Author Topic: Anything going on with the server?  (Read 3081 times)

December 07, 2011, 06:58:10 AM
Read 3081 times

Violet

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Your friendly neighborhood Verigeek.
    • View Profile
I've been getting (500) Internal Server Errors constantly for a week or so now. Did anything change in the server configuration lately?

...Ironically, I just got this error while trying to post this thread. Here's what it says"
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@forums.vsociety.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

December 07, 2011, 08:34:47 AM
Reply #1

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
So I have gone through some searching and found out that web hosting of VSociety.net is DreamHost. DreamHost contains also site called http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/

Here you can see any problem related to the server. I believe those times pretty much match with those when you or I see those 500 status.

December 07, 2011, 11:21:28 AM
Reply #2

Violet

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Here you can see any problem related to the server. I believe those times pretty much match with those when you or I see those 500 status.
This doesn't seem very likely, as it only reports an offline system and two webservers that failed to boot for today. If this were the case, I should be unable to access the website at all. Instead, I seemed to be getting these errors at random intervals, almost as if the servers were having trouble allocating enough resources to handle my requests. I thought of a possible DDoS, and I could find something about that at December 5th, but they say the servers seem stable now. Also, if no one else is having this problem, then it -should- be on my end (which is weird, because code 500 errors don't happen because of client-side misconfigurations).

December 07, 2011, 11:35:44 AM
Reply #3

ArcaTuthus

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Grateful not yet Graceful
    • View Profile
I have been getting the same since yesterday morning, as well. Only when I try to navigate to the forums from the forum index, if I go to unread posts, I am able to get around it then have no problem after.
And how!

December 07, 2011, 02:00:58 PM
Reply #4

Violet

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I'd like to report that I haven't had any issues this evening, so presuming I won't see the same error tomorrow, consider this issue solved for me.

December 07, 2011, 02:24:30 PM
Reply #5

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
I haven't experienced this error in quite some time, but I checked the server logs, and the site did appear to be experiencing some sort of intermittent (not consistent) database errors for a couple hours this morning and a couple yesterday.  Then again more briefly on Friday.  The errors I see in the log would cause precisely the error message you saw.

As it's a shared server, and an even more shared database, these sorts of errors are usually detected and resolved before I even have a chance to report them.
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

December 07, 2011, 02:42:23 PM
Reply #6

Violet

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Ok, I thought I should report this just in case. At least it's nothing serious. :)

December 18, 2011, 02:49:12 AM
Reply #7

Dagoth

• Settling In

• View Profile
To the moderators/admins:
When I googled on "veritas society" it gives the notification that the site might be hacked.
Following the link brings me here: http://support.google.com/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ei=dsTtTsCTCIy0-QaUrqyKAg&answer=190597&?sa=X&ved=0CB8QpwgwAA

"You are what you love and you love whatever you give your attention to."

December 18, 2011, 03:25:42 AM
Reply #8

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Thank you for the notification.  There was some minor spam about gum disease on one of the wiki talk pages.  I can only assume that was the source, because it now says there is no problem:

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=vsociety.net

(It also says there was never any dangerous content detected.)

EDIT:  There was additional spam content found which was removed.  Google has notified us that this issue has been resolved.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:28:41 AM by kobok »
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.