Author Topic: Official Ninjutsu Thread  (Read 78260 times)

May 02, 2004, 07:33:24 PM
Read 78260 times

HADOUKEN

• Posts By Osmosis

• I ga pisha!

• View Profile
With the large amount of Ninjutsu threads being created lately, I'm creating this thread.  As usual, currently-existing Ninjutsu threads will be left alone but new threads after this point will be closed until this is no longer stickied.
Develop mind and body to enhance the spirit.

May 03, 2004, 09:12:51 AM
Reply #1

Daiken

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Well thank frogs for that. Budo Taijutsu's my art but I am sick of all these Ninjutsu threads popping up, almost always started by those who have no idea. It must be pretty damned annoying for those members who have no interest in Ninjutsu of any sort.

May 03, 2004, 09:14:15 AM
Reply #2

the_flojo

• Veritas Furniture

• Flojo Mojo!

• Personal Text
    Yarrrrrrrrr!
    • View Profile
I do "have an idea".  I simply wanted someone's opinion on studying ninjitsu via videotapes and books.
When you describe a senseless act of destruction, such as building a catapult to launch a minivan through someone's livingroom window, to a group containing both males and females, you get these reactions:

Males:  Cool!
Females:  Why???

Thus, we see the fundamental difference between the sexe

May 03, 2004, 12:37:22 PM
Reply #3

HADOUKEN

• Posts By Osmosis

• I ga pisha!

• View Profile
I don't think he was directly implying you, Flojo.  Your question was an honest one that nybody should ask before investing hundreds of dollars into such a product.
Develop mind and body to enhance the spirit.

May 03, 2004, 01:57:26 PM
Reply #4

Daiken

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Yeah, I didn't mean you bucko.

Books and videos can comlement your studies in the dojo - but they shouldn't be your primary source.

May 04, 2004, 07:21:32 AM
Reply #5

DownRodeo

• Veritas Furniture

• DD-APPR0VED! A-OKAYH!!

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
    • BudoTaijutsu.co.uk-Koshin Dojo Malmesbury
Daiken is correct, you must NOT learn from a video or book, for one, they can only teach you so much, secondly they can't help you with questions and the like, and they can't help you understand something if you have mis-interpreted it like a proper instructor can. Anyone who offers to teach you moves and the like over the net is a fraud, or insane, or just a child. (who wouldnt have been allowed to learn it anyways!) It is more acceptable if they try and teach you the philosophy behind it, but anything else is utter pants, try going to seminars, there are bound to be some in your local area.

If you can't find a ninjustu club in your area (of any sect) i suggest finding an aikido joint, to my eyes it look like the closest thing, the only alternative thing that can teach you good taisabaki, however that is not to say they are similair or the same, I will have to join a club for my verdict on that, but Im pretty sure they are very different in some respects.

The different sects of ninjustsu concern themesleves with different aspects of the art. If you think sword play and ancient weapons is a load of tosh, then you might want to join a bbd dojo (a modern style ninjutsu organisation). If you want the complete ball game, try bujinkan, genbukan or jinenkan, i personally think bujinkan is getting a bit comercial (to put it lightly) so i suggest learning from all denominations eventually. What you must do is to get a DVD of the old grandmaster before any of these splinter groups came about, his name is 'Takamstsu', also known by the old taoist sages/chinese gung fu masters as 'the mongolian tiger', and he was the last real ninja in my opionion. I suggest talking to someone who already does it to see if its your cup of tea.

ps. Anyone thinking of taking up aikido would best have a chat with DarkDuck, as he is the resident dude around here! :) (I myself will get round to just that!) Kendamu, why don't you make this thread into a internal/external martial arts thread, since ninjustu and aikido are the only two martial arts (as far as i know) that fit into this category. Then peeps could discuss them here!
"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part, you can't even passively take part, and you've got to put your bodies on the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers... and you've got to make it stop!"
Mario Savio

May 05, 2004, 03:14:40 AM
Reply #6

Tsumaru

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I practise the Bujinkan style. But, I'm just curious DR, why do you say a child wouldn't be allowed to learn? Modern times, martial arts allow all ages. Traditional times, I don't know. I know that Shaolin Kung Fu stressed a young age to start out, but I'm unsure of others. But I'm interested to hear why you commented a child would be unallowed to learn.
don't believe everything you read... especially if it comes from me.

May 05, 2004, 04:29:35 AM
Reply #7

DownRodeo

• Veritas Furniture

• DD-APPR0VED! A-OKAYH!!

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
I meant no offense Tusmaru, in fact let me retsate that, in the bujinkan it is suggested that a child should not learn the full art of budo-taijutsu, instead they should learn a watered down version. (Ie: not techniques that cause serious injury/death). Of course there are are exceptions, like yourself and myself (i was 13 when i began and had to train with the adult group). In fact the ninja's of old were all trained from birth, so as to condition them mentally and physically. I just find it hard to belive (in reference to some of the other threads) that a child could master ninjustsu in 11 years, even the soke himself admits that he is no master, instead that even he is a student of the art and life, and is continually learning... That is what i meant to convey my friend, sorry for being so vauge :)
"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part, you can't even passively take part, and you've got to put your bodies on the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers... and you've got to make it stop!"
Mario Savio

May 05, 2004, 04:39:24 AM
Reply #8

Tsumaru

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Oh, I understand now. ^_^. It's interesting to hear people who claim that they have 'mastered' arts in these areas, whereas the true masters (or those who come close enough) are the ones who call themselves students. I suppose it is explained best in this quote:

"A fool knows everything, a wise man knows how little he knows."

The funny thing is you said it's hard to believe someone could master it in 11 years. That's referring to Zaxton. Even funnier is passover_angel who is only around 11 or 12 years of age himself, meaning he couldn't have been training for any more then 6 years really, and I doubt it was even half of that. Yet still he claims he can teach anybody Ninjutsu for free over the net. It's hilarious the things that pop up on OECs. =P

May 05, 2004, 04:50:04 AM
Reply #9

DownRodeo

• Veritas Furniture

• DD-APPR0VED! A-OKAYH!!

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
*laughs* yeah, we shouldn't be too harsh to them, instead help them to realise this on their own. You never know they may turn out to be the next generation of shudoshi's! I can't say i was like that when i was a kid, (and i still kinda am a kid!) but i know plenty of guys who were like that, but have turned out ok! Tis true what you quoted, another one is 'the more you know, the less you know!' :)

Although it is possible for someone to be a child prodigy... maybe we are too quick to judge? maybe not...
Mario Savio

May 05, 2004, 04:57:28 AM
Reply #10

Tsumaru

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
-A young age
-Claims to have mastered a martial art
-Doesn't even know much about their martial art after a small amount of training time
-Can't even spell half the words that they DO know in relation to their martial art
-You know what - they can't even spell at all for that matter.
-Thinks they can teach people over the internet.
Personally I think the above things put together in someone makes it impossible to show any sign of respect to that person. I see that in someone and the first thing I want to do is find them in real life and give them a nice hard hit. But, because I can't be bothered wasting the money, I just sit back and watch the show that goes on before me: A whole load of fluffy stupidity. Nobody who fits into the above quality can really be that good at anything. This isn't to say that they're doomed for the rest of their life. Chances are, however, that they won't go very far. It'd require a whole lot of maturing and hard work for them to get anywhere later on to the stage that we might actually respect them as a great martial artist. But, maybe I'm just too quick to judge and pounce at people. =P

May 05, 2004, 07:23:24 AM
Reply #11

the_flojo

• Veritas Furniture

• Flojo Mojo!

• Personal Text
    Yarrrrrrrrr!
    • View Profile
I know learining via video, internet, etc. isn't good.

It's just that there are no ninjitsu dojos of any style anywhere around where I live.  All we have is Kenpo Karate, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and a TKD McDojo. ^_^'
When you describe a senseless act of destruction, such as building a catapult to launch a minivan through someone's livingroom window, to a group containing both males and females, you get these reactions:

Males:  Cool!
Females:  Why???

Thus, we see the fundamental difference between the sexe

May 05, 2004, 02:57:36 PM
Reply #12

_jujitsu_

• Veritas Furniture

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
I have a question for all our local resident budo tai-jutsu practitioners :) .  I've been considering starting said art for a while now but the nearest dojo is quite far away and the only time they teach (that i'm aware) is on saturdays from about 10:00am so its hard for me to get there.  I have a friend who also wants to start but he works most saturdays so he's waiting till his next day off so we can go up and try it together, and he can give me lifts which my parents wont, and i've only started learing to drive myself.

Thing is i already do jujitsu and from what i've tried of taijutsu so far, quite a bit of the sylabus contents are quite similar, so is worth starting or should i move into something else like, say, aikido (you's suggested it :) ).
One night I was a butterfly, fluttering happily around.
Then i awoke, and found that I was a man.
But what am I in truth?
A man who dreams he is a butterfly,[/colo

May 05, 2004, 05:21:42 PM
Reply #13

=zergknightCM=

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Quote from: the_flojo
I know learining via video, internet, etc. isn't good.

It's just that there are no ninjitsu dojos of any style anywhere around where I live.  All we have is Kenpo Karate, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and a TKD McDojo. ^_^'

crapy towns have crapy things...move
live a life animated...use psi balls animated...release your spirit animated...

anime fan.

May 06, 2004, 01:20:02 AM
Reply #14

BlacK

• Veritas Furniture

• BlacK SnaX

• Personal Text
    No Fixed Abode
    • View Profile
I'd say its worth it, or at least to try it out for a few weeks and see if the class seems like its the real stuff and worth visiting.

You can't really judge any martial art, especially Ninjutsu from only attending four or five classes, but it helps to see if the atmosphere is a good one, or if the teachers know what they are doing.
Ominous Latin phrase