Author Topic: Capoeira  (Read 2182 times)

May 01, 2004, 04:25:02 AM
Read 2182 times

Anthrox

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
I was wondering what are you thinking about capoeira:Its advantages and disadvantages to other MAs  .

May 03, 2004, 09:58:18 AM
Reply #1

the_flojo

• Veritas Furniture

• Flojo Mojo!

• Personal Text
    Yarrrrrrrrr!
    • View Profile
I don't know much about Capoeira, but I hear it's a dance-like "airy-fairy" martial art, although I doubt it's actually like that.

Ask Murray about it; he's the only member here who practices it, as far as I know.
When you describe a senseless act of destruction, such as building a catapult to launch a minivan through someone's livingroom window, to a group containing both males and females, you get these reactions:

Males:  Cool!
Females:  Why???

Thus, we see the fundamental difference between the sexe

May 04, 2004, 06:43:52 AM
Reply #2

Murray

• Veritas Furniture

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Pull my finger, I'm an Aikidoka
    • View Profile
I'm doing Capoeira, yes! Hmm, I'm sure Capoeira is good when used right, the idea is something like that you're supposed to be able to do exactly what the situation requires, if someone kicks your feet away, you land on your hands and kick him in the head, for example. But my group isn't focusing on self-defense, so I'm considering to quit and start somehting else. But Capoeira is really fun, and it's very good training, since you train the whole body, not just your hands and feet. You learn to really control your body. As for Capoeira against another martial-art, I'm not sure. If you're going to use Capoeira, and only Capoeira, you would have to be REALLY good at it.
"A dream where I slowly suck out a clown's vital organs with a hoover is a GOOD DREAM!"
 - Darkduck

June 09, 2004, 11:25:50 AM
Reply #3

TheFlameOfGod

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
    • MultiPowerMedia
Don't know if this will help. . .but here is a website with their basic moves ;) : http://www.wu-wien.ac.at/usr/h96b/h9650297/cap-basics.html
Online RPG in progress. . .Click link below for details.

June 09, 2004, 11:45:56 AM
Reply #4

qi_master

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Capoeira is a very deceptive art. I feel that it can be used against any other martial art if one is trained correctly.
Capoeira makes you invest alot of time in learning proper balance. This is where the deceptive stuff comes in. A Capoeira student may look like he is leaning back to kick you with his back leg when in reality he is getting ready to fall to his back to sweep you off your feet. These are some of the advantages.
The disadvantages are that it is really hard to learn Capoeira balance. You must learn to dance/move before you learn how to fight. It's all about the basics.