Author Topic: Zen meditation experiences and questions.  (Read 5389 times)

June 05, 2012, 03:38:24 PM
Reply #15

Mindlessinvalid

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Crazy and Can't Get out of Bed
    • View Profile
Today I did my Zen Meditation the way Koujiryuu detailed and hit some pretty intense altered consciousness. I looked along my nose as some qigong teachers suggest, and instead of closing my eyes I kept them open and stared at a mark I made on the back of my couch for this purpose.

The focal point was really bright, but the rest of the room was fairly dark. I was deep enough into samadhi that I only spent a small amount of time marveling at the sensations. My head felt really clear, like it was the furthest I'd gotten ever into no-mind state. I'd attribute this to taking up qigong because I've been doing Void and Zen meditation for a while now and haven't had this level of success, I also feel like I only progressed this quickly because I was 2 and a half weeks into Koujiryuu's other program already.
Clothes make the man, and naked people have little or no say in society.

June 05, 2012, 04:12:49 PM
Reply #16

Koujiryuu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Today I did my Zen Meditation the way Koujiryuu detailed and hit some pretty intense altered consciousness. I looked along my nose as some qigong teachers suggest, and instead of closing my eyes I kept them open and stared at a mark I made on the back of my couch for this purpose.

The focal point was really bright, but the rest of the room was fairly dark. I was deep enough into samadhi that I only spent a small amount of time marveling at the sensations. My head felt really clear, like it was the furthest I'd gotten ever into no-mind state. I'd attribute this to taking up qigong because I've been doing Void and Zen meditation for a while now and haven't had this level of success, I also feel like I only progressed this quickly because I was 2 and a half weeks into Koujiryuu's other program already.

:)

There's a reason I wanted you to keep your eyes open. Congrats!

The focal point gets very bright for me as well.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

June 05, 2012, 05:55:02 PM
Reply #17

NathanE

• Posts By Osmosis

• BEEFCAKE BEEFCAKE

• View Profile
The past 2 days while doing meditation. I fell asleep but I was hitting the clear headed it reminded me of yoga breathing exercises. I plan on meditating tonight fixing the problem with me being tired from lack of sleep.
Chance is a word void of sense; nothing can exist without a cause. ~Voltaire

Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.~Scott Adams

“Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets”

June 06, 2012, 08:14:35 PM
Reply #18

NathanE

• Posts By Osmosis

• BEEFCAKE BEEFCAKE

• View Profile
I got a tunnel vision kinda today while meditating and the colors of my peripheral vision blended into a soup of bright colors while everything at the point of focus was still clear. It was more like a tunnel of sight. I did not fall asleep today while doing the meditation instead I for most of it I was experiencing my thoughts on the day attempting to let them flow away from me and they returned. Near the end I did get to a clear headed state like the previous two days but it was short lived due to work. I feel very relaxed when i get into a clear headed feeling like I am drifting in a river sensation.
Chance is a word void of sense; nothing can exist without a cause. ~Voltaire

Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.~Scott Adams

“Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets”

June 06, 2012, 10:31:59 PM
Reply #19

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
Today, I sat and focused on a dark patch on my couch. I entered very quickly into a calm state of mind, and almost no thoughts were present; any that were, I paid no heed to, and they quickly vanished. As I got deeper into meditation, I became acutely aware of my entire body. It was a strange sort of awareness because I also felt detached from my body at the same time. The only other thing I took note of was a tingling sensation I started feeling all over my body. I don't know what it was, but it was pretty cool.  :P
(18:23) (@kobok) They taught me about that moth in college.
(01:06) (@kobok) (⊙ ‿ ⊙)

June 07, 2012, 11:50:50 AM
Reply #20

Koujiryuu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Today, I sat and focused on a dark patch on my couch. I entered very quickly into a calm state of mind, and almost no thoughts were present; any that were, I paid no heed to, and they quickly vanished. As I got deeper into meditation, I became acutely aware of my entire body. It was a strange sort of awareness because I also felt detached from my body at the same time. The only other thing I took note of was a tingling sensation I started feeling all over my body. I don't know what it was, but it was pretty cool.  :P

That tingling sensation, especially if accompanied by warmth, is probably Qi. Yes, you will feel it all over your body. You should also notice a rise and peak of it while inhaling, and feel it subside slightly while exhaling..
My Articles

June 07, 2012, 01:38:33 PM
Reply #21

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile

That tingling sensation, especially if accompanied by warmth, is probably Qi. Yes, you will feel it all over your body. You should also notice a rise and peak of it while inhaling, and feel it subside slightly while exhaling..
Ah, thank you. I will try to pay more attention to the feeling next time. Hopefully without creating analytical overlay.  :P
(18:23) (@kobok) They taught me about that moth in college.
(01:06) (@kobok) (⊙ ‿ ⊙)

June 07, 2012, 02:54:52 PM
Reply #22

OnePsion

• View Profile
Week 1: Zen meditation

Passed as expected. It was the same as focal meditation with candle, but I didn't get the same "tunnel vision" thing. I've caught myself thinking many times , but with practising, they will diminish I think..

P.S. I'm not really good in writing expiriences or diary (and i don't really like that  :P ), so forgive me for my conciseness  :cow:

June 07, 2012, 04:37:37 PM
Reply #23

Koujiryuu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
P.S. I'm not really good in writing expiriences or diary (and i don't really like that  Tongue ), so forgive me for my conciseness

As long as you post your experiences, no matter how uneventful they are, you're good.
My Articles

June 07, 2012, 07:17:26 PM
Reply #24

Nix

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    Ace of Spades
    • View Profile
I have a habit of arching my back forward while I put it on the wall.. It was an obstacle but, rather then focus on getting it correct, I thought it would be easier and more comfortable if I left it there. And it was, mostly due to the fact that I'm pretty skiny for my height, and my spine can easily be felt/the "bumps" can be seen. So having a hard surface on them was rather uncomfortable..

After I stopped focussing on my back, I found it pretty easy to clear my mind a few minutes afterwards. Easier then the void meditation on a candle flame, in y opinion; however, I have not done that in some time. But I keep getting the "tunnel vision" I suppose, only everything goes blurry and fades out, including my focal point. So I would have to refocus my eyes often. I tried taking slow, deep breaths, but didn't want to focus on my breathing to much also..

Unfortunately, like with every meditating session, I did the zen meditation sessions at night, right before bed, which made falling asleep rather difficult. XD But it's the ont time when it's somewhat quiet in my house so I won't complain. =P

Next time, should I pay more attention to my back posture and my breathing?
vitam diligere ...
diligunt mortem ...

June 08, 2012, 11:29:52 AM
Reply #25

Koujiryuu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Next time, should I pay more attention to my back posture and my breathing?

Yes.

If you need me to post pictures of the proper seated meditation posture I can.

Your upper back should be flat against the wall, while your lower back can be a little ways off the wall. This makes it easier to take deep breaths. Remember to keep the head back and in line with the spinal cord and the chin down.

All Qigong and meditation begins with breathing. When you breath, breath through the nose. You want to push your stomach out, then push your chest out, until the lungs are completely full of air. When exhaling, exhale slowly, and when you exhale all the way push the stomach in slightly ("suck it in") because this forces air out of the lower lungs via the diaphragm. This will allow you to inhale more fresh air.
My Articles

June 10, 2012, 01:38:04 PM
Reply #26

JustinReeves

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
I did this meditation in my room. I was focusing on this small speck that is on my dresser. Within the first minute of the exercise everything around me because hazy. It is similar to what happens to me when I practice Telekinesis. When I practice Tk, I try to connect to the object for about an hour. Often, everything around me goes dark and all the attention is on the psi wheel. However when I did this exercise the room was hazy as though I was seeing energy but more clearly and "efficiently." Whenever I stay in this position the area under my knee tends to cramp up and my concentration gets broken. Does this happen to you? :/

June 12, 2012, 06:42:47 PM
Reply #27

huntmiester

• View Profile
Hey its me hunt so I have done this Med. For 4 days so far.... the first day focused on this dot I drew on a piece of paper for awhile and all of a sudden my body felt numb and for a sec I couldn't move.....the second day I did the same thing except I didn't get numb, instead I got t his tiggling feeling.... the other days were like my second day and by the fourth day I was more focused and I didn't get distracted that easily....well that's pretty much it :cool: