Author Topic: Abusing Temporal Mechanics for Fun and Profit  (Read 13759 times)

January 31, 2012, 06:21:33 PM
Read 13759 times

TakeV

• Veritas Council
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Mad Scientist

• View Profile
Abusing Temporal Mechanics for Fun and Profit

Ever want to eat your cake before you actually make it? Hereís how you can do it.

The basis of this technique relies on one interesting property of psionics: psi is not limited to causality as we experience it, and can affect the past just as it does the future. However, altering the past can not change things that are known. Hidden data can be altered, and it is theoretically possible for things that have already happened to have been caused by psionic influence from the future.

It is that later application that allows us to abuse the nature of psiís time quirks for fun and profit, taking out a kind of causal loan to do stuff that we canít do now, but certainly can later on. As future selection is using an intent and kinesis to manifest some effect in the future, we shall call this retroselection, which is manifesting an intent with kinesis in the past.

The technique is as follows:
1) Carefully think out the effect you wish to manifest with retroselection.
2) Write down exactly what you want to happen. Organization is key: the more organized you are, the higher the chances of a successful time loop being established. This is the same sort of intent that you would use for a future selection, so make sure you avoid negatives and use as active as an intent you can manage.
3) Write down a reminder in your calendar to perform the retroselection, sometime in the future. Make sure it is as soon as possible, in order to increase the chance that youíll actually get around to doing it, and making sure the intent is still relatively fresh in your mind. What you want to write down is when you wish the effect to happen, and what the intent is.
4) When the designated time for the effect comes around, if all goes well, itíll happen. This is the ďprofitĒ step. ;)
5) When the time you marked on your calendar comes around, perform the retroselection. This is the exact same thing as a future selection, except youíre intent is to actualize the effect that you already experienced.
6) Feel like a badass psionic time hacker.

A warning though: paradoxes are fundamentally not allowed by the universe, it seems. Therefore, if you attempt to use this technique, and for some reason in the future youíll never actually perform the psionic retroselection, then it will fail and you will never see an effect. All time loops must be planned out carefully in advance for a higher chance of success.

The first example would be using a construct before actually making it. The construct, as a psionic object, sits outside of time. There is no reason why you canít use it before itís actually made, just as long as it does get made in the future.

Letís use a focus construct for an example. The purpose of this construct is simple: when the user of it focuses on a sigil that the construct is attached to, then the construct speeds up the rate of gaining focus for the user (this is the basic idea behind the public construct found here: http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php/topic,16587.0.html).

Suppose you wish to create such a construct, but you are having trouble focusing. You have the sigil right in front of you already. It is possible to use the construct before it is made, by focusing on the sigil and thus activating the construct. Once you have gained focus thanks to the construct, you may then create the construct and attach it to the sigil. It is a very good idea to create the construct as soon as you gain focus, for a simple reason: the more time that passes, the less chance that youíll actually get around to performing the act. There is no free lunch, and the work must be done eventually, so the less of a gap between performing the task and using itís effect, the higher chance of success.

Now, the more interesting application. What if you lack psionic ability right now, but predict in the future youíll have it? Is there a way to bootstrap your way into psionic ability? In theory, the answer is yes. Remember, the only time in this technique that requires your ability is at the end!

In this case, your intent should be as follows: ďMy first and subsequent meditation attempts are productive and I gain focus.Ē Make sure you can picture the experience as much as possible. Write down as much as you can about it in a paper or journal or blog, just anywhere itíll be safe. Perhaps make your calendar date when you perform the retroselection about six months from the next time you meditate. Once you do, enjoy a fruitful starting practice. Then, at the end, go back and give your past self a bit of aid.

Lastly, a personal trick Iíve used a great many times, which is sure to be useful for all the students reading this article. Suppose you are about to take a test, but would like the test to be easy. However, you donít have enough time to gain focus and perform the kinesis needed to assure smooth sailing for your GPA. The solution is simple: write it down on your calendar using this technique, and do the retroselection.

Again, I can not stress enough: This is a powerful technique, but it requires an extreme amount of discipline. It allows you to reap the benefits of your work before you actually do it; however, if you never perform the work at all, past or future, then the intent will never, at any time, happen.

Still, once you get the hang of it, it allows you to future select merely by writing down a note on a calendar!

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 12:21:34 AM by TakeV »

January 31, 2012, 07:40:43 PM
Reply #1

Trowa

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I logged in to my account just to post how great of an article this is. 

February 01, 2012, 03:33:10 AM
Reply #2

Willi

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
Have yet to try that beginner's trick. Have you done it yourself or seen someone else do it?

February 01, 2012, 10:14:18 AM
Reply #3

TakeV

• Veritas Council
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Mad Scientist

• View Profile
Have yet to try that beginner's trick. Have you done it yourself or seen someone else do it?

Yes, I've done it myself. All the examples I've done personally.

February 01, 2012, 10:55:39 AM
Reply #4

XIII

• Veritas Teacher
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Ḥ̵̲̗̫͈̩͕̐̓͆o͔͚̣͎͚͜ř̶ͦ͒̈̐͂r͍̱ȏ͉̟̱̬̥̩ͤ̎r̮ͨ̽ͫ ̊ͭ

• View Profile
This is what happens when you stop relying on other people to teach you and start teaching yourself. Take note, newbies!
Great article.
<@kobok> And if you push hard enough, you can shove quite a lot into a chicken.

<@Trowa> When someone told him to jump off a cliff, he argued the semantic meanings of "jump" and "cliff", and then proceeded to do just that.

February 01, 2012, 12:17:49 PM
Reply #5

Mindlessinvalid

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Crazy and Can't Get out of Bed
    • View Profile
I approve of this article. Seeing as temporal metaphysics is my pet hobby, and that the article is well thought out, I can't not. It also doesn't contradict any of the little observations that I've accrued from my practices anyways.

Know that I'm giving you a thumbs up in at least 30 contiguous alternate time-lines on both sides of this one. (Time humor)

I guess you could say that a psion is never late, nor is he early with this technique. He arrives precisely when he means to. It was "premeditated" the entire *time*.
Clothes make the man, and naked people have little or no say in society.

February 01, 2012, 03:57:03 PM
Reply #6

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
This is a fantastic article, and a great idea. I tried it today in an attempt to locate my lost wallet. I didn't end up finding it, but it's interesting to note that somebody else found their lost wallet almost exactly where I was hoping to find mine. Almost certainly a coincidence, but still an interesting one.
This is something I'm going to make a lot of use of when I have my meditation schedule more figured out and/or more practice with other psionic abilities, as I'm sure the fact that my experiment failed was simply due to lack of dedication in the future, or perhaps I'll end up dying before the date I was supposed to perform the retroselection...
Personal tangent aside, this was a great read!
(18:23) (@kobok) They taught me about that moth in college.
(01:06) (@kobok) (⊙ ‿ ⊙)

February 02, 2012, 04:26:49 AM
Reply #7

NathanE

• Posts By Osmosis

• BEEFCAKE BEEFCAKE

• View Profile
Just pointing out your karma is 42... you must be one with the answer of the universe.  :biggrin:
Chance is a word void of sense; nothing can exist without a cause. ~Voltaire

Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.~Scott Adams

ďMechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targetsĒ

February 02, 2012, 06:14:43 AM
Reply #8

Tricky

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
    • My facebook, add if you want
I have actually experimented with this a little bit.. I didnt think anyone else ever thought of it.

February 05, 2012, 05:53:58 PM
Reply #9

TheMasque

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
Similar techniques have occured to me in the past, but they have had one fatal flaw. The event, my cake, does not happen and thus I do not bother creating the construct which is probably why the event doesn't happen. I am going to start having a long session each week where I sit and make constructs, both ones mean to use and ones I intend to have "already" used. Hopefully the regularity and reliability of this system, and the improvement in my construct making ability will start making this technique practical for me.

Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:49:26 PM by TheMasque »

February 26, 2012, 01:18:36 AM
Reply #10

Neeros

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Shaolin Mage
    • View Profile
    • Shaolin Wahnam
Similar techniques have occured to me in the past, but they have had one fatal flaw. The event, my cake, does not happen and thus I do not bother creating the construct which is probably why the event doesn't happen. I am going to start having a long session each week where I sit and make constructs, both ones mean to use and ones I intend to have "already" used. Hopefully the regularity and reliability of this system, and the improvement in my construct making ability will start making this technique practical for me.

Edited for clarity.

Just a hint

I know this is kinda late but if you are still having trouble getting into the flow of things try something simple such as casting to be "happier and healthier" then follow through with it no matter what. Keep this process for the same objective going in cycles for like 4-12 weeks, the longer the better and keep track of overall improvements.
The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him.
- Sun Tzu

[18:22] <Rayn> That makes it worst. If the people can't practically apply and create effects, it is not so good.
[18:22] <metalforever_> okay, and who in the oec can do that? i would say very very few
[18:22] <metalforever_> their too busy fondling their psiballs

February 26, 2012, 09:02:25 AM
Reply #11

Rhys

• Settling In

• View Profile
Just pointing out your karma is 42... you must be one with the answer of the universe.  :biggrin:

Commence internal explosion of laughter

February 29, 2012, 09:00:43 AM
Reply #12

Arkvoodle

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    Diabolical
    • View Profile
This is what happens when you stop relying on other people to teach you and start teaching yourself. Take note, newbies!
Great article.

Teaching yourself is always more helpful. But there are times when you do need someone else's assistance. :3

It sounds great, in theory. The article was very well written and my interest has arisen somewhat.  One thing though, wouldn't it be easier to just do the work and know for certain there and then opposed to waiting until time has passed and trying to alter the past. There's always the chance of failing to do it! :O

February 29, 2012, 12:03:09 PM
Reply #13

Impervious

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Become.
    • View Profile
If you make a firm conviction to yourself to do it at a time when you have the proper abilities, but you don't see your desired result within that timeframe, then you don't have to perform retro selection at all. This should mean that any time you perform this technique, you achieve a 100% success rate, due to the fact that you are performing the actual technique after you get the results, not before.
I find it useful to set the date of my hopeful success rather close to the current time, and set the date of the actual retro selection a month or two down the road. That way, if I don't see my result soon, I have no need to perform the selection later.
(18:23) (@kobok) They taught me about that moth in college.
(01:06) (@kobok) (⊙ ‿ ⊙)

March 02, 2012, 07:08:30 PM
Reply #14

Neeros

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Shaolin Mage
    • View Profile
    • Shaolin Wahnam
If you make a firm conviction to yourself to do it at a time when you have the proper abilities, but you don't see your desired result within that timeframe, then you don't have to perform retro selection at all. This should mean that any time you perform this technique, you achieve a 100% success rate, due to the fact that you are performing the actual technique after you get the results, not before.
I find it useful to set the date of my hopeful success rather close to the current time, and set the date of the actual retro selection a month or two down the road. That way, if I don't see my result soon, I have no need to perform the selection later.

You just killed your own grandpa.
The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him.
- Sun Tzu

[18:22] <Rayn> That makes it worst. If the people can't practically apply and create effects, it is not so good.
[18:22] <metalforever_> okay, and who in the oec can do that? i would say very very few
[18:22] <metalforever_> their too busy fondling their psiballs