Author Topic: Lucid Dreaming- Something Else?  (Read 3063 times)

December 17, 2009, 07:59:06 PM
Read 3063 times

Searching

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Just Sayin'
    • View Profile
So for a while I've been developing my ability to lucid dream. In my best instances, I was having between 1 and 3 every 1 to 2 weeks. Usually though, it came as a result of some question or issue that I've been having, and I've wanted to see what would happen if I asked it in a lucid dream. Lately I've been focusing on lucid dreaming and just developing my sense of "self" in my lucid dream- being able to increase how lucid I am and my general mobility in lucid dreams.

The easiest way I can become lucid is recognizing dream signs- I've studied my dreams for a long time, and I can recognize some pretty obvious dream signs, which kick me almost instantly into a lucid dream because I realize what's going on. But lately those dream signs have been occurring less and less- my dreams are becoming much more realistic, so much so that it seems like I am just going throughout my day normally (though not in a "false awakening" sense).

In those types of lucid dreams I have some kind of mobility, and my ability to interact with other parts of my dream is about average in terms of ease.

There are other instances in which I suddenly just "pop" into becoming lucid. These are clear and crisp, I can interact with other characters perfectly. But there doesn't seem to be an obvious trigger to them. It just seems to happen. I'm not recognizing dream signs, I'm not seeing something that makes me realize it's a dream.

There are other instances in which I have normal dreams, and in my dreams people tell me, "remember to have a lucid dream!" so I say to myself, "be lucid, be lucid, be lucid" over and over, but I don't become lucid.... I'm sitting there saying it, but nothing!

So just thinking about lucidity, just examining my surroundings, doesn't seem to induce lucidity, and if it does, it's only average in terms of clarity. There seems to be something else.... but I have no idea what it could be. This is my first time asking about techniques on a forum, especially because I think everyone gets to this stuff in their own way, and it's a personal thing but this place seems to have some really good people, so I thought I'd throw this out there and see what you guys have to say :)
"For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was." - Captain Barbossa, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

December 30, 2009, 06:40:51 AM
Reply #1

Dagoth

• Settling In

• View Profile
About your dream signs changing, when you change they will change I guess.
A book which I found really interesting and I'm quite sure you will too is "The Ultimate Lucid Dreamer's Manual: From Basics to Beyond" by Marc van de Keere. He's also talking quite extensive about reality checks to become lucid in your Dreams.

Good luck ;)
"You are what you love and you love whatever you give your attention to."

December 31, 2009, 11:49:29 AM
Reply #2

Searching

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Just Sayin'
    • View Profile
About your dream signs changing, when you change they will change I guess.
A book which I found really interesting and I'm quite sure you will too is "The Ultimate Lucid Dreamer's Manual: From Basics to Beyond" by Marc van de Keere. He's also talking quite extensive about reality checks to become lucid in your Dreams.

Good luck ;)

Thanks for the book recommendation, I will certainly look that up.

But again, lucid dreams that I have when doing reality checks usually aren't as clear or "lucid". It's funny that the best lucid dreams I have are dreams when I just "pop" into lucidity. Which to me suggests it's something different from just reality checking.

Also, cool name Dagoth :) Was it inspired by this Dagoth? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagoth

Or Dagoth Ur from the Elder Scrolls universe? (all of which seem to be involved with  dreams?  :wink:)
"For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was." - Captain Barbossa, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

January 30, 2010, 01:17:22 PM
Reply #3

Nervous

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
After learning to lucid dream, and doing it a few times, my dreams got far more realistic too, and I acted more realistic in them.
A few times I realized that I was dreaming and either I was only intellectually aware of it, as in I knew it but it didn't hit me that I could take advantage of that information, or I became lucid and my dream started fading away. (Run on sentence...)
There is nothing you can do that I have not already done to myself.

January 30, 2010, 07:25:44 PM
Reply #4

darthlobo

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Padawan Learner
    • View Profile
I think by trying to force yourself to become lucid after a dream character says to won't do it.  I think at that point the dream is not a lucid dream, but you sort of just interacting with yourself.  Maybe instead of telling yourself to be lucid, try doing something you aren't already doing in the dream, like flying or changing your appearance or something.  Maybe by changing the parameters of the current dream, it will become a lucid dream.
I choose the Twilight Path to the Dawn.

January 31, 2010, 12:11:12 PM
Reply #5

Tomega

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
@Searching

Why do you use "dream sings"? I think you take whole thing about lucid dreaming too complicated. Use this scenario, and success will be wery quick.

1. Use "Dream Diary", to record all dreams that you dream previous night. Important note. When waking up, do not move yourself much while in bed. Slowelly acknowledge that you are waking up. And take pencil and your "Dream Diary" in your hand and write all things that you can remember that you dreamed.
During day you would probably remember more details from your dream. Take pencil and peace of paper in that case to write all of it down.
2. After only few days, about week, you would have many details from your dreams. So at that point use only short record of main points of your dreams.
3. Use "Thought control" to quite your mind, and autosuggestion "To remember all your dreams and becoming aware that you are sleeping"

You could advance this part of "lucid dreaming" and expand it by creating "dream" that you will dream that night. Every night before you go to sleep you could visualise your dream, and coming to one point of your dream that you will be aware that you are starting "lucid dreaming". And once you achive that you could go from that point in your dream where you want.

Do not know are you using "Dream Diary", but it is quite helpfull.
Other important thing could help. Did you try to turn your alarm clock to ring it in some time during the night. Wake your self up for few minutes, 10-15. And again go to sleep. This could be helpfull as a "trigger".  Do not know how much my advices can help you, but I think that "Dream Diary" and visualising specific dream that you want to dream and become aware that you awake in your dream are quite important for lucid dreaming!

To Know, To Will, To Dare and To Keep Silent

February 03, 2010, 01:40:53 PM
Reply #6

Searching

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Just Sayin'
    • View Profile
@Searching

Why do you use "dream sings"?

Because they work  :P

They are what I have gathered from years of keeping a dream journal, so yeah, have all that down.

But again, they don't always work. And I've thought about constructing a lucid dream, but I don't know if I really like that method. Same with the setting alarm clock at different times- I prefer the natural approach, on top of that, I am a college student with a roommate, I can't be waking up all hours of the night trying to get the right dream cycle  :P

to darthlobo- yeah, the flying and stuff I can do pretty naturally, and that usually happens when I am lucid, or is a good lucid trigger (any time I fall is also a good dream sign, I usually go right into flying/lucidity). But again, they have gotten to be super realistic, so I'll be sitting in class or something taking notes as usual. I think it comes down to awareness in general, which is what I'm working on actively in the day time as well, so I'm just going to keep at it.