Author Topic: BJJ or Kuk sool won?  (Read 2313 times)

November 06, 2009, 12:57:14 AM
Read 2313 times

talibah

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    You say psycho like it's a bad thing.
    • View Profile
I want to take up a martial art the beginning of next year and have two options to choose from. My two options are Brazilian jujitsu and Kuk sool won. These two are taught at schools near me. These are the factors I'm looking for:

1.Fitness-Which one will get me into the best shape?

2. Real world fighting-Itís been six months since Iíve been training, which one will less likely get my ass kicked in a street fight?

3. Movement-I want fluidity, but also hard, fast strikes. I want training in both hand and leg techniques.  I also want to learn throwing, falling, and acrobatic techniques.

4: Weapons- Which one teaches you how to fight with and disarm weapons?

Which one fits most of what I want?

Note: If anything Iíve written doesnít make sense let me know. Itís 4 am as Iím typing this.  :cow:
Tantra says, forget the god. If you are the animal, understand this animal in it's totality. In that understanding itself, the god will grow...-Osho

November 06, 2009, 10:05:22 AM
Reply #1

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Both are good arts, but given the parameters you have chosen to value, Kuk Sool Won is the better choice for you.  But as with all arts, it all comes down to the instructor where you are, so go visit the school to try it out.  Pay attention to the teaching style of the instructor, and pay attention to the typical skill levels of the students that have been there for a while.
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

November 09, 2009, 08:44:09 PM
Reply #2

talibah

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    You say psycho like it's a bad thing.
    • View Profile
I've been reading a lot of negative things about Kuk sool won. I know that all martial arts have their pros and cons, but from what I've been reading people have been dissing the hell out of kuk sool won. What's so wrong with it?

I've been giving Brazilian jujitsu more thought. When I've been in fights, I've always been partial to throwing people on the ground (or jumping on them)  and choking them out instead of trying to punch them. So maybe I would be a natural at BJJ. Also I'm really short (5ft) so maybe a grappling martial art would be better for me. I'm not saying it would be impossible for me to succeed at a different type of martial art though.

More than likely, I'm gonna choose Kuk sool won if it doesn't turn me off when I check it out.  
Tantra says, forget the god. If you are the animal, understand this animal in it's totality. In that understanding itself, the god will grow...-Osho

November 11, 2009, 09:31:28 AM
Reply #3

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
People also diss the hell out of Tae Kwon Do, but I'd place my money on the one TKD black belt I've met over the majority of other martial artists I've seen.

The more relevant question is: How hard are you going to train yourself in order to become what you want to become?

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

November 22, 2016, 06:32:27 AM
Reply #4

Drmaus

• View Profile
Hey,
As a short guy looking at martial arts, I'm very curious as to how this turned out, now that 7 years have passed.

Thanks

January 30, 2017, 10:23:59 AM
Reply #5

TheAghora

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
With what you said you wanted, BJJ wont give you that. Though keep in mind, most of these schools have eliminated a lot of the practical aspects of self defense, by changing key things that you wouldn't know. When I did TKD a long time ago, there was a movement where you would rip the testicles off of someone, hold them over your head and allow them to bleed on your head. The move was changed to be a forearm block above your head.

Weapons, acrobatics, Arial kicks, etc. Most of that stuff isn't going to help you in a street. That stuff will get your ass kicked. Unless if you carry a knife or stock/baton. Don't kick. If you do kick, don't kick above the knee. It's not a good idea to be on one leg, it makes your balance not so good :). Though telling you take BJJ isn't a goo choice ether. Most fights, from what the FBI says, statistically end with one person on the ground against 2 people, usually with a blunt weapon. So, you would more then likely get bashed with a stick, a bat, or something.

BJJ is some good stuff, but not the kind of thing you want to do on the street. Never give someone your back. Don't make yourself vulnerable. Wing Chun is a good option for you. Search for something local. It's really easy to find now. If it's a little bit away, go once or twice a month. Train at home. I learn Lu Shi Xin Yi Liu He, as taught by Yu Hua Long, who taught my teacher. I learn once a week, I take it and I train it, I train hours a day. If this is what you have to do, do it. I've also trained in the Hebei Xingyi, which is more common, and Wing Chun. Wing Chun is easy to find, easy to pickup and learn. You still get to learn some cool weapons too, which is neat. You also develop some amazing reflexes and smart hands.

My two cents.