Home
Forums
Chat
Help
Search
Retro
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 11:37:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:

Advanced search
216493 Posts in 15417 Topics by 19932 Members - Latest Member: - Rai Most online today: 117 - most online ever: 430 (June 28, 2007, 02:58:51 PM)
+  The Veritas Society
|-+  Discussion Areas
| |-+  Other
| | |-+  Meditation while sick... good, bad or ugly?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Meditation while sick... good, bad or ugly?  (Read 2480 times)
Ax-Man

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2009, 03:43:33 PM »

I picked up a nasty head cold over the weekend and it is really bugging me because I just started up practicing again.
I am trying to push through it because if I put off training while I am just starting I will just end up not doing anything.
Anyone have any practicing while sick stories?
Hech
Posts By Osmosis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 06:54:07 PM »

I would posit that starting practice could bring on an initial sickness through certain karmas being sped up. If so, you gotta push through. As for practicing while sick, passive exercises are probably fine (like the soham meditation, thought control, etc.). But it's probably best to stay away from most active exercises like magical accumulations or yogic pranayams, which can just strain your body more and possibly spread the sickness further. I dunno though. Get well soon!  Azn

TakeV
Mad Scientist
Veritas Council
Posts By Osmosis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 12:40:38 AM »

I'd say it's more ugly. It couldn't hurt, but it does tend to be a pain, especially if you like to start off with breathing exercises like I do.
If you think you could manage meditation, then props to you, otherwise, I don't see much harm with missing a couple of days while you recover, so long as you stick with your routine after you are feeling better.

Steve
Posts By Osmosis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 12:07:57 PM »

Certain types of meditation can help you become well(er) again. Pay particular attention to focusing on becoming healthy, intaking healthy energy, making yourself healthy, or whatever visualization/paradigm you use. Also remain relaxed; straining your mind, body or soul will just aggravate your problem. In particular, I find breathing exercises help a great deal.

But also make sure to do things like drink plenty of water and eat properly. Metaphysics starts off by aiding the physical Smiley

~Steve

Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?
Ax-Man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 04:01:52 PM »

Thanks for replies and sound advice. Had to hold off on the pranayama for a few days, can't breath to well, but I am getting better. I don't really want to take a few days off because if I do I know I won't start again. If I start something I need to stick to it. I'll just stick to asana and thought control for a while till the congestion clears up.

But also make sure to do things like drink plenty of water and eat properly. Metaphysics starts off by aiding the physical Smiley

~Steve

Great advice, on more than one level. wink
Kichara
Posts By Osmosis

Row, Row, Row Your Boat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 07:04:45 PM »

Huh, when I have a cold I just blast on through usually >.>

Meditation, pranyama, hatha, the whole deal. I just use a neti pot and those types of things and maybe do some extra rounds of Bhastrika. Then I continue.

Hey, whats up?

Please vote in my poll:
http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=12212.0
Hech
Posts By Osmosis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 09:20:29 PM »

While Sukha Purvaka is ok for some people, I would think Bhastrika is actually bad during a cold, as it would pump sick prana throughout the entire body. I mean, I could be wrong though. The Maha Mudra technique is a cure all and will help to heal you tremendously, and there's some qi gong technique that does the same. I think Prophecy mentions in a post somewhere.... something about pushing the moon and sky or something or other...

Horvath
A Veritas Regular

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 04:37:45 PM »

It's fine. Stay within reason, and work on meditations and practices that are more mind or soul centric, as opposed to body centric. Don't try to stretch your limits, and generally take it easy until you are well again. Makes sense, yes? And I didn't have to use any tough-to-pronounce foreign words.

As others have said, it can be that you've fallen sick because you have started practicing again. Since it is rather common for the body to become weak or fatigued when the mind or soul have been pushed to their limit, take this into account. Have you tried anything particularly difficult or exhausting? Avoid things like that when just starting practice, and do your best to safely expand your limits rather than overstep them.
Ax-Man

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 05:41:05 PM »

Thanks for the replies all. I'm better now. I just took it slow for a week. It is kinda funny how I got sick right after I started meditating again. The strange things is no one else got sick. Not even my wife, not my family, not her family, no one at work, just me. Weird.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: