Author Topic: Making use of Dreams  (Read 3032 times)

May 29, 2012, 05:39:12 PM
Read 3032 times

michaeljl

• Settling In

• View Profile
    • My Blog
I've always heard that Mendeleev came up with the periodic table in a dream, but I haven't found the source of this story.

That having been said, I've started using dreams to work on problems I'm dealing with. Whenever I'm stuck and getting tired, I'll lay down, close my eyes, and enter a dream like state while still focusing all of my attention on the problem I'm working on.

When it ends up working, I'll fall asleep with my mind still working on the problem. Granted, since I am in a dream state there can be a lot of nonsense that my mind will come up with, but it will also make interesting associations I might not have thought of when in my right mind.

Dreams are also one of my primary sources of poetic inspiration, and I've described many of my dream experiences in the form of poetry--something belonging to the tradition I practice.

What do you use dreams for?
\\\"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.\\\" - Nietzsche

May 29, 2012, 06:01:42 PM
Reply #1

Constructman

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Nothing to read here
    • View Profile
I think that the reason people often come up with great ideas at random timing, like in dreams, is because your subconscious mind is at work constantly. Even if your conscious mind isn't thinking on the problem, your subconscious is still at work. However, you can't program your subconscious to work around deadlines, so it can be problematic when you come up with a great idea the nigh before.

As for me, I rarely remember my dreams in full clarity. Most of them are about random stuff (me dropping off my friend and the car driving away on its own).

May 29, 2012, 06:08:45 PM
Reply #2

michaeljl

• Settling In

• View Profile
    • My Blog
I think you're getting the subconscious and the unconscious mixed up.

As for me, I rarely remember my dreams in full clarity. Most of them are about random stuff (me dropping off my friend and the car driving away on its own).

I believe that you have to wake up before finishing a REM cycle to remember your dreams. Also, it seems that dreams don't like to move from short term memories to long term memories unless you write them down or something.

\\\"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.\\\" - Nietzsche

May 29, 2012, 06:10:36 PM
Reply #3

Constructman

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Nothing to read here
    • View Profile
Oh yeah, I did. Wait, did I? Ok, now I'm confused.

May 29, 2012, 06:11:32 PM
Reply #4

michaeljl

• Settling In

• View Profile
    • My Blog
Oh yeah, I did. Wait, did I? Ok, now I'm confused.

Subconscious is when you're asleep and dreaming, unconscious is something from Freud--the part of your mind you're unaware of (the existence of which is debatable).

June 03, 2012, 02:11:36 PM
Reply #5

Iatros

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Maybe you are thinking of Niels Bohr's dream about electron orbitals?

http://www.dreaminterpretation-dictionary.com/famous-dreams-11.html

Other have done similar things, interestingly enough, such as Friedrich August Kekulé.

http://web.chemdoodle.com/kekules-dream

Certainly, dreams can lead to fascinating inspirations such as these. I consider these even more impressive than coming up with the Periodic Table, which is only a method of organization. To come up with more-or-less accurate depictions of things which cannot be seen with the microscopes of that day is truly uncanny.

I personally use dreams either for inspiration or, during lucid dreams, exploring aspects of my own consciousness while they less adulterated by external stimuli. In the next few years, I'm interested in training a team of lucid dreamers (possibly using the NovaDreamer mask technology) to use in a new experimental paradigm which could actually put early psychoanalytical ideas about the unconscious to the test. On a less empirical note, I'm writing an article on elements of Jungian psychology and possible applications which I will post soon to the articles section of this forum.

Good topic.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 02:17:27 PM by Iatros »
"And in this lies my honour and my reward, - / That whenever I come to the fountain to drink I find the living water itself thirsty; / And it drinks me while I drink it." - Almustafa