Author Topic: A message from mystic  (Read 1769 times)

June 07, 2012, 11:44:15 AM
Read 1769 times

Koujiryuu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
This is a message mystic wanted me to pass along to you guys.

He's a regular poster on the BEA forums. 8 years ago, he had a website called "ki-teachings.com", and I was a Teacher there. I've known him for a long time, and he actually helped peer review/edit the course content. Since he cared enough about you all to send this to me, I'm posting it here.

While I understand Kouji has a qi gong study group in session at the time of this writing, I wanted to clarify a few things that will only serve to help what you guys could be doing with Kouji in his study group. The group covers a lot of areas that may be important to generate optimum health as well as provide some basic understanding of Dao. That in itself is a great thing to undertake. But in the process of that undertaking, there are some recommendations that need to be made only to help your progress.

I think the first thing is to know what your goal is - what do you expect from performing these practices? Do you expect them to aid other practices? If you practice them exclusively, what is it you want from it? The question seems pedantic, especially when one considers the myriad aspects of Daoist cultivation. However, the question is an important one because it determines the "path" that one takes. My path and goals is not synonymous to your path. While I want to gain a deeper philosophical, anthropological and ontological understanding of the schools associated with the longmen pai sect of Daoism, not everyone is going to have that same intent. Some want better health, some want better concentration. In that, they are both applicable goals. Know what you want to deal with first. That creates a path in and of itself.

Let's be frank. Cultivation schools each have similar intentions to gain foundation to prepare the body and mind for the deep steps. The major rules are of sex, diet and physical exercise. Each aspect is linked in and of itself. Sex is somewhat detrimental to practice in that the more sex you have, the less in harmony your body is in. The same can be said of diet and physical exercise. Remember two fundamental things. Shen controls jing, qi charges jing and jing charges qi. The three are important for the beginning process.

But that doesn't mean that one should be obsessed if you have sex or eat something unhealthy. The unique thing about Dao is the diversity. Above the yang shen dao which stresses no sex or bad foods, there is some leniency to these rules. If you have to have sex, frankly go ahead and do it. If you have to eat a piece of pie or cake, do it! There's nothing wrong with it. Where issue arises is when the mind attaches to those things. And that becomes detrimental to any practice, no matter the path. No one is asking you to be buddha yet. Unless you want to go down that road. In those times, be cognizant of the cravings. Be cognizant of the aversion. You want to be with those things to the point to where they lack meaning and lack derivation of any feeling. When that occurs, the things become a matter of choice and you clearly understand that the cravings and aversions are derivation of the mind.

A major problem I had with starting my practices was my mind. I won't lie, I would constantly ask my teachers why won't my mind shut the heck up? Everyone knows what I mean. If the mind is actually quiet from thoughts, you hear elevator music of the mind and the first thought is come on! I just want to sit shut up brain! Of course, I make a jest of the process in the mind, but the important thing is the reaction you have from quieting the mind. A lot of times we often get dejected from the lack of silence in the mind. But there are a lot of things to understand with mental activity. It's coordinated by breathing and it is a form of attachment.

The mind is a funny entity in that it always has to attach to something. Be it some area of the body, pain or even a thought. The mind will attach to it. It makes aspects of ba duan jin (any form rather) and meditation a pain. However, in the beginning there are some fundamental aspects that have to be understood. First of all, don't feel dejected if your mind won't seem to quiet. The dejection you feel is more counterintuitive than the rumblings of your mind because it makes you not want to practice with an idea that you won't get it. In this aspect, you have to understand a lot.

What makes practice good or bad? What do you consider good practice? Immediately one will say when the mind is quiet, the body is flexible and relaxed right? I thought that way myself being a large perfectionist! By that logic, if your body is inflexible, you're not relaxed, that's not good practice, right? A key secret is that such concepts don't exist! You are creating those concepts and they are impeding your practice! There is no such thing as good or bad practice. It is practice! While I understand Allen Iverson hates practice versus the big game, Daoist cultivation paths is quite different. Don't associate good or bad with practice, JUST PRACTICE. If you feel something be with it. If you don't feel anything, be with it. But ultimately be open to all of it.

I remember starting out about 12 years ago on OECs like the kidojo or the Underground society. A lot of what I mentioned was not there and there was heavy promotion of a lot of improper practices that stressed on feelings and things to derive results. But even under traditional practices, I had very little progress because of my mind. And I understand in the beginning, above the body, there is mind that impedes a lot of practice. But even saying that assumes that we have no control of that. In many ways we don't, but you learn to live in harmony with that mind. With peace, balance, and acceptance.

It isn't much, but if you follow some of these suggestions, you will see some progress. Probably the main thing is be happy when you practice. Accept your feelings your mind and thoughts through your early practices. Even accept your physical limitations. I promise if you do that and the work, you will see progress with minimal work. We have a joke in our groups. A person can practice for 20 years and still won't see the white light, purify the mind or even heal the body!

Relax, be happy, do one selfless thing a day, meditate, and do something to generate a pulse. If you do all of that and detach from mind craving and aversions, you'll see lots of progress almost immediately.

Good luck everyone
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

June 07, 2012, 03:48:06 PM
Reply #1

ezpero

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
It seems like the message is to find a reason for why you train, and do not obsess yourself on right and wrong during practice, just feel?
Maybe we need to create a thread to share the reason of following this study group Kouji? Just an idea, maybe if the foundation is analyzed and strengthened, each member might produce a more fruitful experience from their practice.

BTW, what is "Shen"?

June 07, 2012, 04:33:07 PM
Reply #2

Koujiryuu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Quote from: ezpero
It seems like the message is to find a reason for why you train, and do not obsess yourself on right and wrong during practice, just feel?

That's a part of it. There's more to it than that, though. It's also about acceptance, love, and learning to let go. That is, in Wuwei meditation (no mind- this is next week's exercise that will be posted tomorrow), don't get frustrated or angry with yourself for being unable to quiet the mind. Rather, be accepting of your thoughts, learn to love them, and learn to let go of them. Let go of yourself and give yourself up to the universe. This is also relevant to ones' personal actions and all things in life.

Maybe we need to create a thread to share the reason of following this study group Kouji? Just an idea, maybe if the foundation is analyzed and strengthened, each member might produce a more fruitful experience from their practice.

This is as good a thread as any. I'd like to keep the forums uncluttered. If you want to share your reasons, and answer some of mystic's questions, I will share mine.

BTW, what is "Shen"?

Shen will be discussed in week 5 at length. Shen is one of the Three Treasures of Man (San Bao 三寶). Shen means essentially, "spirit mind". Shen's root is the upper Dantien in the head and corresponds with the Ajna chakra. Shen gives birth to Yi (Mind-Intention), which in turn leads Qi. The best way to define Shen, is that it is at once your Soul, your mind, and your consciousness. We will go over this theory, and how Jing, Qi and Shen interact in depth later on.

There are also the Three Treasures of Daoism (compassion, frugality, and meekness) which are detailed here: wikipedia
My Articles

June 08, 2012, 04:09:20 AM
Reply #3

ezpero

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
That's a part of it. There's more to it than that, though. It's also about acceptance, love, and learning to let go. That is, in Wuwei meditation (no mind- this is next week's exercise that will be posted tomorrow), don't get frustrated or angry with yourself for being unable to quiet the mind. Rather, be accepting of your thoughts, learn to love them, and learn to let go of them. Let go of yourself and give yourself up to the universe. This is also relevant to ones' personal actions and all things in life.
Sorry, got the urge to oversimplify the points when I posted them before, but you're right, it's deeper than that.

This is as good a thread as any. I'd like to keep the forums uncluttered. If you want to share your reasons, and answer some of mystic's questions, I will share mine.
I guess sharing things might open some new insights.

what do you expect from performing these practices?
To understand more of the parts of my existence that I haven't touched before in my previous approaches.
To hone my senses and control over myself and my world, both physical and non physical.
To have fun and learn a new experience.

Do you expect them to aid other practices?
Yes, got the feeling that this path might help in completing my comprehension of myself and my connection to the world, not sure how, but my path told me to follow this path here for the time being.

There are also the Three Treasures of Daoism (compassion, frugality, and meekness) which are detailed here: wikipedia
Thanks, I'll look into it.

June 08, 2012, 10:34:28 AM
Reply #4

Koujiryuu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
what do you expect from performing these practices? Do you expect them to aid other practices? If you practice them exclusively, what is it you want from it?

I don't expect anything from performing these practices. Do they aid other practices? Sure. Do I practice them exclusively? No.

The answers are rather simple for me; thus, I'm never let down by the practice, as I usually get more than I hope for.

It's a process of letting go, not being attached to the practice, and not defining them rigidly.
My Articles

June 08, 2012, 03:32:15 PM
Reply #5

ezpero

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
I don't expect anything from performing these practices. Do they aid other practices? Sure. Do I practice them exclusively? No.

I'm never let down by the practice, as I usually get more than I hope for.

It's a process of letting go, not being attached to the practice, and not defining them rigidly.

Food for my contemplation, thanks Kouji. :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 05:24:47 PM by ezpero »