Author Topic: Beginning Lucid Dreaming (Need advice on my technique)  (Read 1672 times)

January 04, 2010, 01:22:21 PM
Read 1672 times

DG1993

• View Profile
Okay, I want to begin Lucid Dreaming.
What I have been doing every day is reality checks. I will look at my hands and consciously ask myself "Is this a dream?". I have read these will help me become more aware of when i am actually dreaming.
Secondly,I have been writing my dreams down, but this doesn't seem to be doing much for me. I will continue doing it regardless.
Is there any more things i can do? I have yet to become lucid during a dream. i know it will come in time, I am just wondering if i am missing anything else here.

January 05, 2010, 06:04:14 PM
Reply #1

Iatros

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
The reality checks are good. You need to do them frequently enough that they become habit, so that your subconscious hits some trigger and performs the check in a dream.

If you're not already, the efficacy of your journal can be improved by writing in the present tense. Another method that reportedly works well (but that I have yet to try) is using a voice recorder. If you try this, close your eyes, and re-visualize the dream while narrating it. Also, try reading the journal before you sleep; remembering previous dreams seems to activate the mindset of remembrance. I feel that reading the most recent dreams is most effective... older dreams are still interesting because they are almost always forgotten, and I suspect that remembering them permanently can aid in long-term dream recall.

Other things...

If you haven't, try playing with your sleep cycle. The most realistic lucid dreams I've had occurred when I took an afternoon nap and during several occasions dozing off on planes, or after I returned to bed in the morning after waking up for a few moments. A sleep from a rested state encourages wakefulness within the dream.

Play around with various methods for lucid dreaming, abbreviated as MILD, WILD, etc. Experiment a bit, find something that works with you, and ritualize the practice to let your subconscious know what you are attempting to do. Making an attempt to lucid dream indistinguishable from normal sleep has been counterproductive for some.

If you're up to it, take some melatonin. Some are averse to any sort of medication, but melatonin is a natural compound produced in the body to regulate sleep cycles. Many people who use melatonin as a sleep aid report vivid dreams, and occasional lucidity.

I hope I've been some measure of help... It seems that most of the above is quite commonly stated, so if I'm regurgitating your previous knowledge, my apologies.
"And in this lies my honour and my reward, - / That whenever I come to the fountain to drink I find the living water itself thirsty; / And it drinks me while I drink it." - Almustafa

January 06, 2010, 01:44:15 AM
Reply #2

Searching

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Just Sayin'
    • View Profile
My lucid dreaming frequency and lucidity went up a lot when I combined it with some kind of meditation- namely, awareness.

Reality checks in and of themselves don't always work- I've had many dreams in which I do reality checks, or someone even tells me, "reality check to make sure this isn't a dream", I do something like look at my hands, and I don't go lucid.

Reality checks, instead, are the trigger to pull your consciousness together, into that moment, to be aware, alert, and critically examine the situation in which you find yourself.

To that extent, reality checks which aid in reinforcing that awareness I've found the most useful. Hands, thinking back the last 5 minutes, even asking yourself, "why am I here?".

Also critical is recognizing your own personal dream signs, which you can do with your dream journal. When you can recognize things that are unique to you and your dreams, those are most likely to appear and you are more likely to become lucid.
"For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was." - Captain Barbossa, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

January 10, 2010, 11:04:29 AM
Reply #3

Iatros

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I just want to add... when you do become lucid, save yourself some time by remembering a few things...

Generally, when doing things with your eyes in the dream, it will affect your physical eyes... therefore, don't open them. To clarify things, pay more attention to the details around you instead. It could be running your hands along a wall and seeing what makes it feel the way it feels, or anything really. Try to see your surroundings as a whole.

If you have trouble moving, mimick the -feeling- of moving your limbs. You should only need to do this for a few seconds before falling into an instinctual pattern of movement.
"And in this lies my honour and my reward, - / That whenever I come to the fountain to drink I find the living water itself thirsty; / And it drinks me while I drink it." - Almustafa