Author Topic: Definition of soul  (Read 801 times)

June 09, 2011, 02:33:04 PM
Read 801 times

Willi

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
Yesterday I witnessed a discussion on the chat about the definition of the soul. I decided to create this thread, so each individual (from the different paradigms) could give their description of what the soul is.  :wink:

June 12, 2011, 05:52:24 AM
Reply #1

Violet

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Your friendly neighborhood Verigeek.
    • View Profile
Hm, I prefer to stay out of dictionary wars myself, but if I had to participate, I'll have to agree with what kobok says in this thread.

Quote from: kobok
The two [soul and spirit] do tend to be used in slightly different contexts, however.  I think "soul" is more often used when one is referring to the non-physical component of the living self, while "spirit" is more often used to refer to the dynamic characteristics of the living self.  Consider, for example, "That music has soul," implying there is some depth or deeper meaning to it beyond the obvious physical or superficial characteristics, while "if you consider the spirit of the speech" refers to the underlying essence or character.  Because of these related meanings, "soul" and "spirit" end up used in these slightly different contexts.

This is why I personally tend to say things like "psi is performed by the soul" and "spiritual growth is important", but in actuality, spiritual growth refers specifically to an improvement of the character of the soul, which in turn improves the performance of psi.  So these things are not really separate, they just have slightly different uses in English.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 06:30:53 AM by Robin »