Author Topic: Ki  (Read 1628 times)

May 29, 2009, 06:03:33 AM
Read 1628 times

Li-Ten-Ra

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
Ki
Ok so after having practiced Qi Gong and Tai Chi for two years, this question is for people to post ideas and thoughts.

When people describe Ki to me, they make it sound as though it is a different bodily energy than chi, because chi is meant to heal where ki is meant to destroy. This makes since because of the Ying-Yang theory, where for every light within us there must also be a dark.

So is Ki its own energy?

I tried to root out the idea of Ki and Chi being a similar, if not the same, energy. I worked with someone who believed they were two entirely different things. He first told me something that I learned from Tai Chi, so I hold it as fact.

Chi is a universal energy, found in all co-existing things, and has no one source. When you practice Tai Chi, you take Chi in from the world around you, and you become a channel through which the energy may flow and be given direction.

However, he believe Ki had a source within us. Jus bellow the belly button and in the direct center of our bodies, he believes we have a flowing energy called Ki. In this way, Chi and Ki were opposites.

Chi = Universal, Ki = Local

He had me do a series of meditations in which I discovered the source of Ki, and felt the effects it had on my body. Whereas Chi makes the body stronger through a spiritual context, Ki is purely physical. When the energy is rushing through your system, you feel as though your muscles are turning to steel, as though they are growning, and the effects are similar to adrenaline.

Again they are opposites

Chi = Spiritual, Ki = Physical

We tried using Chi and Ki in ismilar ways, describing how the two were very different. However in the ned, I came up with 3 points that default Ki, at least to a point.

1. The energy source he kept using was the exact same location as our naval chakra, is it not?

2. Ki and Chi "feel" like the same energy, they just have different effects when used

3. If Ki is supposed to be capable of all the same things as Chi, as it should through Ying-Yang theory, how come it cant heal our bodies?

May 29, 2009, 07:48:12 AM
Reply #1

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ki

Notice that the second link from the bottom takes you to Qi, which is also called Chi. They are all different names with the same referent.
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

May 29, 2009, 07:18:36 PM
Reply #2

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
It's difficult to say they are exactly the same thing, as the japanese cultural views of "ki" are not 100% consistent with the chinese views of "qi". If I were to hazard a guess, I would assume that like several other things, the japanese adopted the basic concepts of qi from the chinese and then adapted it to their own lifestyles and worldly/spiritual views.

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

May 30, 2009, 05:27:31 PM
Reply #3

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
They are the exact same word, but in different spellings.  Some of them are just different Romanizations (translation into Roman letters), like chi and qi, and some are the same word Romanized from different languages, like chi (Mandarin Chinese) and ki (Japanese).  Since chi and ki come from different languages, there are slight differences in how they are talked about because there are slight cultural differences about the ideas.  But this does not indicate any fundamental difference between chi and ki, just a cultural one.

For maximum understanding, you should feel free to use the techniques from different cultures interchangeably and even in combination, choosing whatever technique is most convenient for what you are trying to do, as they are all working with the same fundamental thing.
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

May 30, 2009, 05:41:43 PM
Reply #4

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
Quote from: Steve
It's difficult to say they are exactly the same thing
A thing is only identical to itself. I did not say they were identical, I said they had the same referent. :)
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

June 16, 2009, 08:18:30 AM
Reply #5

Allelelujha

• Settling In

• View Profile
Tho the concepts are a bit different i belive that chi and ki are the same thing only just different spellings
"We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation. It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think that yours is the only path."

"When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willin