Author Topic: Which is better for self-defense? Judo or Jujutsu?  (Read 3167 times)

August 14, 2012, 11:22:20 AM
Read 3167 times

white_wolf

• Settling In

• View Profile
My school offers a marital arts class and one of them is in judo, taught as a sport and the other is jujitsu taught for self-defense.  I was wondering which would be better to take?  I want something for self-defense, but to be honestly I always thought Judo and jujitsu were the same thing. 

August 14, 2012, 11:38:52 AM
Reply #1

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
I'll try and add some input.. mind you I've never taken either art but I can tell you what I know. Others may have to correct me, I may be wrong on some points. It's been a long time since I was interested in any Japanese arts.

Judo is more of a sport as signified by the "-do" suffix meaning way. Jujutsu is more for self defense as characterized by the suffix "-jutsu" (art).

Jujutsu is way older than Judo. Judo was created FROM Jujutsu by Dr. Jigoro Kano (I think). Jujutsu was the Samurai art of unarmed combat and I'm pretty sure it's been around in some form since at least 1600 AD. Jujutsu includes not just empty hand vs empty hand techniques but also teaches empty hand defense against weapons, and even empty hand defense vs an opponent on horseback with a spear.

Judo is more diluted and used in sport and competition, and so may not have certain joint lock techniques, especially neck grabs.

A good comparison between Judo and Jujutsu would be that they are similar to American and Japanese Style Karate. At say, a Karate America, you are not going to get the same level of instruction, training and fighting experience that you would if you took Mas Oyama's Kyokushin Karate in Japan. In the same vein, the Judo will probably be easier and less street practical.

If you want self-defense, I would go for Jujutsu.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

February 06, 2013, 12:28:38 AM
Reply #2

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
I learned Jujutsu and my father was a Judo-ka for many years and showed me the basics. Judo is built upon the foundation of Jujutsu and is a softer art. The big difference between Judo and Jujutsu is Judo is a throwing and sweeping art. All 'fights' end on the ground in Judo, and there are chokes and some basic wrestling submissions, such as ankle locks, shoulder locks, wrist locks, arm locks and wind chokes (sealing the wind pipes). but it was developed as sport (fun fact, it was Dr. Kano who popularized the belt ranking system in Japan).

Jujutsu is older and deadlier by far. It can be considered stand up grappling. Both styles use distraction, angles and leverage to offset the opponent, only Judo seeks to sweep or throw the opponent (like chinese Shuai Jiao) and end the fight either by breaking the opponents skull on the ground (MMA style!) or choking or submitting the opponent once they are on the ground (much like Greco-Roman Wrestling). Jujutsu on the other hand focuses on the limbs of the body (although they do have chokes, sweeps and throws, but not as many as Judo) and strikes. In the higher levels they emphasize pressure points (Kyoshu, most likely taken from Shiatsu- Japanese acupressure) for disabling and even killing the opponent and there are also techniques called Koppojutsu, which emphasizes breaking the joint once it is in a vulnerable position, but this seems to be a rarely taught aspect of Jujutsu, at least in the west. There are soft and hard styles of Jujutsu, unlike Judo which is mainly sport. Jujutsu also teaches the use and defense against weapons. Jujutsu is said to be developed by the Samurai in the feudal days, but it could also (most likely) stem from Eagle Claw Gong Fu, who emphasize 72 joint locks (qi na or tu'i na, is a massage therapy that utilizes acupressure and Jujutsu like holds to relieve stress and blockages in the body, I'm unsure if they are the same) among the various other styles of gong fu that emphasize qi na (usually considered secret techniques in their forms).
"Spirit is in a state of grace forever.
Your reality is only spirit.
Therefore you are in a state of grace forever."

"As relfections of the Source, we are little gods."

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

"Everybody laughs the same language."

February 19, 2013, 06:28:24 AM
Reply #3

Dragoon2

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    I like the Darkness...
    • View Profile
I don't really know how to do either, but I would say learn both, and use a mixture of the two. Pretty much, fight the way you see fit. I see fit to do whatever I can to keep from being hurt, and that includes doing some not so nice things to those that attack me (for example, kicking a guy where it hurts)

Basically, if they are trying to hurt you, or even kill you, don't hold back. Just do what you feel is best for protecting yourself.

Anyways, back to the question. I would try both, and then choose the one that works for you.
Insanity is my Specialty...