Author Topic: Interesting Forum suggestion...  (Read 5421 times)

February 13, 2013, 08:28:29 AM
Read 5421 times

Dragoon2

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    I like the Darkness...
    • View Profile
I have an interesting idea for a new forum in the main hall section. What if we were to make a Journals sectyion? Say anybody practicing psionics or magick can put their progress in a journal up on this site, and we can give them advice, tips and encouragement, and help motivate them to continue their practices.

So. What do you guys think? Good idea or not?

Or do we already have that, and I just haven't found it yet... :eek: :eek: :eek:
Insanity is my Specialty...

February 13, 2013, 04:39:09 PM
Reply #1

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
It's an interesting idea, except those types of journals can get pretty personal, down to the deepest emotional and spiritual levels. Of course having an ongoing topic like that could very well inspire people to practice and experiment more.
"Spirit is in a state of grace forever.
Your reality is only spirit.
Therefore you are in a state of grace forever."

"As relfections of the Source, we are little gods."

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

"Everybody laughs the same language."

February 13, 2013, 07:21:04 PM
Reply #2

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
I'm all for that kind of thing, but as Mind_Bender says, that stuff can get incredibly personal. We could obviously leave the incredibly personal tidbits out of our online journals if we so choose, though.

Personally, though I like the idea, I don't really know if we need an entirely separate Journals board. It would be pretty easy to post that sort of thing in the respective Psionics, Body Energy Arts, or Magic subforums.
(18:23) (@kobok) They taught me about that moth in college.
(01:06) (@kobok) (⊙ ‿ ⊙)

February 13, 2013, 08:21:01 PM
Reply #3

Rayn

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
I've seen this idea work not so well on other boards.

March 05, 2013, 08:21:41 PM
Reply #4

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Actually, on Veritas circa 2004, before we moved to Simple Machines Forum, we had journals.

This was when Veritas still used Vbulletin and was administrated by Silverdawn, who I think was also responsible for the idea.

I don't know if there's some kind of mod for SMF out there that would allow for a separate journal section where the user has control over who sees what. On the Vbulletin site, that's how it worked- you could decide to make your journal public or private. Additionally, journals had their own separate section, they were not a forum, and people could read and reply to your journal posts.

I think this is a wonderful, constructive suggestion and I'm baffled as to why the feature was never reimplemented. Some people used their journals to document their training and metaphysical progress, others used them to post poetry or quotes they liked, and others (like Darkduck) were just completely random and entertaining with what they posted, in a humorous way.

My vote goes towards adding a journal feature similar to the one we used to have, not another subforum.

kobok should get on this ;D
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

March 05, 2013, 08:29:12 PM
Reply #5

Rayn

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
I don't know if there's some kind of mod for SMF out there that would allow for a separate journal section where the user has control over who sees what. On the Vbulletin site, that's how it worked- you could decide to make your journal public or private. Additionally, journals had their own separate section, they were not a forum, and people could read and reply to your journal posts.

If it is like this, then I can see it possibly working. The other places had it as a sub forum which made it basically a bust. I am just not confident it will be used...

March 06, 2013, 05:55:01 AM
Reply #6

Dragoon2

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    I like the Darkness...
    • View Profile
Oh, i'm sure it will be used. I can think of one particular site that has so few people that it's rare to catch any two people on at the same time, but everyone still does their journals there. I'm pretty sure that with all the people here, it will be used.
Insanity is my Specialty...

March 06, 2013, 04:25:33 PM
Reply #7

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
My vote goes towards adding a journal feature similar to the one we used to have, not another subforum.

kobok should get on this ;D

kobok previously suggested that people should utilize the editable user pages on the wiki to create their journals.  This is a highly flexible medium which would be very convenient for this.  Upon suggesting it before, I think a total of one person has made use of this.  More people should try it if there remains interest in having journals.

Anyone doing so can link to the user page in their forum signature, and we can also create a list of journals via the wiki category feature.

(Note that if it becomes popular, the wiki format also has a built-in feature for watching pages, so you can select to watch people's journals.)
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

March 06, 2013, 11:14:12 PM
Reply #8

Rayn

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
kobok previously suggested that people should utilize the editable user pages on the wiki to create their journals.  This is a highly flexible medium which would be very convenient for this.  Upon suggesting it before, I think a total of one person has made use of this.  More people should try it if there remains interest in having journals.

That actually sounds like a good idea.

May 12, 2013, 08:21:53 PM
Reply #9

TakeV

• Veritas Council
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Mad Scientist

• View Profile
I have taken the liberty to create a sample journal according to kobok's suggestion.

May 12, 2013, 11:33:17 PM
Reply #10

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Here's the problem with this approach.

For example, I already use my user page to list the articles I've written as per the quick link in my signature.

Additionally, doing it in this method doesn't allow for other users to comment on your entries and provide feedback. That's how the journals were on Vbulletin when Silverdawn made them.

They also basically look like crap because the wiki looks like crap. (It just doesn't look as nice as the forums do).

A big part of the experience of having a journal like that was seeing the comments you would get, suggestions, and so on.

I still think we need a real "blogs" system similar to the one on psiwarriors.com.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.