Author Topic: Spammers  (Read 5309 times)

July 29, 2012, 08:03:12 PM
Read 5309 times

Constructman

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Nothing to read here
    • View Profile
What's with all the spammers today? Don't we have a security system to block this kind of stuff?

July 29, 2012, 08:17:30 PM
Reply #1

supadude

• Posts By Osmosis

• Super Villain

• View Profile
Im not sure if they have the "not a bot" program implemented into the registration process, though it could be advisable.  This spammer may be only a bot. A simple IP ban would suffice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnA8GUtXpXY&feature=player_embedded
A must see study for all!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVWUFDDyAHmC2k1m2rnGvQw
My youtube channel

The proud owner of the 200,000th post made on Veritas.

July 29, 2012, 08:48:37 PM
Reply #2

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Yeah no kidding.  We have captchas, email confirmation, and spambot blacklists, already in place.  But there's one hole that lets them through, and that's the same process that lets any users in:  New people from new ip addresses which don't have a history of spamming are allowed to register.

The only solution is to apply a ban and clean up the posts after the fact, which we do multiple times per week.  The only thing unusual about today's spambot is that it spammed the same thing 20 times, rather than the usual of one or two times.

And Constructman, please do not go around and reply to all of a spambot's posts, and especially do not quote the spam and include the spamming link.  It doubles the amount of work it takes to clean up a spammer when I have to clean up the spam posts, and then clean up all the replies to it that are including the links they're trying to spam everywhere.

(Also, they're bots.  Talking to them is about as useful as talking to your car.)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 08:54:07 PM by kobok »
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

August 24, 2012, 02:09:03 AM
Reply #3

Trowa

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Yeah no kidding.  We have captchas, email confirmation, and spambot blacklists, already in place.  But there's one hole that lets them through, and that's the same process that lets any users in:  New people from new ip addresses which don't have a history of spamming are allowed to register.

The only solution is to apply a ban and clean up the posts after the fact, which we do multiple times per week.  The only thing unusual about today's spambot is that it spammed the same thing 20 times, rather than the usual of one or two times.

And Constructman, please do not go around and reply to all of a spambot's posts, and especially do not quote the spam and include the spamming link.  It doubles the amount of work it takes to clean up a spammer when I have to clean up the spam posts, and then clean up all the replies to it that are including the links they're trying to spam everywhere.

(Also, they're bots.  Talking to them is about as useful as talking to your car.)

I have two barely-constructive comments.

1.)  There's another solution, which is to close registrations altogether. 
2.)  I talk to my car.  It helps.  We bond, so that the car and I don't wind up bonding with a tree.