Author Topic: Training for a Beginner  (Read 1572 times)

March 01, 2012, 08:54:03 AM
Read 1572 times

Zhaloor

• Settling In

• View Profile
Hello, Everyone,
     I hope all goes splendidly. After having looked through this forum and other related fora on the Internet for a couple of months, I decided finally to make an account. I first became introduced to so-called "psychic" phenomena primarily through (fairly-trivial and accidental) personal telepathic experiences over the years, as well as some verified OBE's and dream experiences by people very close to me whose opinions and judgements I trust (still, the extra degree of separation was annoying, and the personal experience are more convincing, even though they be less "powerful"). Originally, I had figured that telepathy was nothing too strange, just transmission and subsequent reception and interpretation of a certain as-of-yet undiscovered brain waves, but recently, I've come to the realization that distance has no impact, and that therefore, these "waves" (I use the word metaphorically now) must somehow be something deeper than standard mere speed-of-light-bounded bundles of information. This fact, combined with a series of philosophical thoughts both on my own and through conducting various research and talking with some close friends of mine, as well as various results in Modern Physics (I am currently a Mathematics and Physics Major at a very prestigious university, which, incidentally, makes me angry at die-hard illogical skeptics, who try to argue based on "intelligence," and claim that those who believe in ("are convinced by the evidence of" might be more appropriate) psychic and spiritual phenomena have none) have lead me to the realization that in fact, consciousness is actually more fundamental than matter (or the equivalent physical energy, to be precise). I later found that I was in fantastic company, as Max Planck had made almost the exact same statement, and in fact, that many of History's theoretical physicists had been, to some degree, in agreement. This new theory/outlook has certainly made my life more enjoyable, as I've finally been able logically to reject the notion that our existence is purely mechanical in nature, resulting only from the brain (which, however complicated, can still be thought of, more or less, as an extremely-complicated physical circuit), which itself is made up of a collection of fundamental particles, which themselves move according to some deterministic physical laws, and therefore, to rescue the idea of contra-causal free will. (Technically, we currently view it as probabilistic, but it's still a sort of "determined probabilism," in that the probabilities are determined a priori, so true free will doesn't really play a role.) It seems more and more that Plato's cave allegory is in fact accurate, and that for thousands of years, the vast majority of people have been observing just the shadows on the wall, unaware of an entire other plane of existence, such notions present in our modern world only in markedly-fictional films and novels!
     Now, getting to the practicality of the matter, I am, as you've no doubt guessed, an amateur in matters of practiced dynamic psi (or any other metaphysical paradigm). At the risk of bragging, I will say, to provide you with more information in judging my particular case (I'm too familiar, in every aspect of life, with the completely-accurate, but nonetheless not-so-useful "it varies from person to person" saying, which usually results from the asker not providing enough information for the responder to give a specialized answer, a practice from which I attempt here to sway), I've always been exceptionally brilliant, mentally, with a fantastic memory (though it's still trivialized, and I, humbled, by the so-called "human calculators") and excellent analytic skills, the combination of which has allowed me to excel in Mathematics, Physics, and Chess (though unfortunately, since coming to university, I haven't had much time for the latter), and to perform extremely well in other aspects of my life. Now, I realize that Dynamic Psi is a different story, so these feats may have significant, little, or no relevance to how I fare in the metaphysical arts. In a sense, that's exactly what I'm asking. I realize that some people might interpret parts of my post as somewhat-pretentious, but I'm just trying to be as straightforward and honest as possible, to provide you with as much (relevant) information as possible about my particular case.
     On that note, I was wondering how you'd suggest I'd train. Patience is not really an issue, with the following caveat: I need to feel, somehow, that I'm always making some sort of progress. If I do, then I'm very patient (at least, reasonably so). It's when I'm not sure that I'm going down the right path, and that my time and efforts might be wasted, that I become impatient and look for some sort of (early) sign to contradict this worry. By virtue of the fact that I'm posting in this column, I've chosen, based on what knowledge I have, Dynami Psi as my paradigm, but this is certainly not a final decision. The topics that interest me most currently are telekinesis (mostly for just for feedback, as I'm given to understand that doing anything on a large scale in this area requires very significant time (if it's at all accomplishable by an ordinary person in this lifetime, where by "ordinary," I mean someone who regards Psi as a part of his life and more of a hobby, rather than a monk for whom it is life)), telepathy (very, very interesting and useful), future selection (I feel that I don't quite understand this, because it seems kind of to encompass everything else, if one can just choose a future in which that's happened, much in the vain of "creative visualization" (btw, how effective is creative visualization in terms of bringing about actual change? It seems a tall order to ask for something and for the universe to do whatever necessary to sway the course of events such that you arrive at that desire).), and overall enlightenment to end this damned existentialist angst that seems to pop up every time one actually has time to sit down and to think at a very fundamental level. To be able to influence dice and other "random" events would be nice, too, though I feel that this falls under "Future Selection" (could someone clarify what doesn't?). Finally, within kinesis, I'd be very interested in biokinesis on myself (nothing too drastic, but I've lost the athlete's-type metabolism that I used to have in my early-mid teens, so I'd like that back, in addition to maybe height, eyesighet, and eye "colour" (I'm not sure whether I care enough to turn my eyes blue, but a lighter shade at least would be nice, so that the pupil (and its dilation) be clearly-visible) and some other minor physical changes. This is actually pretty important to me, personally, though I know it ranks lowly on the path to Enlightenment). So, I'm wondering what kind of practice regimen (make-up and duration) I should go through to achieve these results, and how long each should take. I realize that almost always, more practice means better results, but I think also that the results-practice graph isn't a straight line, namely, that there are convexities and concavities that make a period of time less effective at certain stages and more effective at other stages, and that this may vary from activity to activity. For example, I'm given to understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that for telekinesis, the graph starts off reasonably, but then plateaus fairly-quickly, such that it's pretty easy (relatively-speaking) to move, say, a psi wheel or to roll a pencil, that it takes significantly more time/effort per unit of "improvement" (using, say, weight of the object as a metric (I realize that metaphysically, this means nothing, but after years of conditioning, our brains think that it means something, so this in itself seems to suffice to make heavier objects effectively more difficult to kinet because of our mental biases, which are difficult to change)), such that I've never heard of anyone being able to kinet (much less, levitate) a car (although maybe this is because people who have reached that level of mastery use their powers for other things). Whereas the graph might be different for, say, telepathy, with one being able to communicate better and better with time, without any kind of diminishing marginal returns (at least until much later)? If I should be devoting my focus elsewhere, please let me know.
     Regarding actual practice, I started focal meditation (on a somewhat-poorly-constructed psi wheel made of paper standing on a mechanical pencil) two days ago. The first session was fifty minutes and the second, sixty. In both cases, there were (admittedly-brief) periods during which I believe I was in a deep meditative state. During this time, my forehead and back of my head began to hurt (the forehead hurt a lot more), but I definitely felt very aware and focused, as if I had been living my whole life up to that point in a sort of semi-sleep state. The main difficulty that I encountered during these sessions wasn't focus, but rather, my eyes! I wear contact lenses (my vision is very poor without them), and I had to blink and oftentimes to close my eyes for several seconds to give them a rest, and this in turn made focus more difficult. (Is this a common problem? Suggestions?) Everything I read for the beginner seems to come back in some way to focal meditation, which is why I started it before even registering. Is this the way to go? Is void meditation of any use for metaphysical abilities, or is it just good for relaxation and health? How long should I practice focal meditation before trying to see results of some sort?

I thank you all in advance for the help!

March 01, 2012, 02:04:12 PM
Reply #1

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
Greetings.  :)
I most likely can't answer all of your questions, but I'll do what I can until someone else answers.

First, I don't know if your analytical skills will help in the actual progression of your psionic skills, but with your disposition toward logic and the sciences, I'm sure that you can analyze rather objectively. This will help you ignore any false positives or negatives in your practice. If you use your analyzing skills correctly, you should be able to tell the difference between legitimate successes and false ones, (the wind did it, your body heat did it, etc.) So that should prove useful to you.

Second, Focal Meditation. Whenever I perform focal meditation, I do it without the aid of glasses or contacts, as I feel they strain my eyes when I focus. I cannot assure you that this is a good idea; it may require a more precise focus than that offered by unaided eyes. I can say that I have yet to run into any problems when doing this, and have been able to attain a fairly deep level of focus. Take that for what it's worth.  :P

Third, typically Void Meditation is done for the purpose of calming one's mind and opening one's self up to communication with higher powers. It is also used for relaxation as you said. It's a good way to learn how to control your thoughts.
Focal Meditation is a more active meditation, in my opinion. I find it a lot harder to perform than Void Meditation, but that's just me. Either meditation can lead you to very deep states of mind and help you control your thoughts.

To quote Prophecy, "Meditation is helpful for anyone, with few exceptions."

I hope I was of at least a little help. Good luck!
(18:23) (@kobok) They taught me about that moth in college.
(01:06) (@kobok) (⊙ ‿ ⊙)

March 01, 2012, 02:20:47 PM
Reply #2

Zhaloor

• Settling In

• View Profile
Thanks for the suggestions, Impervious! I was beginning to think that I had rambled so much that no one would bother reading the whole text of my comment, let alone to address any/all of the questions. Haha @ your Prophecy quote. I remember reading that comment of his on kobok's article on Focal Meditation, and I think it's true. I definitely find Focal Meditation much, much more difficult than Void Meditation, which seems almost to come naturally, and I think it's mostly because of the physical strain of keeping my eyes open (especially with contacts). I had debated about taking off the contacts but had worried that my eyesight wouldn't have allowed proper concentration, but the fact that you've achieved it seems to suggest that I should explore further this option.

I was wondering whether you could perhaps answer one of my other main questions: I realize that the need for Focal Meditation never stops, but how long should I practice just that before I should attempt (and have a good chance of succeeding at) some kind of telekinetic (or other objectively-verifiable) feat to make sure that I'm on the right path? I'm sure how you can see that both expecting too late and too early can be bad. And approximately how long should it take me to be able to, say, turn a psi wheel or to roll a pencil? To influence dice with some reasonable success rate (say, getting the number of my choice 50+% of the time as opposed to 1/6)? Before I had even started serious Focal Meditation, I did try to influence an on-line random-number generator. After about 700 iterations, I was only at about 54%, which isn't very significant. (I had decided a priori to stop at 700.)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 03:56:42 PM by Zhaloor »

March 06, 2012, 04:42:42 AM
Reply #3

tor86

• View Profile
I think you should have made the post better and easier to read, because I don't think many here will read the entire thing.. No offense. It was at least for me heavy reading.

You said you were interested in telepathy and telekinesis++. There are other good forums who practice just that, but this one is more active. I can give some links. www.shiftedperspectives.net and www.psionguild.org

As for beginning to be a telepath, you have to do meditation as stated earlier in the post. This will relax your mind and body. The trick here is to have your body completely relaxed, mind awake, body asleep. And remember, you don not use muscles of your body when manipulating psi ( the energy used in psionics ). You only use your mind.

When you have meditated for a while, when you can get at least a lesser relaxation, try to "feel" different areas of your body. It is just like when you hurt your arm or something, then you instantly feel your arm where it hurt. It's a subconscious mechanism. The point here is to be able to do it conscious. To be able to manipulate energy, you also have to "feel".

When you can do this, try to move your awareness from one place to another. As you do this, you should after a while get the feeling of energy. It is in you and everything else. Maybe it some form of magnetism? who knows. As for you who study physics, it might be a science behind all this.

Anyways, why not ask someone here to be your mentor? It can be much better help than doing it alone.

Feel free anyone to correct on my post here if you feel there is a better to way to learn psionics. I just wrote what I feel could be a good start.