Author Topic: a few questions  (Read 2989 times)

December 21, 2003, 02:53:42 PM
Read 2989 times

Smiffy

• Posts By Osmosis

• He's Smiffarific

• Personal Text
    Riding in with a Cow, a Sofa and a Keg of Bleaer..
    • View Profile
okay, i have a few questions.
now as some of you may know, chi is not my area of speciality. i do however, need to know some things in order to write that article i promised Kalee. i can do the magick and psionic part by myslef but i need help with the chi stuff.

Now for the questions:

what is jing, shen and yi.

<Tsumaru> STFU RAITARO, I SHALL DESTROY THEE
* Raitaro pats tsu
<Raitaro> So cute <3

December 21, 2003, 03:02:15 PM
Reply #1

quitewarrior

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
im  pretty sure that yi is intention
i believe but am not quite sure that jing is internal force,not in the dbz sence though, so it won't be able to effect things physically
i have no idea what shen is. Are you making a dictionary?
You can either agree with me or you could be wrong.

What would you rather be,honorable and dead,or dishonorable and alive."

December 21, 2003, 03:09:46 PM
Reply #2

Smiffy

• Posts By Osmosis

• He's Smiffarific

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
sorta, i am doing a terminology article thingy so noobs can learn the terms and their meanings.

* Raitaro pats tsu
<Raitaro> So cute <3

December 21, 2003, 03:42:28 PM
Reply #3

Ninja Kl0wn

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Literally:

Essence - Spirit - Will/Intent
Warning:
Posts by this user may be deemed offensive to people who cannot think for themselves!

December 21, 2003, 05:00:01 PM
Reply #4

intox

• Veritas Furniture

• he-who-posts-lots

• Personal Text
    he-who-posts-lots
    • View Profile
http://www.naturalways.com/treas1.htm (there you can find jing, shen, and qi definitions)..

yi is the intent and will that leads qi...

now that website does not have a complete definition of jing... there is another (of which there are many subclasses... i once had a website on them all but i cannot find it)...

here is a copy from a PM i wrote to someone a long time ago... with this and the website's definition you should have a somewhat complete definition...

one definition is that it is sexual essence and that "it takes life to make life"... basically when performing qi gong jing is changed into qi which then changes into shen over time... jing is said to released during sexual actions and has a large amount of energy in it which is why its important for the change into qi during qi gong (along with the qi we take in from our surroundings)... it is also said we only have a certain amount of jing before we die which is why taoists abstain from sex besides for procreation... many qi gong masters say that one should not practice qi gong for 3 to 4 days before and after sexual actions to allow the body to store as much jing as possible and not lose it... mainly because jing is being actively cycled during qi gong practice and not being protected from being released during sexual actions (i think)...

ok for the power definition of jing it goes like this:

After learning to cultivate qi in the body, one learns to convert the qi into useable power and project it from the body. This procedure is called Fah Jing. Fah means "transfer" or projection," and Jing means "power." As soon as qi is condensed inward toward the center of the body, the mind actively "burns" or "accelerates" it and converts it into a different form of energy - one that feels like an electric current and in some cases even like an electric shock. By following the proper practice procedures, one can then achieve control of this feeling and success in Fah Jing, the transfer of power.

In Xingyi, the primary focus is developing yang, not yin, internal power. The body remains soft until the final moment of contact during a strike at which point the body stiffens. The results are explosive, likened to that of a mortar round going off. In a fraction of a second, the jing is transferred out of the body like a cannonball, aggressively obliterating the opponent.

that definition i got off of http://www.emptyflower.com/xingyiquan/index.html and it is a very respected site in the internal arts community...

there are also sub-definitions of the power definition but i am not sure what they are exactly or their names... i have just seem them when flipping through a tai chi book in a store once but it was related to power so i believe it has to do with the different ways power definition can be applied in different situations.. such as a punch, kick, grapple, etc.
As the tears of a snowdrop,
Traverse my dented scars.
Cleanse the illusions of lonliness,
Oh, wonderous white clusters.
Dissolve the fetters of blinding summer,
And plunge me back into
My "emotional winter".

-A poem of mine...

December 21, 2003, 06:34:02 PM
Reply #5

HaPkIdOKiD150

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
i have been doing hapkido for over 5 years now and my trainer told me that jing is like comprest chi a more powerful chi if you will thats all he told me and if you have some questions about jing just ask and i can ask my trainer  what he thinks of it  :doggie:
:doggie: = me in another life

December 21, 2003, 11:24:46 PM
Reply #6

donjitsu2

• Veritas Furniture

• Hundred-plus Club

• Personal Text
    The Poet of Pugilism
    • View Profile
    • (Un)Caged Fighter
Quote from: HaPkIdOKiD150
i have been doing hapkido for over 5 years now and my trainer told me that jing is like comprest chi a more powerful chi if you will thats all he told me and if you have some questions about jing just ask and i can ask my trainer  what he thinks of it  :doggie:

I would go find another instructor if I were you.

December 22, 2003, 02:33:49 AM
Reply #7

Smiffy

• Posts By Osmosis

• He's Smiffarific

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Quote from: donjitsu2
I would go find another instructor if I were you.

agreed. i do know enough to know that jing is not compressed chi

anyway, thanks for the replies peeps. Hopefully i will have the chi section of the article done soon.

* Raitaro pats tsu
<Raitaro> So cute <3