Author Topic: 3 Basic Qigong forms experiences and questions  (Read 5742 times)

June 04, 2012, 05:46:03 PM
Reply #15

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
During Lifting the Sky I felt occasional cooling sensations in my arms and shoulders; I'm not sure if this is due to the elevation change or something else. I also felt calm.

During Pushing Water, I felt an incredible contentedness, despite the fact that my legs were starting to hurt like hell toward the end. This was probably the least eventful form for me.

During Shaolin Archer, I because almost entirely focused on the tips of my fingers; the few thoughts that popped into my head always had something to do with QiGong.

I didn't notice anything that I would call Qi movement this session (unless I count the cooling sensation during Liftingthe Sky).
After the end of the set, I felt pretty in tune with myself. I drank a nice cup of tea to finish it off.  :wink:
(18:23) (@kobok) They taught me about that moth in college.
(01:06) (@kobok) (⊙ ‿ ⊙)

June 04, 2012, 05:55:07 PM
Reply #16

Koujiryuu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
During Lifting the Sky I felt occasional cooling sensations in my arms and shoulders; I'm not sure if this is due to the elevation change or something else. I also felt calm.

During Pushing Water, I felt an incredible contentedness, despite the fact that my legs were starting to hurt like hell toward the end. This was probably the least eventful form for me.

During Shaolin Archer, I because almost entirely focused on the tips of my fingers; the few thoughts that popped into my head always had something to do with QiGong.

I didn't notice anything that I would call Qi movement this session (unless I count the cooling sensation during Liftingthe Sky).
After the end of the set, I felt pretty in tune with myself. I drank a nice cup of tea to finish it off.  :wink:

Excellent.

Yes, Pushing Water can be hard on the legs or painful. It is said that in China, sometimes this exercise would be done with a gallon bucket of water on a handle in each hand (gripped with the fists). So, you'd not only have to do the exercise, but also balance the bucket full of water so it doesn't spill; if you were in a monastery, the head monk would slap you on the lower back with a piece of bamboo if you spilled at all ;) So, the legs hurting could be the least of your worries. xD

When doing these exercises, try not to let the mind wander. It may help to do Zen meditation first. Try and become aware of your sense of body awareness in meditation. Blank out, and focus on feeling your whole body. Trace your sense of feeling from the toes, up the legs, the Dantien, the abdomen, the chest, the arms, the neck and the head. Pay attention to how certain areas feel. Do you feel cold? Do you feel hot? Do you notice any other sensations anywhere? Try and reach out and feel the area around your body too, not just the sense of your physical body, but the space of your "aura". Now, do your Qigong forms and focus on the Dantien, but also focus on the whole body, and even outside it. Don't try and control anything, just blank out and be perceptive of yourself, be the quiet person in the room of your mind who rarely speaks but when he does, he is wise and commands attention.

Eventually if you practice this you may start to become more attuned to what the Qigong forms do. It is subtle, but if you are detached and observe, you will find something eventually.

~Kouji
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

June 04, 2012, 06:14:08 PM
Reply #17

ezpero

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
Everyone experiences these exercises differently.

It isn't whether it's supposed to happen or not; these are all valid confirmatory experiences from doing Qigong properly.

Personally, with Lifting the Sky, I usually feel Qi rising up my back and outer arm to my forearms, palms and head when my hands are over my head. On the way down, I feel the Qi go back to my lower Dantien, and sometimes into the legs.

How does Qi feels actually? I'm somewhat familiar with the concept (I think), here where I lived its viewed to be somewhat close to the western world view of aether, all pervading, all existing, a pure life force that fills the world around. But I'm not really sure of how it actually feels like. The feelings I get so far are pressures from within my palms, heat circulation within my arms, gentle outer pressures and some "misty" densities around my movements.

When pushing the hands back down, try to imagine you're trying to push a floating log down into a river- this is one common visualization used. Take note of how the Qi feels when you do this.

I already felt that kind of sensations without imagining it, it felt like some sort of density and pressure giving a very gentle and soft upward resistance when I push my palm down during the downward movement. But I don't know if that is Qi or not.

It is normal to feel heavy when doing Pushing Water. Keep at it though. Focus your attention on the Dantien as you do it, and the rest of the body. You should try and blank out, while focusing on the Dantien.

I see, I'm just a little uncomfortable with the experience today. Yesterday, it was a very comfortable heaviness, firm and sturdy, but today it's a very heavy experience, like being pushed down with more than 1G (analogically).

Remember when doing Shaolin Archer, to make the One Finger Zen hand formation as you do it and focus on the tip of the index finger as you push the leading hand out.

Yes, I've been doing it that way, on the bow hand (the one that does the One Finger Zen) the pressure is felt on the index and thumbs, as well as the wrist and forearm. The string hand felt some pressure as well, but not that intense. I also focused my vision to the zen finger, which is why I felt a lot more focus before.

If you have any other questions, ask.

I will, that's one of the things I do best, questions :P

June 04, 2012, 07:08:31 PM
Reply #18

Koujiryuu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
How does Qi feels actually? I'm somewhat familiar with the concept (I think), here where I lived its viewed to be somewhat close to the western world view of aether, all pervading, all existing, a pure life force that fills the world around. But I'm not really sure of how it actually feels like. The feelings I get so far are pressures from within my palms, heat circulation within my arms, gentle outer pressures and some "misty" densities around my movements.

That's essentially it.

However, don't worry about feeling Qi, yet. In later weeks we will do an exercise to feel and control our Qi. At this point, you guys don't have a large quantity of Qi to work with, so any sensations you feel will generally be weak..

That's what these exercises are for- generating your own Qi. They also serve to bring the Neiqi from the Middle Dantien down to the Lower Dantien, so Jing can develop.

At this point, Qi well feel like a tingly warmth, or a pressure. The more you practice, the stronger it will feel. To me, Qi feels like a very bright, crisp, clear polarized force. It also feels somewhat magnetic, or like a molten metal that causes the skin on my forearms to stand up when I bring Qi to the hands. It feels very refined and powerful. It is at once both heavy and light, and it has the properties of water. Sometimes it is warm. Sometimes it is cold. It follows my mind.

I see, I'm just a little uncomfortable with the experience today. Yesterday, it was a very comfortable heaviness, firm and sturdy, but today it's a very heavy experience, like being pushed down with more than 1G (analogically).

Some of it may be in your head. If you expect to be heavy, you will feel heavy.

Instead of focusing on your legs during that exercise, focus on your arms. Also, try and feel "light". Focus on how light your arms feel in comparison to your legs.

If you focus and expect to feel light, you will feel light...

My Articles

June 05, 2012, 10:31:36 AM
Reply #19

Mindlessinvalid

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Crazy and Can't Get out of Bed
    • View Profile
Day 2:
Lifting the Sky: I had a much more satisfying experience today. My energy calmed down considerably, then I felt my limbs become lighter. A couple times when I craned my neck back, I felt energy rushing into my skull and my mind quieted down considerably once each wave subsided.

Pushing the Water: I had a slightly easier time with this one today, and my lower abdomen and middle back felt a good flow of energy halfway through. This flow persisted a while into shaolin archer when I changed forms.

Shaolin Archer: My forearms and outside palms had a stretching sensation, and I started to see a phantom outline of my hands after a minute or so (I had already been working on auric sight for a little while before I started this class). My arms, neck, and upper back felt the most energy flow during this exercise.

Clothes make the man, and naked people have little or no say in society.

June 06, 2012, 08:08:15 PM
Reply #20

NathanE

• Posts By Osmosis

• BEEFCAKE BEEFCAKE

• View Profile
Day 1&2
Lifting the sky.
My hands felt a little heavy at the beginning but later felt cool on the back of the hands while warm palms and finger tips. I also experienced a relaxing sensation on my shoulders and neck like I was being massaged. Near the end of the form my hands where getting heavy again and tinges of pain. I was also having trouble focusing just on the breathing throughout this form due to work related stress.

Pushing water.
I began this form more focused on breathing and it was an odd sensation my hands still hurt a little but it ebbed away during this form near the beginning. During the form my right knee did hurt. But the sensation in my hands where more of a slight itch being scratched is the best way I could describe it during most of the form.

Shaolin Archer.
Though out the entire form of Shaolin Archer my index finger inside tendons where very stiff and made it harder to focus. But I did work through the form for awhile focusing on my finger tip it was very relaxing for me still even though sensation of an itch being scratch was not as strong and the Pushing water form.

I don't know if this will help or hinder me but I did the physical therapy I was prescribed afterwords which is some yoga forms for my knees and shoulder.
I will post again tomorrow morning for my day three experiences.
Chance is a word void of sense; nothing can exist without a cause. ~Voltaire

Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.~Scott Adams

“Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets”

June 06, 2012, 08:16:32 PM
Reply #21

Nix

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    Ace of Spades
    • View Profile
The video you created was extremly helpful, Koujiryuu. Thank you! :)

Lifting the Sky: It took some time for my arms to adjust to the movement, but after that, it went pretty well. I was waring shorts and a t-shirt at the time, and it was kind of chilly. However, towards the middle and end of the session, I felt a warmth like sensation in my arms, and and legs. Also, towards the middle of the sessions, my hear and smell were at a heightened level, I could here the music my mother was playing in the kitchen, and I could here her speaking to my father. I became used to these noises and the cars outside pretty easily. But then I was startled because my mother opened the bathroom door suddenly and it made a loud/abrupt creaking noise. After, I was done, I sat down to take a rest before moving on, and I realized my upper torso area, arms, and head were burning! My legs still felt a little warmer, but not as hot. I, personally speaking, probably had the most favorable/productive results with this exercise than with pushing water and shaolin archer.

Also, during last night's session I realized I kept my arms in the wrong position. I would raise as if I was doing the pushing water, with my palms facing the ground. Then, halfway up, I would Turn them upwards, with my palms facing the ceiling. I hope that doesn't make much of a difference..

Pushing water: You were right, this one was very straining for my knees. I had to cut these sessions early due to the discomfort. My arms were used to the motion by now. But I was still confused as to how I should keep my feet. I know I should keep them a little past shoulder length, but I didn't know where I should keep my toes pointed outwards inwards, etc. or how to bend my knees. I'll spend more time on these sessions next time.

Shaolin Archer: My fingers and arms had a feeling of a force move through them while I was swinging them around to the other side, and out of my palms. Which I found odd since I would push out with the opposite arm/hand..
vitam diligere ...
diligunt mortem ...

June 06, 2012, 10:43:32 PM
Reply #22

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
I had some pretty cool experiences today. I mostly attribute them to being in a calmer state of mind when I started the forms, thanks to Zen Meditation.

During Lifting the Sky, whenever I would bring my hands back down, there was a tingling sensation around my torso, this tingling sort of "collected" in the Dantien. I checked to make sure the tingling feeling wasn't due to my hands brushing against my body, but my hands were far enough away to avoid that. I hope it wasn't just wishful thinking; I'd like to take it as a good sign.  :)

During Pushing Water, I had two interesting experiences. When I first started this form, I noticed how deep the sinking part of the form felt to me. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but it felt sort of like the entirety of my being sunk down with my body. This only lasted for the first few repetitions, but it was interesting feeling. Secondly, on occasion, while performing this form, It felt like I was actually in water. Whenever I crouched, it felt like I was sinking into cold water; whenever I rose, it felt like I was ascending into warmer water. There was also a slight feeling of weightlessness when rising, despite the pain in my legs.

I wouldn't call Shaolin Archer very eventful, but I noticed the same things as I did last time I wrote about this form. The movements felt natural, and I maintained a nice focus throughout. Every now and then, I noticed the same tingling sensations as above, but much less pronounced. This form was calming, compared to the energizing of the other two forms.

June 07, 2012, 11:51:33 AM
Reply #23

Koujiryuu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Good job guys, keep it up.

Remember, if you have any specific questions, ask away :)
My Articles

June 07, 2012, 03:05:40 PM
Reply #24

OnePsion

• View Profile
During Lifting the sky: while lifting hands I felt energy collecting at my palms and while lowering hands I felt like they are gliding to very dense liquid, like sinking a spoon into honey  :D

During Pushing water: I had the same "honey feeling", but after a while I've god really tired. Didn't had pain in my quads but my whole body was tired  :eek:

During Shaolin archer: I felt like I'm really stretching the bow.

June 08, 2012, 03:20:44 AM
Reply #25

ezpero

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
I''m not sure why, but I'm starting to play preference while doing the forms for some reason.

I did Lifting the Sky very often, the feeling makes me feel energized and balanced, each set just makes me want to do it again. However, I'm starting to get uncomfortable doing Pushing Water, not because of the physical sensations, but somehow I feel a little silly doing the move, I don't know why, I just got the urge to want to finish each sets as quickly as possible. On Shaolin Archer, it felt a lot more complicated now than when I did it at the first few days of training, I kind of wished I did it before I did Pushing Water, the urgency to want to finish things quickly from the Water practice felt like it disturbs my form on the Archer practice.

LIfting the sky, the air around me felt somewhat denser as I did the exercise, the tingling sensations and heat circulation are felt around my palm and forearms, also felt it on my shoulders but not as strong as the ones on my arms, I feel myself somewhat solidified as I inhale and do the upward movement, and expands as I exhale and do the downward movement.

Pushing Water, the knee doesn't hurt this time, both of my feet felt strong and firm, the sensations on my arms from doing Lifting the Sky is still there, so I also felt them as I move my arms upwards and downwards on Pushing Water.

Shaolin Archer, I'm a little confused during the exercise, I kept getting the wrong movement, somehow things felt complicated. I decided to slow things down a little, manage to find a rhythm, but it still felt a little awkward. I also found difficulties on the breathing rhythm, keep having the urge to inhale instead of exhale while stretching my zen finger. For the sensations, I felt some stretching feeling on both of my arms and shoulder, also some accumulated pressure on my zen finger.

Also, I tried doing the forms while closing my eyes just for the sake of curiousity, the sensations felt a little "stronger" than when I opened my eyes. Since Shaolin Archer requires me to look at my zen fingers, I imagine looking at my fingers while closing the eyes, the sensations felt similar, just more clear.

June 08, 2012, 11:23:46 AM
Reply #26

Koujiryuu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
I did Lifting the Sky very often, the feeling makes me feel energized and balanced, each set just makes me want to do it again. However, I'm starting to get uncomfortable doing Pushing Water, not because of the physical sensations, but somehow I feel a little silly doing the move, I don't know why, I just got the urge to want to finish each sets as quickly as possible. On Shaolin Archer, it felt a lot more complicated now than when I did it at the first few days of training, I kind of wished I did it before I did Pushing Water, the urgency to want to finish things quickly from the Water practice felt like it disturbs my form on the Archer practice.

Lifting the Sky is nice. It is normal for you to become attached to one form, especially one you have a vivid experience with, but you must look past this and take your time on all of them and realize they all benefit you differently. For me, I get attached to Shaolin Archer, I really enjoy that one.

Regarding Pushing Water: Just do as many reps of it as is comfortable. Do them slowly and fluidly. I guarantee you being good at Pushing Water is useful (because it will make your legs like tree trunks)- it is a good way to build the leg muscles for the later exercises, Baduanjin. Baduanjin is a form of Zhan Zhuang (standing on stakes) and it involves a lot of standing with the weight sunk. This is very hard on the knees after a time. Keep at it.

Shaolin Archer is somewhat weird with the hand movement. The easiest way to do it without being flowery is:

1. Raise your left hand, turn your head to look at it.
2. Bring it around your chest in a straight line in front of you while looking at it until your hand is by your right shoulder (while inhaling)
3. Simultaneously begin to draw back like a bow very slowly with your left hand, make a fist with it, at the same time raise your right hand, in an straight line until it is chest level, then push straight out while doing the One Finger Zen hand sign.
4. Repeat for the right side.

Here, watch this video, it might help you. This is a friend of mine from a long time ago doing Shaolin Archer, he might make it look a little easier than my motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI92mAQytAU&feature=youtu.be
My Articles

June 08, 2012, 03:37:33 PM
Reply #27

ezpero

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
Here, watch this video, it might help you. This is a friend of mine from a long time ago doing Shaolin Archer, he might make it look a little easier than my motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI92mAQytAU&feature=youtu.be

It says private video, told me to log in to an account. I'll try it again later when I'm logged in, thanks for the link though.

June 08, 2012, 05:47:43 PM
Reply #28

Koujiryuu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Fixed to unlisted, you should be able to see it now, sorry.
My Articles

June 08, 2012, 10:14:59 PM
Reply #29

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
Hey Koujiryuu, are we supposed to keep doing these forms along with the new meditations? Do we do them for a shorter length of time, or the same length? Does it even matter?  :P