Author Topic: Renaming karma  (Read 10941 times)

April 22, 2012, 03:22:42 PM
Reply #45

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Interesting

Can the system therefore identify who is hitting what button? And therefore identify these ‘cliques’ as you describe them?

I’m not asking you to divulge the information but to let the groups and in light of these comments, particularly the magic group that activity can be tracked! This may in itself stop some of the stupidity.

If this is the case and you can obtain such data, you should be aware that it as been some time since I pressed either button and that ‘inline’ with your previous comment in #29 “And when karma values get near zero, positive or negative, there is a bit more reactive applauding and smiting where people try to nudge a person's karma to the value they think it should be for that person.” I tried to prevent an individual becoming too negative. If however you can only see block data and not time related then all you will see is me being part of a clique trying to upgrade another member?

Can you elaborate and let every group know please.

As a full-access site administrator I have access to the timestamped logs of every link clicked on by every single visitor of this site.  (Just as every site administrator does for every website you visit.)  The problem is, on a site this size this is a very very large volume of raw-data and information.  Sharing it raw is of course unacceptable, as that would be a significant privacy violation (and I take privacy seriously, as a matter of principle).  Although it takes significant time, I am capable of analyzing it by hand when searching for specific trends, specific problems, or evaluating specific abuses or potential abuses.  I also have scripts I've made for analyzing karma trends, specifically to detect patterns, time-dependent behavior, highlighting interactions or coordinations of groups of people, and so forth.  These scripts point out potential problems that I can then evaluate manually to see if abuses are going on.  This is how I know the rates of abuse, strangely obsessive usage of karma, and good use of karma in line with the intention of it.  Because of the volume of information, and the fact that I actually have a life, I cannot, will not, and do not track down every smite and applaud, nor anywhere close to this.  I look for patterns of abuse and use, and look for statistical trends in how it's being used.

So yes, I have the technical capability of obtaining the information I described, in a time-of-action manner.  (And what I described really has been happening.)  But it's not part of the "system", and cannot be shared in a non-privacy-disrupting way.
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

April 22, 2012, 03:37:20 PM
Reply #46

Searcher

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Yes they bite😈
    • View Profile
We may disagree on some issues Kobok but I know the difference between apples and oranges and I wouldn’t have expected anything less from you i.e. and I take privacy seriously, as a matter of principle.

Take it as a complement :rolleyes:

Searcher
We can look but do we see and we can listen but do we hear? So what gets in the way?
👂u have to say because I don't do hints👂

April 22, 2012, 03:38:28 PM
Reply #47

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
@Impervious: That part about disagreeing is simple. I personally take psionics as just one system, one branch of Magick. Magick itself is a huge world and as they are people with different professions in real world, there are practitioners within different systems in Magick.
Some do their working directly through their Selves, some uses supernatural beings, deities, God, planetary correspondences, etc. That's the first root of the argument. Second root of the argument is reason for practice. Some people practice to ascend to higher planes, some people practice to improve their mundane lives.
Let's assume we have a technician and an artist and they both are going to bake a pie. Although the result is a pie, they will use different process. Technician will go by strictly following the receipt, artist will try to customize the process as much as possible, giving his individuality to it. They both are going to make a pie but they don't agree with each other about the process. It's the same with Magick.

@Trowa: You answered your question yourself, didn't you? When someone smites or applauds you, was it because of your current post or because of post you made a month ago? When having a data regarding individual posts you can easily conclude what is good and what is not (for the community, not overall).
I personally prefer publishing on my blog now as Blogger gives full statistics of people reading my articles. I can see which articles is the most favorite of the day, week, month, year and what searching keywords were used to find my blog and I can react to it.

April 22, 2012, 04:15:22 PM
Reply #48

Trowa

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
@Trowa: You answered your question yourself, didn't you? When someone smites or applauds you, was it because of your current post or because of post you made a month ago? When having a data regarding individual posts you can easily conclude what is good and what is not (for the community, not overall).
I personally prefer publishing on my blog now as Blogger gives full statistics of people reading my articles. I can see which articles is the most favorite of the day, week, month, year and what searching keywords were used to find my blog and I can react to it.
I suppose it's an agree-to-disagree scenario.  I don't think knowing for sure exactly which post causes issues can be good for the site.  There'll always be egregious smites and applauds, but as a whole, people generally know how they act when posting (or will the next morning.)  When someone posts their heartfelt opinions and secrets of their system on the website, and that post above all others is the one that gets smited to oblivion due to the varying opinions of different people, that person can understandably become distraught.  If they leave because of it, then that's one less unique opinion on the website.  Whereas if they don't know which posts cause the smites, the smites might be less damaging to one's ego. 

November 29, 2012, 06:43:20 AM
Reply #49

Dragoon2

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    I like the Darkness...
    • View Profile
Dude! People already don't like me! :eek:

That's actually funny, in a pathetic sort of way... :headwall:
Insanity is my Specialty...

November 30, 2012, 09:17:52 AM
Reply #50

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
@Dragoon2: It's not that people do not like you, just a couple of people hit the smite button next to your messages. There is no meaning hidden in it, trust me.