Author Topic: Bringing Qi to the Hands experiences  (Read 1299 times)

June 22, 2012, 03:46:15 PM
Read 1299 times

Koujiryuu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
This thread is for the "Bringing Qi to the Hands" exercise from Week 4.

Please post your experiences with the exercise here.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

June 28, 2012, 02:02:00 PM
Reply #1

JustinReeves

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
I started with a short meditation with a pattern of 2:4. I sat in a cross-legged position. I did this for about five minutes to calm my mind and body. To start, I used to make chi balls in the past. In a similar pattern as described in the lesson. In the lesson I use, I start with a short meditation. Then I begin to gather energy into my sternum/lower dantien. After I feel that I have gathered enough I pull the energy up from my lower dantien using intention and visualization. I bring the energy up my chest, into my arms, and finally into my hands. Once the energy has reached my hands I flow the energy out of my hand into a shell. A hallow sphere of energy to keep the energy in place. Like a balloon for a water balloon. Once I feel the shell has been made I focus the energy from the shell to into the shell. I just simply fill it up. Often I make variations to the technique, like condensing the energy and stuff like that.

Anywho, after I did the short meditation I brought my hands up in the hand seal as described. It was different from how I used to do it so it was harder for me to do. Instead of the energy being around the hands, I held my hands up as though I was holding a ball. Also, instead of using pure intention and willpower I used intention along with visulization and tactile feedback. My shoulders started aching quick. When I pulled the energy from my lower dantien into my hands my hands got stiff. I just felt heat and tingling. Stuff like that.

July 06, 2012, 12:33:55 PM
Reply #2

Koujiryuu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Justin, it's fine that you put your own spin onto the exercise but in the future you need to practice the exercise exactly as described, for numerous reasons.

The idea isn't to make a Qi ball, it's to channel Qi to the hands and fill up the hands with energy. Also, the exercise should be done solely with Yi (intent), leaving visualization out of it. This is a combination of focus, concentration, body awareness, tactile feedback, and intention. You should try to move energy using solely intention at first, leaving visualization out, because it can become an unwanted crutch. Remember this:

Yi, or I (pronounced "ee" either way), is a concept that is rather hard to translate into English, in the same way that Qi or Jing is. It's a unique concept, and has no English equivilent word. Yi is often explained as being intention or willpower; it is much more than that. Yi is an equal combination of willpower, intention, focus, concentration, physical movement, and doubtlessness. That is the complex part of Yi- you must do all of these things at once for the best effect!

Willpower is strength of mind and determination. Intention is determination to do a specific act in a specific manner. Focus is putting your attention on a certain thing. Concentration is a closed or fixed attention. Physical movement, though not always needed, is moving in a prescribed manner that supports the qi flow. Doubtlessness is having total confidence that what you want to happen will happen. All these things together make up Yi. At an intermediate level, Yi becomes unconscious, to the point that you simply have internal control over your energy- it becomes as easy as lifting your arm or turning your head. At an even more advanced level, Yi is refined to the point that the energy just moves without you noticing it. At the level of a master, there is no Yi! Whatever happens, happens beyond conscious thought. This is referred to as wuwei (non-doing, Chinese), or mushin (No-mind, Japanese).

I'd suggest trying the exercise again leaving out the visualization and "ki ball" ideas. Don't let this demotivate you. The idea is to build up a strong connection and control of Qi through mostly thought alone.

I'll post my experiences now.

I started with Dantien meditation for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes I felt very calm, I felt energized. I felt a large amount of Qi in the Dantien and the spine, and a swirling sensation in my head (as is usual for me). Anyway, I made the hand sign, touching my thumbs and index finger together. I was in a seated posture, and my arms were at shoulder level. I closed my eyes and began to meditate, focusing on the palms of the hand. I affirmed to myself, "I am going to fill my hands up with Qi". I focused on the hands and began very deep breathing, with the intention to gather Qi in the hands. As I did this, I could feel Qi moving from the Dantien, up the spine, and up the outer arm meridians to the laogong point in the hands. I was not consciously guiding the Qi from the Dantien, rather it was moving on it's own to follow my focus on the hands. After a while, my hands became very warm, and I had a strong magnetic feeling in the palms. My hands felt heavy. The hands began to tingle strongly, almost like they do when your foot falls asleep. As I continued, these sensations grew and even began to encompass the forearms and part of my upper arm. After a while of this, I decided it was enough, so I opened my eyes and stopped. I noticed that my arms and hands had lowered from shoulder level to about the level of my chest while I was doing the exercise.

My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

July 06, 2012, 12:47:46 PM
Reply #3

JustinReeves

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
Alright. Thanks. I'll do this along with the Microcosmic Orbit and Baduanjin.