Author Topic: Direct Magic  (Read 3008 times)

April 23, 2004, 09:39:45 AM
Read 3008 times

Agent47

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    Jujubeans 'n such
    • View Profile
I was sondering how many people here used direct magic.
Don't ask, just know.
Then again, to ask is to know....
Or is it the other way around?

April 23, 2004, 10:10:06 AM
Reply #1

the_flojo

• Veritas Furniture

• Flojo Mojo!

• Personal Text
    Yarrrrrrrrr!
    • View Profile
I do.  Don't have the patience for that ritual stuff.
When you describe a senseless act of destruction, such as building a catapult to launch a minivan through someone's livingroom window, to a group containing both males and females, you get these reactions:

Males:  Cool!
Females:  Why???

Thus, we see the fundamental difference between the sexe

April 23, 2004, 10:33:32 AM
Reply #2

Trillis

• Posts By Osmosis

• Has a lot of posts

• View Profile
This is basically my topic repeated.. -.-'

April 24, 2004, 08:55:10 AM
Reply #3

Agent47

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    Jujubeans 'n such
    • View Profile
oh sorry, I didn't see yours. I apologize. Please, no more replies
Don't ask, just know.
Then again, to ask is to know....
Or is it the other way around?

April 24, 2004, 12:20:49 PM
Reply #4

kakkarot

• Posts By Osmosis

• 0. The Fool... Inverted?

• Personal Text
    Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB
    • View Profile
what? no, this topic is different from yours trill. this topic is asking about using magic directly, without rituals or spells. whereas yours is asking who actually does ANYTHING in metaphysics rather than just talking about it. this one is more specific.

it's like the difference between asking does anybody here eat (trill's topic) and who here eats apples (this topic).

~kakkarot
Philippians 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,  7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

April 24, 2004, 01:12:05 PM
Reply #5

ChezNips

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Teacher

• View Profile
I do direct magick, I also don't particularly care for the involved rituals although sometimes they do have their advantages.
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

April 24, 2004, 01:17:44 PM
Reply #6

Fire Essence

• Veritas Furniture

• he-who-posts-lots

• Personal Text
    he-who-posts-lots
    • View Profile
I'm not exactly a 'fan' of TLOK or anything but I do do non-ritual magick soem times so I guess according to a broad definition I do direct magick sometimes.

April 25, 2004, 11:03:41 AM
Reply #7

Mystinar

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mystinar.net
I must sound stupid right now (despite my high IQ), but what is it?  I am new to magick.  Only yesterday did I actually cast my first spell.
If we do not move past negative concepts such as hate and violence, we will never experience the golden age we desire.

Pure Psi Central: www.mystinar.net

April 26, 2004, 10:49:42 AM
Reply #8

Azazen

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Direct magick is directly manipulating energy and 'programming' it to do what you want, casting a spell using direct magick would be gathering energy and telling it to do something like helping you find your keys.  Im usre theres a better example and i might have just explained Pure Energy Magick but i dont think there is a difference so if im wrong someone please correct me :)
What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy...

If we are able to step out of what we think is so "obviously" correct, we should.

April 26, 2004, 11:45:45 AM
Reply #9

Samael

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
In my opinion, defining direct magic as 'programming energy' is overtly degrading; and belittling the entire methodology as a whole.  If one was to associate said definition, it would clearly imply energy, as a phenomena has sentiency; which is a paradigm, not proven, thus far.

In short, direct magic (imo) can be summed up as: a methodology relaying upon the magicians will, causing change in hirs environment -- void of ritualistic elements (e.g. staffs, circles, rocks etc).  The system is magic in its purest form, as itís the magician and X magical current, rather then: magician + energy + rock + staff + scroll + amulet + candle + robe etc.  Ritualism is a fine art in its own right but, one which serves as a psychological crutch; and a detrimental one in the long run (e.g. having to cast a circle, evoke arch angels, pray to a god, perform cabbalistic cross rites etc -- for simply wanting to summon a lesser daemon, etc).  Practitioners fail to realise the symbolism used in ritualism is subjective, and should remain as such if aspirants want to make noteworthy progress.  It's the equivalent to a British magician using Native American symbolism, possessing no true understanding and relation to why things are used, what they represent to the *culture* etc.  Thus, ritual magicians should break the habit of using foreign symbolism; creating their own, thus yielding more powerful results.

I'm not going to waste my time debating which methodology is better, as I've tried both and have found DM to be far more effective and efficient in practice.  Users are free to practice under whichever methodology (ies) they see fit -- as each has its price.

Sovereign

April 27, 2004, 12:00:51 AM
Reply #10

Azazen

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I didnt mean to degrade and belittle magick sov  :p .  I didnt think there was much difference between Pure Energy Magick and Direct Magick, even then PEM is more complicated than i explained.  *wanders off into the night*
What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy...

If we are able to step out of what we think is so "obviously" correct, we should.

February 27, 2005, 06:49:06 PM
Reply #11

Dark Heart

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Meh... I do whatever tickles my pickle at that point and time...

A little water please, I taste you all over my teeth.
Never again, just tonight? Okay.