouTube to get a better idea of what I am talking about (Uechi Ryu would be the best choice- this is what they specialize in).

Barstarzz, Calisthenic Kingz, Hannibal for King (among others) are excellent to look up on YouTube for progressive calisthenics. They have basics for those new to exercise, but the fun stuff.. well, you'll see  :wink:. Enjoy, cry and sweat!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:21:21 PM by Mind_Bender »
"Spirit is in a state of grace forever.
Your reality is only spirit.
Therefore you are in a state of grace forever."

"As relfections of the Source, we are little gods."

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

"Everybody laughs the same language."

March 30, 2013, 06:38:10 AM
Reply #1

Hellblazer

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Dynamic tension can be done sanchin style or by using one arm against another. Like moving isometrics. There isokinetic in nature and work you at the weakest point of strength. I'm fond of isometrics myself and use a device I modeled after the one Bruce Lee used.

March 30, 2013, 05:13:12 PM
Reply #2

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
I prefer Sanchin style because of my Karate back round, but isometrics are powerful no matter what style you use. I also enjoy Alexander Zass' method of using a chain for isometrics- see if you can break the chain! A rope is a good isometric tool as well and good for the beginner because of the slight flexibility. I use various calisthenic methods... I am more impressed by feats of body weight strength than external weight strength. To be completely honest, I injured myself weight training so I avoid that type of training- my body also feels disconnected from that method, but I am thinking about starting to do light sand bag training because of the constant weight shift. More dynamic and functional in my opinion, but calisthenics has always been my fall back.

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

March 30, 2013, 09:24:23 PM
Reply #3

Hellblazer

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I love isometrics with a passions. They helped me recover from various injuries especially one to my lower back (from weight training). Been hooked ever since. The heaviest I'll workout with is 10 pounds. Bobby Pandour built an amazing physique from them. Even giving Sandow and run for his money. I've completed and trained under the Charles Atlas course back in the early 2000's. Gave me good development.

March 30, 2013, 09:46:53 PM
Reply #4

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
I basically do martial arts and watch the Barstarzz/Calisthenic Kingz for inspiration, feel pathetic physically and mix and match what I wrote in the post to try and gain some level of strength so I can someday do all those fun bar tricks and fancy push ups and other amazing body weight feats. I did two free Crossfit classes, almost died and didn't have enough money to pay for any more classes but basically use circuit training, mixing and matching endurance, bulk and strength because I can and would rather not do the same routine over and over again.

I also do some band resistance training and want to get the MASS suit and a high altitude mask. The closest thing to a Hyperbolic Time Chamber aside from a weighted vest, wrist and ankle weights.

Charles Atlas did comics back in the day, right?

March 31, 2013, 11:03:06 AM
Reply #5

Hellblazer

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Charles Atlas
http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/Atlas/atlasindex.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Atlas

He sold a course that revolves around bodyweight, isokinetic (dynamic self-resistance), and muscle control. P90X is also a very good system to work with.