Author Topic: The Reading Comprehension Construct  (Read 16818 times)

August 13, 2009, 12:41:52 AM
Read 16818 times

Kettle

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
The Reading Comprehension Construct

Introduction

Reading and learning are two things that can be greatly assisted by the proper application of psionic practice. The purpose of the construct detailed in this article is to assist and improve upon the process of information gathering when we read. This construct has a very specific and limited use however the concepts it requires to operate can be applied very widely.

Reading and Psionics

As good practitioners of psionics we wish to acquire skills related to our study that we can also apply somewhere else in our lives. As psions, we know we are not limited to only a physical solution to a problem and for this reason (as well as the sake of an easier life) we look to apply what we've learned in psionics to our daily lives. In the case of the construct in this article improving the process of learning and acquiring knowledge is what we will apply our psionic skills and knowledge to.

Books and schools are effective methods of learning, there's no question of that. You can learn by first hand experience and personal testing but if you have the ability to acquire knowledge on a subject from someone or something who has already learned it before you it is a great advantage to your learning. To the psion information is limitless, fluid, and free, and though it is the author's hope that at one point we can eventually move beyond physical means of information gathering the act of making an improvement on an existing learning device through the use of psionics is certainly a step in the right direction.

Application

We know that the book is a relatively fast and effective way of providing information about any particular subject, but what does a book lack in teaching ability? And what can psionics do to improve upon that lacking?

The written word, when used well and with good explanation, is a very effective in providing information. However, due to space constraints and the expectation of previous knowledge not all concepts will be completely explained in any written work. For example this quote was taken from the book Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by A.C. Phillips (2003);

“The sideways momentum of the observed particle has a similar uncertainty, because momentum is conserved when the photon scatters.”

The problem in reading this quote is that the majority of people who read it will not actually know the what the quote is talking about and even if the entire book was included there is just so much precursory knowledge that goes into understanding this type of information that still many people would be not understand it. To actually understand what the written word is trying to convey in this quote we would normally have to consult many other sources of information, which can be very time consuming. This is where psionics can lend a hand.

'What we say' and 'what we mean' can often be two different things and this is the biggest disadvantage of physical communication, psionic practice on the other hand is not physical in nature. What someone means to say or means to write is to the soul a single piece of conceptual information. The complete understanding of what someone is trying to convey through words is just easy to acquire information to the soul because of the fact that all information is stored in the conceptual information, as well, and this is very beneficial, it is the writer's direct intent to have the reader understand their words, thus we already have intention and expectation working for us without having done anything at all ourselves.

The 'complete understanding of a subject' is a significantly larger piece of information than one would normally obtain from a single sentence or paragraph, however to the soul this is still a nearly insignificant piece of information and quite simple for it to handle. To the learning process the soul's ability to manage this information is quite beneficial because instead of just attempting to understand what the author has written on the page you will understand it exactly as the author would, precursory knowledge and all.

Making the construct

A construct of this nature should be very simple to create. Structure is almost completely unimportant because the construct has really only to do one specific thing, which is; 'When the user is reading the construct will transfer the exact understanding of what is intended to be explained directly to the soul.'

As always the conceptualization of the construct is up to the creator, and if a better conceptualization can be thought up they are encouraged to use it.

Using the conceptualization above if this construct functions properly not only will it allow for a detailed understanding of any written work it will also drastically increase the comprehension speed of the user as the larger portion of the content will be transferred to the soul by the construct.

The way in which the information/understanding will be transferred (what form it takes, visual/auditory/etc.) is entirely up to the creator of the construct, however, it is more likely to be beneficial to keep the conceptualization of the transfer very general. If we only conceptualize 'understanding' and expect that the construct will be successful the construct will then use whatever method is most appropriate for the conveying of the information, thus we will always come to understand the information in the best way possible.

Considerations

It is possible with enough development on similar lines as this construct that at some point in the future we will need only be aware of the written work's existence and the intended understanding will be transferred to us in a completely understood form and not have to bother with all this eyeball usage.

A similar construct using similar guidelines could be created for the purpose of understanding the meaning behind a person’s speech, which would be great for when attending lectures or having conversations. This is essentially the same construct however the intended information to be gathered would be what the person is intending to mean by their speech instead of the written word.

The construct explained in this article is not limited by the understood languages of the reader. Think about it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 12:50:25 AM by Kettle »

August 13, 2009, 01:06:39 AM
Reply #1

Hech

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Do you mind if I ask to what extent you have successfully used this construct and what were your experiences?

August 13, 2009, 05:15:13 AM
Reply #2

Silver_Archer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Prophet of Doom

• View Profile
If I understand this correctly, the construct you're suggesting allows a reader to understand the authors understanding and intent behind a sentence or a group of sentences. This will benefit a student in the process of learning, as the student no longer needs to rely only on the understanding pieced together by the student, based on the words used to convey it. This brings me to my question: if an author wrote a sentence, but meant to say something different, would the reader using your construct methodology pick up on that? For example, if author meant to say something which he or she deemed inappropriate to say out of courtesy or respect or any other motive, and instead said something else, milder or perhaps different, will the reader pick up on this? Similarly, if a person lies in a written statement, will the reader pick up on this?
<Forg> Everything is adjustable when you have a saw.

August 13, 2009, 12:38:12 PM
Reply #3

Kettle

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
Do you mind if I ask to what extent you have successfully used this construct and what were your experiences?

As far as I can say I've had good success with this construct over the last four months (I think that was how long ago i had realized it). At this point, because I don't have the author there beside me as I read, I cannot necessarily confirm with certainty what I perceive and understand is true, and so at this point it remains mostly subjective experience.

I actually came up with this construct because I resume school in September, it's going to be a very hard course and I wanted to give myself any advantage I possibly could. In doing a lot of reading in preparation and using the construct I have found that my comprehension speed is quickened, I require less review and re-reading, and I did not necessarily expect this but I'm understanding the material in a much more visual-spatial way. Normally I am not a visual spatial learner but much of the content is anatomy related so it makes sense that it would be presented by the construct in this way. But again, this is all subjective experience.

Best to try it for yourself.

If I understand this correctly, the construct you're suggesting allows a reader to understand the authors understanding and intent behind a sentence or a group of sentences. This will benefit a student in the process of learning, as the student no longer needs to rely only on the understanding pieced together by the student, based on the words used to convey it. This brings me to my question: if an author wrote a sentence, but meant to say something different, would the reader using your construct methodology pick up on that? For example, if author meant to say something which he or she deemed inappropriate to say out of courtesy or respect or any other motive, and instead said something else, milder or perhaps different, will the reader pick up on this? Similarly, if a person lies in a written statement, will the reader pick up on this?

The reader will pick up on this provided he has created the construct properly.

As an example, though I don't like to get into my personal life over the internet, I work in hospitals on the patient care end of things. In my field of work I occasionally have patients who are schizophrenic. If anyone has ever seen a schizophrenic's writings or drawings you will know what I'm referring to when I say that they often attempt to explain through words and pictures how they view the world, and this view is very strange and full of odd connections that no normal person would make. Since creating the construct I've been able to see a few pieces of work created by a person with schizophrenia and interpret them through the construct and I can honestly say I don't recommend doing it. You get a piece of understanding you can't understand, and I don't really have words to describe that.

-k

September 13, 2010, 11:16:24 AM
Reply #4

AriesofGod

• Settling In

• View Profile
My brother described something he was taught in school once in simply picturing an orange on the back of your head, and not focusing so much on the words or meanings of what he was reading, in order to sort of speed read.  This might in its own right be a similar sort of construct.  One thing I have learned from trying to increase my comprehension periodically throughout my, so far, short, life - is that I do experience a sort of sensation when I really get reading, even when it's for comprehension.  Last year I took a chemistry class and really couldn't help but see atoms, molecules, and particles spending around each other in microcosms or macrocosms; it was just the best way knew to learn the material at the time.  What I can tell you is that I have always done this throughout school growing up, from geography and history, to math, literature, and science... and have never studied much, but I am, for the most part a B, student (I went to hard schools, and college was too much, you have to study a bit).  But the last semester I was in school people (I sat with on a regular basis) would ask me how I'm doing so much better at the quizzes, tests, etc.  when I really studied was about 15 minutes before the test and (maybe) an hour the night before.  I just told them I can see it in my head (lol no way, of course I was cheating!) ... no but seriously, that's all there was  to it for me.

Considering what my brother learned about this orange thing and what little I do know about speed reading and my personal experience with visualization, this theory most definitely holds water in my honest opinion.  The back of your head is where your subconcious and comprehension (and memory) areas of your brain lie and at the very least attaching a mental energy to them will deactivate the concious stress you feel in the frontal parts of your brain where you can so often get distracted and/or try too hard to understand what you're learning.

If I could add just one thing to possibly aid the use of this mechanism of understanding, it would be to not focus too much on the sensation of the mental energy / knowledge flowing into your brain.  On this construct, keep in mind that it is plugged in directly to specific parts of your brain, even if you are not aware that it does so, or what those parts of your brain are or do (@Kettle Of course, studying anatomy I'm sure you do).  I'm just saying to keep in mind that energy is going to change and flow into these specific channels in the construct differently as you are gaining various pieces of mental knowledge.  So, it shouldn't always feel the exact same, and once you've comprehended one piece of information let it move on to the next.  Also, I'm sure there is a perfectly practical explanation other directly reading the ~author's intent and transferring it to your 'soul.'  Not that this is a bad method to use, and it's better to use that method then to not use the construct at all, but consider that you are literally taking in knowledge and mental energies that are all associated with the book (author, publisher, teacher that has read part or all of the book, students around you reading and comprehending at different speeds and levels themselves), but even beyond the scientific material in the book was not discovered by the author more than likely, but all of these other books and scientists related to the material are also connected to it.  If you are truly trying to understand what the book is trying to teach... all of those matters come into play.  In all honesty the author of the book might just be quoting other books and may not have much ~true understanding of the material itself, but just how to organize the information in a way that will make sense to the reader.

Lastly, allow me to jump on this bandwagon of one more possible entity you can draw understanding of the material from... the creator of that material itself.  Okay, maybe the scientists who discovered this material didn't necessarily create it, but neither do they have a complete understanding of it themselves (Engineering might be a different story).  And, maybe you don't believe in an intelligent design, or creator, but something put these laws into motion or at least has been aware of these laws, phenomena, etc., to have a deeper understanding of them.  So -there- is probably also a great source of the truest understanding you can achieve without directly tapping into the conciousness of the specific phenomena itself as it exists in the world around you.  Of course it may also be wise to tap into a more relatable source first and then let it quickly, or gradually, flow to the ultimate truth you are seeking about the knowledge you are obtaining.

Remember also, that these constructs are adaptable and as the energy flow changes so can your construct so don't forget to adapt the creations for the most controlled, and natural, energy flow.  I think this construct is a great idea, and thank you for sharing!  But here is one last, very mundane tip for school.  If you want true understanding, thats one thing, and something you should always strive for above all else.  But goods grade are also going to help you advance through life as well, so, remember your finals and tests you are going to have to take.  Tests try to ask questions that no one will be able to get (freaking, trick questions) and they also make questions that are incredibly easy that everyone should get.  -Someone- makes these tests and probably hates their job (lol, jk, maybe, maybe not) either way, for one thing:  they don't always have time to make a good test, for another:  there's certain material that the schools want to make sure you learn and focus on (right, wrong, or indifferent).  The way the book is written (but as well as previous curriculums taken from previous books), is going to determine what will be on your test.  The worst tests are the ones are old and need to be updated and ~Everyone~ is failing them because the questions weren't in the freaking book.  I see how this construct can still help in these situations, but don't lose heart if it doesn't always work the way you were trying to use it.

Thanks for the excellent idea!  I really wouldn't have had so much to say if it wasn't so thought-provoking.  So thanks again!  I learned a lot and I hope I could put a little spin on your perspective about this construct.

September 14, 2010, 08:49:19 AM
Reply #5

Armond

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
Hmm very interesting Ill have to give it a try. Thank you for the great article.
There is never nothing going on but, till one has purified the interior viewing the exterior won't help.

September 15, 2010, 05:56:39 PM
Reply #6

Kettle

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
@AriesofGod Thank you for your response, and I appreciate you taking the time to give you analysis of it. Of course I feel it necessary to respond to a few parts;

On this construct, keep in mind that it is plugged in directly to specific parts of your brain, even if you are not aware that it does so, or what those parts of your brain are or do

The way I specifically chose to word the conceptualization of this construct we are specifically bypassing the brain and directly transferring the information gathered to the soul as the brain often adds extra interpretation and noise to the information making clarity harder. I am not sure if you are aware of the Dynamic Psi definition of the soul but it is such that the brain is a physical construct and the soul is not, two entirely different things. The soul is your consciousness, that of you that is aware, the brain is an information storage and processing organ.

Though as always I like to say that the conceptualization used is up to the creator of the construct.

consider that you are literally taking in knowledge and mental energies that are all associated with the book (author, publisher, teacher that has read part or all of the book, students around you reading and comprehending at different speeds and levels themselves), but even beyond the scientific material in the book was not discovered by the author more than likely, but all of these other books and scientists related to the material are also connected to it.  If you are truly trying to understand what the book is trying to teach... all of those matters come into play. In all honesty the author of the book might just be quoting other books and may not have much ~true understanding of the material itself, but just how to organize the information in a way that will make sense to the reader.

The conceptualization for the construct was stated in a very precise manner such that we avoid the opinions and thoughts of the publisher, teacher, and students around you, and go straight to the authors intended understanding of the information. Publishers, teachers, and students tend to add their own interpretation of the authors interpretation and this cannot only add confusion but can also be just downright wrong. We needn't absorb and "mental energies" we are simply acquiring and transferring raw understanding of a subject which we can then consider it ourselves and add to our understanding. Granted this is not always going to work perfectly, as you say the author might not fully understand it, but the method suggested cuts out as much useless and potentially inaccurate information as possible, which I've found is most likely to succeed in these situations.

And, maybe you don't believe in an intelligent design, or creator, but something put these laws into motion or at least has been aware of these laws, phenomena, etc., to have a deeper understanding of them.

I cannot say that I'm one way or the other on the subject of a creator of the universe, but if I was able to contact a creator of some sort I don't believe I'd be asking them about school :) I think a reasonable goal though would be to be able to interact with and gather information from the conceptual domain rather than the physical.

Remember also, that these constructs are adaptable and as the energy flow changes so can your construct so don't forget to adapt the creations for the most controlled, and natural, energy flow.

Personally I don't really pay attention to or consider the 'flow' of any energies within any psionic practice. I gather the necessary energy to complete the task but psi can simply go where needed with the properly formed expectation and actualization, and it doesn't need to actually traverse space in a physical sense either. Any 'flowing' of energy your experience I would imagine is your own expectations about the nature of the energy as it is highly adaptive to expectations of the psion.

-k

September 16, 2010, 08:12:23 PM
Reply #7

AriesofGod

• Settling In

• View Profile
Thanks K, for the enlightenment on the working of Psionics.

I am not much of an adept at any form of occult or psychic arts and am trying my best to understand and use them together for my purposes.  My key purpose is always to propose the evolution and advancement of all ideas, however, allowing control of such ideas to remain in the hands of those who choose to use them.  As I do not have much experience in anything, I tend to throw my thoughts out there for others to interpret and use them as they choose, and I welcome criticism so that I can understand all things better

I know I really could do with some more reading on these subjects, and I am obviously working towards those ends now.

Any 'flowing' of energy your experience I would imagine is your own expectations about the nature of the energy as it is highly adaptive to expectations of the psion.

This is really good to hear, and it is statements like these that encourage my pursuit of these studies.  I must admit that I am a little better at meditation and I really ought to be practicing some now.  But as time allows, I can only do a little more reading before resting up for the 'morrow, so I am off to see if I can find some specific resources on for studying the art of the psion, as well as checking out some relevant topics on this forum.  I have been in pursuit of studies in magick, but I found an understanding psi to be both intriguing and greatly beneficial thus far.  Thanks again for taking time to build on my understanding of psi energy and I look forward to its great assistance in your studies!

September 17, 2010, 02:56:17 AM
Reply #8

Kettle

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Veritas Furniture

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
Thanks again for taking time to build on my understanding of psi energy and I look forward to its great assistance in your studies!

You're wekcome :)

-k