Poll

Do you....

tell your parents about what you can do?
7 (41.2%)
hide the fact you can or know anything about it?
10 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: tell all or hide?  (Read 3850 times)

April 23, 2004, 11:03:50 PM
Read 3850 times

sweet_evil_angel

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
hey i was just wondering do you ppl tell there parents about you do what or do you hide it from them? me...i hide it from them. they would freak if they found out! i feel as if they will its a bad feeling. how did every 1 tell their parents?

April 23, 2004, 11:24:32 PM
Reply #1

Azazen

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
you should have the choice of 'tell your parents a wee bit and then never talk about it again' :P
What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy...

If we are able to step out of what we think is so "obviously" correct, we should.

April 23, 2004, 11:27:33 PM
Reply #2

sweet_evil_angel

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
i agree but my mum is full like religious and would think im the devil or something but wid dad its kool cause he is the one who started me on it and is like my teacher but we cant tell mum or she will prolly disown me! lol

April 24, 2004, 05:31:39 AM
Reply #3

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
I told them. They were a bit skeptical. I showed them the truth. End of.
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

April 24, 2004, 08:25:04 AM
Reply #4

crow

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
Thats what I did... I told them and talk about it only sometimes but I have learned the hard way only to tell your friends that your positive wont make fun of you... I told them they believed it for a whild then she made fun of me :(  and we had a big fight (no she was not and will never be my girlfriend).
~crow

April 24, 2004, 01:10:05 PM
Reply #5

ChezNips

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Teacher

• View Profile
Back when I was a teenager, my mother would go thru my room periodically looking for stuff and would confiscate my books regularly.  I worked a full time job plus highschool and activities so I earned my own money to purchase the books and other materials so she knew and would throw the devil worshiping witchcraft in my face.  People that don't understand or are ignorant to it are afraid of it.  That didn't stop me though, I kept buying books and I got a special locked box with a key from my grandmother that I started to keep things in.  Also I must admit at that age I thought I knew everything about magick and the occult but I didn't know squat.  Of course there was no internet back then.  I think if you hide things that you are doing some subconscious damage because you know you have to surpress them and end up supressing your talents.  I dont think you have to hide, just dont volunteer information unless someone asks.
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

April 24, 2004, 01:28:50 PM
Reply #6

Enlightenment

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/3nl1ght3nm3nt/index.htm
i kinda told them and kind of not; they always knew i was into martial arts; so i just told them Qi manipulation was a subsidy (spelling?) of martial arts..and they had no problem with it; and as for psionics..they noticed it before i have, my mom always used to freak out because i would do things as a kid like changing the TV channel and such without touching a remote or the tv, just thinking about it happening; and seeing things before they happened, and speaking about it.

they knew i was an adept, before i realized it; and as for qi, i think they know all about it now, if not then oh well

i put no though, mainly because i thought the thread was something stupid like "if you got into trouble, would you let your parents know?" because in all honesty, i dont think that many here would  :p .

i know i wouldnt anyway; but now that i read it..wish i wouldnt have voted that way, oh well  :confused:

Be Well
En: Get into a class.
Preferably a Hatha Yoga class.
Avoid Yogas
Power Yoga, Fitness yoga, Wellness Yoga, Energy Yoga.....
What about NINJA SEX YOGA!!! Is that alright?
Tsu: No :P
ROFL

April 24, 2004, 08:09:41 PM
Reply #7

sweet_evil_angel

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
thnx guys! you relli helped alot! i will try to give it to her slowly and drop major hints i hope that all will go well

April 25, 2004, 12:38:39 AM
Reply #8

Darkduck

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Veritas' Nazgūl
    • View Profile
    • OMG VERITAS CLICK HEARE!
My uncle taught me in the fine arts of Chi-manipulation, my room is a mini-dojo and I've been doing this since I could WALK :P my parents are believers, but they don't practice themselves. So I guess I never really had to tell them :/.
"Well, aside from sustaining massive internal injuries in a plane crash, and being chased by the army, the navy, and a troop of girl scouts, yeah, I'm, uh, just peachy."
~DD

April 25, 2004, 01:34:03 AM
Reply #9

Murray

• Veritas Furniture

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Pull my finger, I'm an Aikidoka
    • View Profile
Hmmm, I kind of did things the Azazen way. This was back when I practiced Lentation, and they wondered what all the bouncing noices was. So I told my mom, and of course she didn't believe me. A week later she asked again if it really worked, and I said "Yeah, I've experienced seconds that were 3 times as long as normal ones", and kind of took away the drama by saying "oh, you know, some crazy shaoling monk figured out long ago. Big deal." and well, parents, or grown-ups in general don't care much for these things (not most girls either by the way), and I think she has forgotten it. I wonder if she would be more surprised if I told her about the energy manipulation thing. And my dad certainly would be more interested, as he is a scientist. I guess the trick is to not tell them everything at once, just let them get used to it gradually.
"A dream where I slowly suck out a clown's vital organs with a hoover is a GOOD DREAM!"
 - Darkduck

April 25, 2004, 11:10:31 AM
Reply #10

quitewarrior

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
for a while i kept it a good secret. Then when i first started in cyrokinesis thats when my mom got suspcious. I was using my own way back then. What i would do is take very cold showers and try to recreate the feeling of the shower when i got out to get use to it. Then when my mom came into my room in the middle of summer and it was freezing cold she began to suspect something. Especially since are air conditioner never works. Like two of my friends know because i was playing tricks on them and when they knew something wierd was goining on they asked me. O ya and for all cyrokinetics, a good trick is too cool your surroundings as much as possible during the summer.
You can either agree with me or you could be wrong.

What would you rather be,honorable and dead,or dishonorable and alive."

April 26, 2004, 06:39:23 PM
Reply #11

sweet_evil_angel

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
thank guys, im working out a way to drop major hints slowly i hope she doesnt freak too much

April 26, 2004, 06:50:26 PM
Reply #12

XIII

• Veritas Teacher
  • Posts By Osmosis

• B̮̜̳̲͕ͦ̍͟ͅe̡̋̈́ͬ̐ả̬̹̳̼̫̜̟͂͛ͣû̓͑̚t̀̉҉̤y̌͂

• View Profile
since we're not a religious family, my parents were very supportive. well, except for my dad. he thinks im a wackjob. (even though its true :) )
<@kobok> And if you push hard enough, you can shove quite a lot into a chicken.

<@Trowa> When someone told him to jump off a cliff, he argued the semantic meanings of "jump" and "cliff", and then proceeded to do just that.

April 27, 2004, 01:39:18 PM
Reply #13

beehe

• Posts By Osmosis

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Who ceast to exsist
    • View Profile
i had to hide it my brother almost was dissownd for my parents finding out he practiced magic
~who cares who anyone is long as someone cares about them~egotism at its strongest point

April 27, 2004, 02:17:20 PM
Reply #14

Zake

• Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Staff

• Personal Text
    Veritas Staff
    • View Profile
With me its sorta tough.  I hide it, mostly out what seems a basic necessity:  While my actual parents I can't particularly imagine being too distraught over it (though I can certaintly imagine them thinking I'm wierd), my stepdad is a psychiatrist.  For those of you who don't know a psychiatrist, this implies that he considers belief in anything supernatural (even including mainstream religion) to be worse than heroin.  Hes gone on particularly vitrolic rants about new agers (which isn't bad in itself, I suppose) and hes a staunch supporter and proponent of James Randi (which is annoying) and a few TV shows which "debunk" basically everything (which are laughable, in my view).  There would be real feedback here if I revealed hints of OEC-related activities.

Now, my stepmom is a pagan.  Don't ask, 'cos I don't know.  In either case, it would probably be almost as bad if she found out, given that shes one of the really religious-fluffy wiccan types and I go for the psionics/direct magic sort of stuff, so at the very least it would be a messy situation.
Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.