Poll

Should the karma system apply to threads, posts, and/or people?

Remove the karma system entirely.
0 (0%)
Karma should apply to people only.
1 (7.1%)
Karma should apply to posts only.
1 (7.1%)
Karma should apply to threads only.
1 (7.1%)
Karma should apply to people and posts.
2 (14.3%)
Karma should apply to people and threads.
0 (0%)
Karma should apply to posts and threads.
4 (28.6%)
Karma should apply to people, posts, and threads.
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: August 29, 2011, 04:00:55 PM

Author Topic: Vote: What should karma system apply to.  (Read 6904 times)

September 01, 2011, 08:36:11 AM
Reply #15

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
Well, there shouldn't be anything that should change during time in Karma mod...
But I know that public SMFs are sometimes too much overcomplicated...

September 01, 2011, 09:08:42 AM
Reply #16

Rafnul!

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• he-who-posts-lots

• View Profile
The karma mod does change over time because of how it integrates into every other aspect of the site.  There is a place for it in every template, the posting code, and the board display code.  Each of those files has to be updated with functionality that points to the karma.php file or displays the relevant data in the SQL tables.  Any time those files get updated, we would have to manually enter the code again if that was how we chose to implement it.  The packaging process works by essentially searching through a file for a given text item and then inserting text at that location.  What packaging serves to do is automate the installation process (and you can easily test the mod on a dummy server when a new version is released before making it live).  It actually isn't overtly complicated, but SMF is a fairly large body of code, so unless you know a lot about it already, there is a familiarity gap that makes the package creation process more time consuming.

I was a major proponent of this system in the first place, and I'd like to see it well-implemented.  At my current level of familiarity I could probably get it done in an evening; I just won't have a free one for a couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:12:01 AM by Rafnul! »

September 01, 2011, 09:11:38 AM
Reply #17

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
That's exactly what I mean. I always preferred created my own CMS so I knew what was in and how it was done and I didn't need time to learn how to create new modules, where to put them, what conditions have to be met and what can f*ck up everything. I was forced to enhance Drupal few times and I wasn't very happy about that...

September 01, 2011, 09:20:21 AM
Reply #18

Rafnul!

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• he-who-posts-lots

• View Profile
The advantage to using a public canonical build is security.  Because the code is popular and in a lot of places, and there are a lot of developers working on it, there are also a lot of people looking for vulnerabilities, and a lot of people fixing them.  I think the administrators of Vsociety have taken the logical approach in this regard, because adding in new features might be slightly more of a pain, but the pain of recovering from a 15 year-old having a heyday on your server is something no one wants to experience (but also necessitates relatively frequent patching).

September 01, 2011, 09:29:33 AM
Reply #19

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
Security is also one of the reason I didn't want to use publicly available SMF.
I have always made a good care of security (I am paranoid from nature) and had a lot of friends that helped me with that.
If you want to attack some site, the best thing you can do is to find out CMS they are using, download it and search for $_GET, $_POST, $_COOKIE and $_SESSION variables and find out which user inputs are not secured. I say also $_SESSION because when server is wrongly configured, these can also be changed from user's side.

Another thing you can find in some public CMS systems are default passwords, hierarchy and security of folders containing sensitive data and some other nasty stuff.

Damn, those were creepy 7 years of my life... :D

September 01, 2011, 09:52:46 AM
Reply #20

Violet

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Your friendly neighborhood Verigeek.
    • View Profile
Ah, the good ol' security through obscurity.

September 01, 2011, 09:56:56 AM
Reply #21

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
Yeah, many encryption systems were based on that idea.

#1: You cannot read our messages because you don't know Navajo Code
#2: You cannot read our messages because you don't know setup of our Enigma
#3: You cannot read our messages because you don't know the width of our column
#4: You cannot read our messages because you don't know the encryption key

September 01, 2011, 05:35:49 PM
Reply #22

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Well, until such a time as anyone does implement the ideas, I guess this poll relates more to an opinion poll (why didn't I think of putting that in the OP earlier?! >_< )

Thanks for looking into it!

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

September 04, 2011, 07:19:57 PM
Reply #23

Mindlessinvalid

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Crazy and Can't Get out of Bed
    • View Profile
Just so everyone knows, on my game development forums that I used to moderate(but still contribute to) we created an automated post rating system. It tends to backfire even though for the most-part it's really good.

It rates posts on spelling, grammar and formatting, but unfortunately creates ratings based on error density. So a person with only passable grammar and spelling can get a lower "fail rating" while a person who posts a quick blurb with one or two mistakes can get a massive "fail rating" worthy of a poorly spoken troll.

Still, when not in off-topic (where the scores deviate from their intended values the most) the "fail" system lets us decide with a quick glance who is legible without having to jump head-first into a wall of text. Also, by adding an "Epic Fail" stamp to the corner of posts that are too illegible we can egg people on into being more legible with their posting. That feature isn't really needed here, but our old (and current) fanbase all have atrocious command of the english language.

I'm not saying we need, or even should implement this. I'm just pointing out that I helped develop (on the testing and suggesting workarounds end) a non-exploitable rating system.

We actually really can't apply such a system here because the needs of the respective forums are drastically different.

And I'd like to add that we lost our domain, but I think I can get Kirb (our web admin, the guy who wrote our forum spell/grammar checker mod)) to devise something for here while our project leader locates a new domain for us.

Basically everyone in the project I'm in is a genius of one sort or another (especially ash, he's done some pretty godly things with coding) and Kirb is no exception. Given that we're all basically sitting here with our thumbs up our asses (especially Kirb, he only really maintains the forums) I'm sure he'd welcome something to do. If someone who maintains these forums reads this, just shoot me a private message (I log in here at least once a day even if I don't post) with some specifications and I'll ask kirb. He finds this sort of thing fun on some level, I get that feeling from him since hes almost never not doing some weird coding experiment on the forums I worked on.
Clothes make the man, and naked people have little or no say in society.