Author Topic: Stuck in a dream  (Read 2700 times)

March 27, 2004, 02:08:20 PM
Read 2700 times

Watarimono

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    My eye
    • View Profile
Has anyone ever had a nightmare or otherwise wanted to wake up really bad but failed? This happened to me alot as a child and just recently started happening again. I know im dreaming but for some reason I have no control of it whatsoever, which in itself is very disturbing because I can usually exhibit some degree of control over the dream.

When I was a kid it was an actual object that made it impossible for me to leave a dream. If i was touched with a bottle of diet coke I couldnt wake up. Dont ask why it was diet coke, because I dont know. But no matter how hard I tried to throw myself out of my dreams, I couldnt leave. Then the dream turns into a horible nightmare and I cant do anything about it except let it take its course, like it was being forced on me.

That was like 6 years ago. Now its happening again and it scares the crap outta me whenever it happens, and leaves me sweating when I wake up. I tried to ignore it when it happens and that just makes it worse, ive tried realizing and saying out loud that its just a dream and it cant hurt me, but I feel pain in my dreams and it just makes it worse. It feels like it lasts forever.

If this happens to anyone else, or if you have any insight on what it could be, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -George Bernard Shaw

March 28, 2004, 11:03:11 AM
Reply #1

Enlightenment

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/3nl1ght3nm3nt/index.htm
it may be related to your subconsious, you know; i would suggest looking at the "laws of the mind" and "divisions of the mind" articles, as well as anything that psipog has to offer

first post on this name, yeah!!!  :cow:

Be Well
En: Get into a class.
Preferably a Hatha Yoga class.
Avoid Yogas
Power Yoga, Fitness yoga, Wellness Yoga, Energy Yoga.....
What about NINJA SEX YOGA!!! Is that alright?
Tsu: No :P
ROFL

March 28, 2004, 05:04:28 PM
Reply #2

rurounibatosai

• A Veritas Regular

• Banned

• Personal Text
    Banned
    • View Profile
meditate or if u have the dream again study it it might be a cause of ur mind
that there is somethin in dream that may help u

I first met I Ching above the forest,  
near the clear spring,
when gathering clouds darkened the day,
and Mt. Shasta was silent.
His long beard was black as emptiness,
ear lobes to his shoulders,
holding obsidian in his hand,
pointing to the sun,
eyes staring into infinity,
his long body clothed in silence.
We exchanged "hellos"
smiled and bowed,
a barbarian and an Immortal,
both panting from the climb,
laughing,
ten-thousand echoes
between our rocky minds
After billions upon billions of heartbeats past
(for he must have been 888 years old),
I was so bold
as to ask the ancient one
for the sacred mantra of yore.
He lifted his wisk,
and brushed my face,
I could not speak,
my lips were stone,
ideas stopped
I was alone.

March 28, 2004, 05:48:36 PM
Reply #3

FRoST

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
The same thing happens to me.
Usually I dream that people are in my room, there is a threat.
But I can never force myself to wake up.  Somtimes I will wake up and realize that there is no one there, then fall back asleep into the same dream like state.
"If you run, you will only die tired!"

March 28, 2004, 06:10:50 PM
Reply #4

Nekodaimyo

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
i ussually experience this kinda thing when something was really disturbing me. Look up some cleansing meditations. My favorite is the meditation of twin hearts in pranic healing. Master Choa Kok Sui may not be the wisest man on earth but at least he got that right. Look him up and he'll send it to you for free.
世界の支配者と言われると、お世辞でもうれしい。

March 29, 2004, 09:44:39 AM
Reply #5

spirit

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • gaiaonline.com
it could be a precognition dream....but im not sure why you cant wake up.

March 31, 2004, 09:58:36 AM
Reply #6

the_flojo

• Veritas Furniture

• Flojo Mojo!

• Personal Text
    Yarrrrrrrrr!
    • View Profile
Go lucid.  Then, just beat up whatever's bugging you.  That way, you won't even need to wake up.
When you describe a senseless act of destruction, such as building a catapult to launch a minivan through someone's livingroom window, to a group containing both males and females, you get these reactions:

Males:  Cool!
Females:  Why???

Thus, we see the fundamental difference between the sexe

March 31, 2004, 02:45:21 PM
Reply #7

Frozen

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• Personal Text
    Posting chief
    • View Profile
Childish fears. It's not actually the coke can that's making you have these nightmares. It is somehow locked inside your head that if you touch the can you will have a bad dream and that no force in all the world can change that. There are two options I might suggest you take. The third the poster above me mentioned already.

You could turn around and face your fears head on and see that really there is nothing to fear there. Meditate on it a little before sleeping and just do it. It's not like anything bad is going to really happen to you in this dream, except perhaps a make believe fear that keeps you up all night. So yeah, turn around and bite that big scary dog on the ass.

Or another choice would be to just go lucid, pick up the can, and see if it still happens. If it does, just realize that it /is/ a dream and that it cannot harm you. Figure it out lucid, and then possibly when you have the same dream it would spark your memory and you could fight it back, or simply ignore everything.

I did have a better suggestion but the phone rang and I lost my train of thought... but I will post later on if I remember. Good luck, be well

~Frozen
* chirss was kicked by kobok (Denny Crane)

I CARVE EVERYTHING YOU SAY INTO MY LEFT ARM!
~ V

<ShoresofPluto> how often do u ignite fires with ur mind?
<kobok> On occasion.

[20:06] <kobok> XIII:  You wear your girlfriend's pants??
[20:06] <XIII> kobok: On occasion.

April 01, 2004, 12:23:19 PM
Reply #8

sinister

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I think its just sleep paralysis. It happens to both me and my dad. My dad can't wake up at all on his own. In mine I think my eyes are part way open because I can always see my room, but theres always something that holds me down and cuts at my stomach. I know its a dream so I just watch it happen (actually I can't see my stomach or the thing but oh well). Luckily I can force myself awake after the worst part is part way through. Before I never new it was a dream during it but your body kind of adapts, and it just becomes a burden when it happens.

April 02, 2004, 09:53:41 AM
Reply #9

Watarimono

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    My eye
    • View Profile
Ok, first, thanks for the insight and the replies. second, Ive tried to go lucid like in my other dreams, but to no avail. I mean I actually realize im dreaming, but I have no more control of the situation than I would in a hurricane in real life.
 I know there is nothing to fear in dreams, sometimes im not even scared when it happens, but nothing changes. Well, the dream is different every time, but the effect stays the same.

Ive meditated on it many times, but can find no link or any similarity whatsoever to real life or personal thought. I like pop!

Sleep paralysis... It could be, its the only rational possibility, and if it is, its the wierdest case ive ever heard of, let alone experience. Anyone know how to rid yourself of sleep paralysis, be it physical, subconsious or otherwise?

Again thanks for your input.

PS. It was a bottle of pop  :p
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -George Bernard Shaw

April 03, 2004, 01:23:14 PM
Reply #10

sinister

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I looked on the internet and found a website on sleep paralysis. www.trionica.com This site is very cheesy though. It describes the exact same symptoms for sleep paralyisis that have been talked about throughout this thread. It also talks about being abducted by aliens which almost lost me, until I figured out it was describing people that are in sleep paralysis and dream about alien abductions that appear real. The site gives you two choices while your in the dream,and gives the example of the dream being a gateway. Just check it out and see if it helps.